Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss: Breeze and Rose Glisten

I don't write about Jouer often because we don't have a Jouer counter in the DC area. It's sad. I discovered the brand online and was delighted to visit the counter at Henri Bendel the last time I visited New York. I hope to go back soon.

In the meantime, I've been shopping online. Last week, I took advantage of a site-wide discount and ordered some nice new makeup. I had never tried the Moisturizing Lip Gloss ($20), so two went into my shopping cart.

These lip glosses are irresistibly sheer shades loaded with vitamins A, C, and E, shea butter, jojoba oil, and pomegranate seed oil to moisturize, soothe, nourish, rejuvenate, and protect your lips. There's no question Jouer's glosses will keep your lips smooth and hydrated. It took me one day to figure that out.

Available in Jouer's signature vial that connects to any Jouer custom palette, the glosses are perfectly useable on their own. I purchased Breeze and the limited edition Rose Glisten (shown in Jouer's photo at left and mine above right).

Breeze is described as a sheer berry with gold shimmer. It's shown in the tube in my photo above on the left side. Rose Glisten (shown at right above) is described as a sheer sparkling rose. I purposely selected two shades that showed me some color online. Neither is particularly pigmented - my only disappointment. These glosses feel fabulous on my lips and stay put a reasonable amount of time for a lip gloss - without feeling at all heavy or sticky.

Here are two swatch photos, both taken in full sun. Breeze is shown at the top of my arm, and Rose Glisten is shown below. Remember to simply click on the photos if you want to see an enlarged view. Breeze is definitely the darker of the two shades, so it's my favorite. Rose Glisten is very, very light. It reminds me of Bobbi Brown's new Pink Tulle High Shimmer Lip Gloss. It's a pretty topper and will add a baby pink shine to your lipstick. It can be used as a lip conditioner if you want a little natural color.

There are 23 shades of Moisturizing Lip Gloss. I do want more of them, so next time I will order the darkest shades available. You can find the colors at the Jouer Web site. Mirage looks like it's calling my name.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty or Jouer

12 comments:

Style de Nude said...

I like the formula of jouer, but I hate the packaging! I bought one of these and my wand broke. I felt like it was so flimsy and hard to control. I don't know, maybe mine was defective.

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, ProductDoctor, I would have returned it. Mine seems substantial. You're right, sometimes there are product defects, and I know Jouer would want to make it right for you. They are a great company.

DRTVrMoi said...

It's nice to see a Jouer review. I haven't tried the glosses because they lack the pigment level I desire. They do have several stellar items. Their tinted moisturizer is my current fave. I have combo skin and it worked perfectly. Combine it with their powder with SPF and you are set for those long, Summer days. Productdoctor brings up an interesting point. Their packaging is challenged. All of the compacts (powder, blushes and shadows) are tricky to open. At best, I only chip a nail. They are often saved for non-manicured days.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi DRTVrMoi, more coming. I bought a bunch of new things. Love them!

I wondered if I was the only one who found the highlighter and eye shadow compacts a bit dicey to open. Thanks for the info. I don't feel so klutzy!

Alice said...

They are opening a Henri Bendel in The Fashion Center at Pentagon City (or more commonly, Pentagon City Mall)...I'm not completely sure if they are going to have a Jouer counter (here's hoping..) but I am still very excited!

Charlestongirl said...

Alice, I'm nearly hyperventilating at the thought! Superb news!

Glamour Girl said...

I really like Jouer products, especially with their fun packaging. There aren't many reviews about it but I wrote some on my blog. :)

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I love Jouer's products, especially the blush and eyeshadows,tinted moisturizer (the way it luminizes subtly is fantastic on older skin), next to my obsession with Bobbi Brown, it may run a close 2nd. But I, too, find that there isn't enough pigment in the glosses. I love the texture and the container, but wish there was more color payoff. I've had fantastic experiences with the company, too.

Charlestongirl said...

I need to try that tinted moisturizer, MamaVal. Everyone loves it! I have so many others, though, I'll never use them all.

Charlestongirl said...

Glad to hear it, Glam Gal!

Sophia1105 said...

I really like the Jouer site for "trying" on colors, it's just fun to play (any hence the name). I ordered two cream blushes a while back and liked how sheer they felt. I wish they were more accessible. I absolutely agree that the customer service is fantastic, very genuine.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sophia! I think that feature of their site is really fabulous. Fun!