Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Le Métier de Beauté Makeover by Erin Lockard

Beauty Week at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria kicked off a day early at the Le Métier de Beauté counter! I had called the store in the morning, and I learned that Erin Lockard, Le Métier de Beauté representative and makeup artist extraordinaire, was there. I had booked an appointment for September 8 (today), the first day of Beauty Week, but the idea of seeing Erin when the store would be a little less hectic was appealing. I was able to move up my appointment by a day, but I had little time to get over there. It was raining and nasty outside; I had on ultra-casual clothing and no makeup; and it was already a bad hair day (for me). Rainy weather makes my hair fall flat, no matter how much product I use. Nevertheless, I hopped in my car and zoomed over, hoping that Erin wouldn't think I was a total disaster. She may have, but she was extremely sweet and welcoming.

The photo above shows the gorgeous Le Métier de Beauté team: Lisa Corsino is at left. She's the Le Métier de Beauté representative at Neiman Marcus Tysons. Erin Lockard is in the center. Lisa Lingis, formerly with Le Métier de Beauté at Mazza Gallerie, but now our mid-Atlantic Le Métier de Beauté representative, is shown at the right. Have you ever seen a more gorgeous team - even with all those store shadows on their beautiful faces? They make me want to grow my hair long again. I'll never look as young again, so I'm faced with working with what I have.

Erin was ready to help me with that when I arrived, still sporting raindrops on my clothing. Since I had on no makeup, she asked me what kind of look I liked. I answered, "Natural." We started with the new skin care, discussing it and its benefits. Erin prepped my skin with a tonic and then applied the Revive Eye Concentrate and Revitalizing Anti-Aging Day Crème, applying them with a light, massaging motion. She had just started, and I was putty.

Erin has a keen eye for color, and she mixes and blends shades with the mastery of a fine artist. First, she used Champagne Dualistic Eye Pencil on my lower waterline to take out the red that's always there. For my eyeshadow, Erin used multiple shades of True Color Eye Shadow on my eyes, including JoJo, Peachy Keen (interestingly in the crease), Nutmeg, and Refresh Eye Brightening and Setting Powder (something everyone should own). She even threw a little bit of Sun Kissed Bronzer into the mix. It was gorgeous!

Erin lined my eyes with Noir Precision Liquid Eyeliner. Eyeliner is always a makeup artist test for me. If they draw a thin, precise line - the type that looks best on me - I know they have a great eye and remarkable skills. Erin passed the test and then some. Apparently, my eyes were green yesterday - they do change from blue to green, depending on the surroundings - so she used Anamorphic Lash Mascara in Aubergine to bring out the green.

The products and shades Erin selected for my face were Classic Flawless Finish Foundation in #4, Visage de Soie Finishing Powder in #1, Classic Flawless Finish Concealer (sorry, I missed the shade, but it was probably #1), and Crème Fresh Tint in Poppy. Erin applied the foundation to her palm and then used the Kabuki brush to apply it. That allowed her to give me an airbrushed look with the foundation, one I really liked. My skin always looks a tiny bit darker in department stores than it is in natural light, and I'm not yet convinced that #4 is my shade. It looked absolutely fabulous, but I need to see the difference with the lighter shades before I use it. Since I purchased it, I don't want to "damage" it, trying it out here, and then return it. I would like to be totally confident it will work for me through the winter months. It sure looked great in the store and in my rear-view mirror when I left!

She decided that since I had a natural look for my eyes, my lips should pop with color. After experimenting on her hand, creating new shades as she blended colors, she selected Red My Lips from Ken's Bordeaux Collection, topped with Vanilla Rose Lip Crème. It was stunning!
Here we are, right after Erin finished. I had tucked my disastrous hair behind my ear; there was no style salvageable at that point in the day. Sorry - no close-ups - so you won't see her masterful work very well. You'll have to trust that the compliments I got yesterday were proof of her amazing work.

Erin is such a remarkable pro (and she's got a joyful personality). Her own makeup was flawless. I could tell she's a perfectionist, which I really appreciate (since I'm a Virgo). OK, she's "model gorgeous" too. She has a great eye for color. I loved the way she created new shades, using the large palette of Le Métier de Beauté shades available to her, but working to select just the right balance of warm and cool shades for me. She also uses simple, but sophisticated techniques that set her apart from the majority of artists you may have encountered during makeover sessions at department stores. Erin is someone you'll want to know.

If you are local to the DC area, Erin will still be working at Neiman Marcus at Tysons Galleria today, September 8. Call Kathy Shoreman or the counter to see if you can still get an appointment with her. Even if you can't, stop by to meet her and watch. Normally, she's based in Southern California, so we East Coasters don't get to see her as often as others. If you ever have a chance to sit in her chair, definitely sign up! I promise, it will be an unforgettable experience. She's the perfect ambassador for our luxury favorite Le Métier de Beauté.

Update: Erin will be at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie this Friday and Saturday. You can contact Michael for an appointment at 202-966-9700.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

37 comments:

Joey said...

You look lovely, and your hair isn't a disaster! xo

Charlestongirl said...

That's very sweet, Joey, but it was a disaster. No volume, no bob to the bob, and little frizzy hairs everywhere!

At least I had a blast! Erin is so much fun...and amazing.

This morning, It's pouring again, ensuring I'll be a two-day disaster.

Eileen said...

What a wonderful treat and, after all the stress the earthquake and hurricane brought, a bit of pampering was certainly well deserved. You look absolutely lovely and the color palette that was used was guaranteed to bring sunshine into a rainy day. I imagine that bit of Peachy Keen was what really did the trick. The crease, or just slightly above the crease in my case, is an excellent placement for it. It's rich, warm color really accentuates green eyes so your peepers must, indeed, have been green that day :-) What a great start to the beauty packed days ahead!

Thank you for such a detailed description of the products used. It's always fun to learn how the pros combine colors.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Eileen! I even left out a few details because the feature was so long! That Peachy Keen was a superb touch!

I thought my eyes were blue yesterday, but Erin, Lisa, and Kathy all said they were bright green. Go figure!

I absolutely love working with the best of the best, and Erin fits into that category. Besides that, she is charming. We chatted about everything from our spines to the industry. It was a nice break in the rain (all from that tropical storm that has stalled on the East Coast).

After Erin moved on to the next customer, Lisa and I played with Fire Lily, which has always caught my eye. I bought it, but to use as a blush, which Lisa suggested. Wow! You must try it as a blush! It will make your green eyes even greener. :)

Anonymous said...

Erin will also be in Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie this Friday and Saturday. You can contact Michael for an appointment at 202-966-9700.
Hope to see you!
Lisa

Eileen said...

Ah, Fire Lily! I bought that for Halloween two years ago and have been pleasantly surprised at how much "normal" use I've gotten out of it :-) I use it as an accent color just above the crease or blend it into golds, bronzes, or rich browns. I've never though to use it as a blush, though. I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion, girlfriend!

lovethescents said...

So much fun to read!!! You are such a vision, dear Charlestongirl! So what if your hair wasn't bouncy, it still looks clean and taken care of, which is what's important, I think.

Adore what Erin did. Your lipstick is faaaaaaaaabulous, even for a day look.

Thanks for a wonderful story. I wish I could have been there too!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lisa! I updated the front page. Everyone in the area should get to see Erin. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

Thank you! Yes, it was clean. LOL

That's all it was.

I went back over today to take crowd photos. Hope to post some after I review them.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Gorgeous team is RIGHT! And what are you talking about? Your hair looks great! And the makeover is superb! It looks very "you," which is what a makeover is supposed to be. Love it!

Soni said...

Well you could have fooled me! Your bob has plenty of bob!! I have a bob too & the slightest humidity makes it go VERY straight. (so even the ends aren't curled under) I noticed your ends are still "bent in". *iz jealous*

I'm dying to have an appt with Erin now. I LOVE a perfectionist when it comes to makeup application. Nothing is more irritating than having someone "slap" it on you then handing you a mirror and expecting praise? no. Even without close-ups you can tell she did an immaculate job. *applauds*
I must stalk her when she gets back here to So Cal.

Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you. =)

PS. How's Charlie doing? Haven't heard much about him lately. Just wondering...

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, MamaVal!

Really, I was a flat head. Today, I used volumizing mousse because we are having flooding rain, again, and someone at NM told me my hair looked so much better. Yep!

Erin is a master at making women look like themselves, but better. I watched her today. She's fabulous!

Charlestongirl said...

I'm giggling, Soni. Yes, slightly bent in, but no volume! Use a lot of hair spray for that.

You are so lucky. Erin is normally in Orange County! Go see her at NM.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh and, MamaVal, Charlie is fine, thanks. Savannah had another seizure this week, but she is better now. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You look like one of the team! Fabulous!
I'm am sooooooo jealous! :-)
Looking for the perfect foundation.... I hope this brand is not a candidate as I can't buy it over here and would never know.
Rachel
(still sunny in Italy, by the way...)

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

erin- nm in oc? yay! good to know- will have to check her avail and make a trip to newport.

Unknown said...

You look lovely, Charlestongirl! I concur that Erin is very talented MA. She gave me a makeover with the shadows in the Silk Road Kaleidoscope. It's hard to describe the satiny, sophisticated finish these shadows have. This Kaleidoscope came home with me! It was good to see Lisa Lingis too.

I hope your neighborhood isn't flooding. What is usually a 20 minute drive to Tyson's Galleria Mall took an hour and a half, and 2 hours to get home. Part of the fast lane of I-495 was flooded and impassable, and the section between the I-395 exit and Huntington was completely closed. The poor residents of one Huntington neighborhood have been evacuated. Rain, go away!

Me said...

You look gorgeous, Charlestongirl. The colors chosen could not have been more perfect for your skin tone. Natural yet vibrant.

scottigirl_01 said...

Southern California! That's where I am! Where does she work here? You are so beautiful, thanks for all the hard work you do so we can be too! I wish you could have taken close ups.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rachel,

Thanks! You can always mail order, she says with a grin.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LoveSugarBabyDoll,

There is a Neiman Marcus at Fashion Island? That's her home base, I think.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ava!

I'm glad you had fun - before the drive home. It was so bad last night. When I saw the news that the Beltway had closed, I knew there would be mayhem. And, it's still raining!

If I recall correctly, you resisted Silk Road. Glad to hear you caved. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Zuzu! She's a master of color. Love her!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Scottigirl!

She's at a Neiman Marcus at Fashion Island mall in Orange County most of the time. Call and make an appointment. You will LOVE Erin!

panties said...

i think you look lovely, hair and all :) <3

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, panties!

Rola said...

Erin did a great job and you look beautiful! I tried the LMDB day cream sample today and I love it so far.

Unknown said...

Your hair doesn't look disastrous at all, you look as sophisticated as ever! I love the makeup that Erin chose for you. The lip combination is perfect.

I had the pleasure of a makeover from Erin during her trip to London last year. I am usually a complete nervous wreck during these things but the LMdB team were so welcoming and Erin was just a doll. I feel very lucky to have had that experience. I think it's one of the reason I remain a big fan of the brand.
Jane x

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, blogger buddie! I know what it should look like. I hate being a flat-head.

Erin is a rare gem. Hope LMdB can re-enter the London world for y'all. I know the artists would love to return. We talked about that yesterday. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Rola! That Revitalizing Anti-Aging Day Crème will be one of my next skin care purchases. I couldn't afford to buy them all - sigh!

Cris said...

I enjoyed your lovely blog post about the beauty event. I'm proud of my beautiful sister, Lisa Corsino!

Anonymous said...

Please don't tempt me!!! :D

Rachel

Charlestongirl said...

Really, Chris? She's gorgeous! Now we need to meet you!

Charlestongirl said...

LOL - that's my "job," Rachel - to tempt you.

lizzybee said...

What a lovely experience for you (and via your sharing, for us here)- you look ravishing. The girls are indeed beauties- ah, youth! Thank you for this video, the LeMdeB line is so elegant and chic. I just love it, and although I haven't yet personally tried it, I am eager to at this point. Your hair is most certainly not a mess at all, by the way!! Beth in Pgh xo ;-)

Lisa said...

Sure wish you would do close-ups of he makeover to capture the beauty of the colors used. I am always interested in techniques and color choices.

katie said...

Just received, along with a number of other LMdB items, the refresh powder that you called a must-have. Thought I should ask: how do you use this? To set your under eye concealer? Under (or over?) eyeshadow? I just had to have it, even though I wasn't quite clear what its purpose was!!!! ;-)