Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New: Clinique Black Honey Shimmering Tones Powder

New and exclusive to Sephora, Clinique's limited-edition Black Honey Shimmering Tones Powder ($29.50) was a must-have for me. I love everything Black Honey!

Long a cult favorite, Black Honey shimmers in this beautifully blended powder. It instantly creates a sheer, subtle radiance that will look fabulous on everyone, just like the classic that inspired it.

The checkerboard pressed powder is presented in a fun black honey colored compact, rather than the usual Clinique silver. It will be easy to spot in my makeup pile-up.

The powder itself thrilled me. It offers three colors that, when blended (the only way to use them effectively), provides a gleaming, unique rosy brown mauve shade. The shade is so hard to define I had to string together three color terms. All of you makeup lovers know Black Honey, so I'm fairly confident you'll understand.

You can see the three shades in the compact photos above. One is a fleshy pink, the second is a light plummy mauve, and third is a deeper plummy mauve with a lot of brown in it. I suppose you could use the shades individually with an eye shadow brush if you want to, but that wasn't the purpose of the powder.

I took a few swatch photos in full sun to attempt to show you the shade. I applied the powder very heavily with a dense blush brush at the top of my arm and very lightly below. The powder gleams. It shimmers, but not in a sparkly way. If you swipe your fingers across the colors, you'll see that the shimmer must come from micro-fine powders - so fine that there's no single sparkle within the effect. It gleams like sunlight's reflection on water. Lightly applied, it's perfectly daytime-appropriate.

Black Honey Shimmering Tones Powder is enormously flattering. Black Honey has always been "every woman's color." There's something about the rosy brown that mimics our skin tones, blush tones, lip colors - no matter what our coloring. If you've never tried Black Honey, you have a new opportunity. You can find this beauty online at Sephora.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Amy said...

I could have sworn this was released in 206 or so--I bought one then. It's gorgeous (or at least the earlier one was, this appears to be the same)

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

How many years have I worn Black Honey- since 1970 what??? Was it originally in a pot of gloss? I seem to remember it in a pot. The Almost Lipstick has been with me since 1989. Got the dual end combo last spring and now a full collection. Bravo Clinique. Fabulous idea. :)

Charlestongirl said...

It looked familiar to me too, Amy. Trying to find something that old here would be a difficult hunt. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LSBD...I had to abbreviate your name...sorry.

Let's agree: there's no need to remember how long we've been wearing Black Honey! :) Let's just say it's been a winner forever.

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

Hey Charlestongirl- abbreviate away (unless and until we find that it LSBD means something terrible in text speak)
Agreed- no need to remember details- I'll just say I have loved Black Honey forever- :)

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, LSBD, I thought about that, but didn't come up with anything - except glad the "B" is there. :)

Natalie said...

Your blog enables my addiction:) but im not complaining...going to buy this lovely powder very soon!!! Do you think this will accentuate pores? thank you!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Natalie,

I don't think it should camp in your pores. The powder is super-fine. That plus the color should make it work. Check the reviews at Sephora. Sometimes they are nutty, but someone might have commented about that.

Often, I find those reviews written by uninformed young ladies who wouldn't know a formula from a fashion statement.