Monday, September 12, 2011

Dior Smoky Nude 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palette for Fall 2011

Dior's new 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palettes ($48) offer gorgeous eye color choices for fall. In addition to Smoky Khaki, which I featured this morning, I purchased Smoky Nude. There are six of the new color trios. If I had been feeling rich, I could have purchased all six. They are stunning.

Just like Smoky Khaki, Smoky Nude isn't what you might expect from its name. It's not a wallflower. The trio of shades offers a warm, neutral look for the eyes. The only thing nude about the palette is the ivory base shade. Like all of the new trios, Smoky Nude offers a one satin-finish shadow, one shimmering shadow, and a base shade that differs in its finish from palette to palette.

Ordinarily, I prefer cooler brown tones on my face. Interestingly, makeup artists would rather warm me up by blending in shades like these. I have one of those blank canvas faces; I can wear warm or cool tones. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

I applied the shades heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator, and I took these swatch photos in full, morning sun - finally! I've been trying for two weeks to get half-decent swatch photos of these palettes.

The satin-finish cocoa brown shade in this palette is incredibly useful. While the word "useful" sounds like a boring warning, it's not meant to be. When applied with a brush, it can be sheer and subtle for day or smoky and sultry for night. It's all about the application. We can use it on the outer lid, in the crease, or blended.

The shimmering neutral is a warm taupe. It's drop-dead gorgeous and should make @Glowyjoeybunny's heart sing. It makes me extremely happy. It looks fabulous swept over the lower (moveable) lid. The ivory base shade is perfect for my coloring. It lights up my eyes with its subtle shimmer. It will do that for yours too - no matter what your skin tone - although you may use it differently if your skin is significantly darker than mine.

I love the new compacts from Dior. Slide back the top of the case, and a mirror flips up, exposing the three eye shadows (and two tiny brush and sponge applicators). I love the look and feel almost as much as I love the colors. It realize it's a novelty, but it's a fun novelty - classy!

You can purchase Dior's new 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palettes at Sephora, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks - probably anywhere with a Dior counter. If money were no concern, I would purchase Smoky Brown and Smoky Navy, the latter just for the incredible shimmering blue shade that I'd find a way to wear. These new eye palettes should be on your "go see" list.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Joey said...

You know me SO well. My heart indeed did sing; well, it was more of a gasping shout of "JOEY, YOU NEED THIS!"

Charlestongirl said...

I'm laughing, Joey! Is that not a gorgeous taupe? You do need this - even more than you need Smoky Brown.

BTW, fab new photo!

Flyavsted said...

I purchased this today. Love this compact. Perfect for travelling as well, which I will be doing this weekend. This one is definitely coming along with me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Flyavested!

I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. Have a great trip!

Sharon Freeman said...

I love that I get to 'window shop' and read all the wonderful reviews a season ahead of time. It does make me feel always behind however ;)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sharryn!

Do the cosmetics companies introduce what's "fall" for us later for you?

Joey said...

Oh boy, I am in trouble the next time I walk into Saks! I might not be able to control myself at the Dior counter =)

Thank you for the compliments on my picture! It makes me miss my longer hair =) xoxo

Charlestongirl said...

Joey, it looks so great, you shouldn't miss long hair! Love it!