Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nectar Skin Bar Opens in DC

Nectar Skin Bar is the DC-area's newest beauty destination! Owned by Amy Thomas Little and Brian Thomas (owners of IPSA for Hair), Nectar is an oasis for those who want to be pampered, as well as product fanatics (like me) who are always on the lookout for exclusive, international, and boutique beauty brands.

I was invited to attend one of Nectar's pre-opening events. When I arrived, the purple exterior and front-yard garden hinted that Nectar was my kind of place. Once I opened the door of the upper Georgetown townhouse, I was sure. Lining the shelves were beauty products galore - a beauty addict's dream. From the well-known Darphin and Clarisonic, through the latest Supergoop! and Butter London sensations, to Comfort Zone, an exclusive line characterized by Italian taste and a gentle, natural approach to skin care, the stock delighted me.

Indoors, Nectar is partitioned into cozy rooms, each with a focus. There are special places for your manicure or makeover. Upstairs, I saw a lovely, private massage room, but was drawn to the pedicure area. It looked beyond comfortable, with its bar of luxurious, deep couches and cozy, modern tubs for your feet. There's plenty more, including a fenced-in back-yard garden with sumptuous benches for gathering, or an outdoor massage. Today, with temperatures approaching a record-breaking 100 degrees, may not be the best day for a massage in the garden, but I can almost feel myself enjoying one on a beautiful day.

A carefully-curated spa service menu, with a compilation of international finds from spas in Europe and Asia, is available upstairs. Spa treatments at Nectar include Intraceuticals Oxygen Infusion facials (oxygen treatments are extraordinary - the rage in Hollywood); LashDip mascara treatments (which last for up to six weeks - a Nectar exclusive in Washington); Softsense gentle waxing from Italy; expert pedicures and manicures; airbrush tanning (I saw the results last night and was impressed), brow shaping; and makeup artistry services - all performed by highly trained spa technicians, aestheticians. and artists.

Amy, the Director of Protocol for the Ambassador of United Arab Emirates, has seen many iterations of the spa/retail shop in her world travels and quickly compiled her product wish list: top brands typically only available in major markets such as Los Angeles, New York, Paris, London, and Tokyo. Brian, a long-time chief of staff of Texas Representative Kenny Marchant, has been designing and building luxury condominiums as a side project for several years. This experience gave him the vision for the build-out necessary to house Amy’s wish list.

It all came together at Nectar, which offers valet parking, a convenience not often found at boutiques and spas in Georgetown. Amy and Brian are charming. Along with the experienced staff, they make Nectar a welcoming destination and a fabulous new "place to be" in DC!

Nectar, now open, is located at 1633 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. You can call them at (202) 333-4332 or check out their Web site at nectarskinbar.com. Even if you don't live in the DC area, you're bound to visit eventually. Consider Nectar a place to relax, be pampered, and do some great beauty shopping. You may find me there; just don't interrupt that garden massage, please.

Photos courtesy of Nectar and by Best Things in Beauty

4 comments:

lovethescents said...

Sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing your experience here with us.

Oxygen facial? If it relaxes, great, but sounds a bit like snake oil to me. Loads of different types of oxygen products are becoming widely available. Extra O2 in your H2O? Chemically makes no sense. I know, I know, I'm a horrible skeptic, but I'm one of the few who doesn't believe in anti-aging cosmetics. I should probably run and hide :-)

What is LashDip?

Charlestongirl said...

I have had an oxygen facial, and I never looked so good! They instantly plump the skin and make you look line-free and radiant. Really, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't had one. Did you read about Kate Somerville's Dermal Quench treatment here?

LashDip colors the lashes so you can skip mascara.

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl! I want to apologize to you and your readers for my previous comment. I hope I didn't step on any toes here! I do love reading your blog, as well as readers' comments, and I know many/most people believe in and enjoy anti-aging products. It wasn't my place to start raining on any parades. Sorry!

LashDip....interesting! I should do some research on that. Have you or any readers had it done before?

Charlestongirl said...

No rain felt here, Lovethescents. :)

It's a good question about oxygen treatments. I would never have known how wonderful they are until I had one.

I've never done LashDip, but I know others who have. They would never go back.