Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jouer Crème Eyeshadow - Cashmere for Taupe Lovers

I ordered one of Jouer's Crème Eyeshadows ($20) recently. Every time I see a cream shadow I haven't tried, I order at least one. I love cream eye shadows; I like their look, feel, application, and wear.

I saw that Jouer offered four shades: Chiffon, Feather, Cashmere, and Organza. I nearly ordered Chiffon. Then I decided it was too predictable (for me), and I needed to branch out of my comfort zone. I ordered Cashmere, which wasn't a huge leap since it's described as a shimmering taupe. Taupe and I go together like best buddies. You can probably imagine my delight when it arrived, particularly if you've used Jouer Cosmetics.

Lightweight in texture with a velvety finish, Jouer's Crème Eyeshadows offer a subtle shimmer. They can be worn alone as a shadow, layered to illuminate the eye, or smudged along the lash line to create natural definition. The soft, exquisitely blendable formula ensures easy fingertip application if you wish, but I use a cream shadow brush to apply my new treasure.

The Cashmere shade is fascinating. It's definitely taupe, with a gleaming, subtle shimmer, but it's almost two shades in one, depending on whether I apply it lightly or heavily. I took two photos of the compact, one in indirect light and one with the pan held toward the elusive sun. The sun has only made rare appearances here this week, and I scramble for photos when it shines.

I painted on Cashmere with a cream shadow brush for the swatch photo above, which was taken in bright light, but not 100% full sun. I got a nice color rendition, but realized I needed a swatch photo of the "light version." So I quickly wiped off the heavy swatch and dashed outside for a photo of a light application. With a light touch, Cashmere is like an antique gold with a touch of taupe. As you build the coverage, it becomes more and more taupe. This feature delights me! The light application is shown at right.

Here's one more photo of the heavy application at left. Basically, I feel like I got two gorgeous cream shadows for $20, the price of one. Now I'm annoyed with myself for not purchasing all four shades when the discount event was underway. I want the other three.

I know that some women have a difficult relationship with cream eye shadows. They may not be the best option for those with oily skin and especially oily eyelids. For me, with my dry skin, they are a fabulous option. They add a gleam that my eyelids don't have naturally. I think they draw attention to my eyes, which are my best feature. So far, I've experienced great wear with Jouer Crème Eyeshadow. It stays where I put it and doesn't fade or migrate into the crease. I do wear a primer.

You can purchase Jouer's lovely cream shadows and all of their products at the company's Web site and Henri Bendel (also Skin 6|2 in Las Vegas). Jouer's Luminizing Moisture Tint, which some of you recommended last week, recently won an Allure Best of Beauty 2011 Award. Maybe I'll break down and order that and more eye shadow. I'm weak when it comes to lust-worthy makeup.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Joey said...

Muah-ha-ha! You ordered it! I told you that you'd love it =D

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joey,

I had ordered it during that same discount event...just hadn't had time to test it and take photos. :)

lovethescents said...

I've slowly become fascinated by the Jouer line as it's quite obscure. Very little reviews can be found, and here is yours! I think I'm going to have to do a little playful discovery (pardon the pun!!)

Style de Nude said...

I love this color! I have it as well! The moisture tint is fab as well!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I have their eyeshadow in caramel (powder) and I love it. This looks gorgeous and I'll wait for Jouer to have a sale for their members (sign-up for the discounts, it's usually one item offered per week at 20-30% off and it's totally worth it!!)

Eileen said...

I have yet to try anything by Jouer, but that cream eyeshadow has certainly grabbed my attention. What a beautiful color and finish! Looks like I need to have a look at the cream shadows.

Hi Mamaval,

Thanks for the info about the discounts. Every little bit helps. It means money to try even more things :-)

Walls said...

Charlestongirl, you really know how to lighten our wallets! I kid. This looks pretty -- I think I may go for Chiffon when the time comes to get another shadow, but my stash, though modest compared to collectors, leaves me with more than enough products to spare. If only I had more than one face! Best wishes to your Charlie.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

I've been trying to ignore Jouer eye colors but I think you put me over the edge with Cashmere. I do have the illuminating tint and I like it very much.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

The line certainly could be helped by greater retail exposure, but it's good that they can control quality by being small.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, Productdoctor, I'm basically there on getting that tint!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, MamaVal!

I ordered online. I wonder why that didn't put me on that list. Will have to explore that today. Yesterday was out of control. My last act was a lame media event...but there were some fab finds, even if the event fizzled toward the end. It was a nice event for the first hour, fortunately. I got some good blog info!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, You do need it...and I need the rest of them!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Walls! Charlie is doing really well now. Even the vet remarked about how fast he was healing.

Charlestongirl said...

No way to ignore Jouer, Marcia. :)

If you ever visit the counter at Henri Bendel, they will capture your heart. In my profile pic, I'm wearing a blush one of their reps applied. It was perfect!

Rola said...

I am new to Jouer, what are the must haves? The Luminizing Moisture Tint sounds lovely.

Victoria said...

Wow! I've not seen this line before, but i love they eyeshadow!