Sunday, January 17, 2010

Clé de Peau Refining Fluid Foundation

Yesterday, a friend and I went shopping. We went to Nordstrom at Tysons Corner, Virginia for a little beauty and shoe shopping. My friend saw the many stations set up for a Bobbi Brown event and remarked that she had never had a store makeup application. Yikes - we had to do something about that!

I took her to Chris Coles. I knew Chris would do a fabulous job, but I had no idea how fabulous until he had finished! Chris recently started representing Clé de Peau, and I was curious to see that prestige line in action. I'll summarize by saying that she looked gorgeous when he was finished.

He used Clé de Peau's Refining Fluid Foundation on her, and I was stunned by how pretty it made her skin. The SPF 24 foundation made her look airbrushed (no need for Photoshop!). Her fine lines were minimized, and despite its light weight, the foundation erased almost all of the hereditary redness in the center of her face. Suddenly, her skin was radiant, with a soft-focus finish.

You can probably guess that I had to try it too. I asked Chris to select a shade for me, and his choice was spot-on. After an application, my skin was airbrushed too, with the same soft-focus finish. This is amazing foundation.

Here's how the package insert describes Refining Fluid Foundation (edited).
  • Achieves vibrant translucent skin by minimizing the look of sagging and dullness through a blend of skin-care ingredients, including the hydrating Hydro-sensing Polymer, and makeup ingredients, including Treatment Lucent Powder EX, which provides a satin sheen
  • Instantly, easily melts into skin upon application, with a hydrating texture like a beauty serum
  • Retains a beautiful, luminous finish, filled with dewy luster
  • Protects skin from dryness caused by external factors, while naturally reducing the appearance of spots and wrinkles
With its SPF 24, the foundation is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective sunscreen against UV rays (titanium dioxide and octinoxate provide the protection).

This is a product that meets its promises! Chris mentioned that the foundation has a firming action - the reason it minimizes the appearance of fine lines and imperfections. I could feel that while wearing it, although it wasn't uncomfortable at all like some firming products are.

Refining Fluid Foundation is pricey at $118 for a one fluid ounce. It comes with a nice pump top, so you won't waste any once you determine how many pumps your skin needs. The container is dark and opaque too - best to protect the product.

If you need a treatment foundation, are of "a certain age," or want to improve the appearance of your skin, stop by a Clé de Peau counter for a consultation. If you are anywhere near Tysons Corner, I hope you will visit with Chris!

Photo courtesy of Clé de Peau Beauty

8 comments:

Fab Over 40 said...

This sounds like a great foundation! My only problem with Cle de Peau foundations is that they tend to be a little too pink for my skin. Do these new ones have some that are more yellow based?

Charlestongirl said...

There is an I10 shade that is yellow-based. Now that I know that, I have to ask Chris why he didn't use that on me. The B10 he used did blend seamlessly into my skin (but looks a little pink in the color chart on the Cle de Peau site). I am very pleased, but will look at the I20 for comparison next time I pop in to Nordstrom. That will definitely be next Saturday. I was invited to a free yoga session from 9:00 to 10:00.

One thing I forgot to say was that Chris recommends applying this foundation with your fingers.

Charlestongirl said...

Fab, a little follow up from Chris.

The "B" in my B10 stands for "beige." He said the shades that are coded "I" and "O" are very yellow and are great for Asian skin.

If you remember what shade you tried, I can get his recommendation for you using your blog photo. I'm sure I can get a sample too. :)

Ladymorri said...

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your review of this - it lead me to finding out more about it and eventually purchasing B10. In my 36 years, I have never worn a product that is so beautiful, that makes me FEEL so beautiful!! I have gotten more compliments in the past few months than I've gotten in my entire life! And what's amazing is how many times family members have mistakenly asked or commented about me "not wearing any make-up" when I was wearing this foundation. THAT is saying something!!! For it to look so flawless, radiant, and then so natural is (for me) worth every single penny. I've just bought my 2nd bottle to have on hand for when I run out of my first bottle because I don't ever want to be without it. I happened to come across this entry and realized you were the first that introduced me to the product and wanted to just say thank you so very, very much!

Anonymous said...

I noticed that there is a BF20 do you know what color this would be? I have used 020 and B20 but wander what the BF stands for and why only one color is offered with this code.

Anonymous said...

BF stands for buff which has yellow & golden undertones as stated by the Barney's rep.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey thanks, Anon, and I apologize for not responding to your first question. I called the store to ask, couldn't find anyone, and then promply forgot!

Don't you wish they would make these acronyms more intuitive? :)

I just got a sample of the new foundation. Can't wait to try! The gals at NM are raving over it.

Nicolle said...

I wanted to really like this foundation but the only problem I had was by 4pm it was pretty much gone :( My skin is somewhat oily so maybe that is the reason? I also was not wearing primer back then. This was sometime late last yr. But after reading your description, I want to give it one more chance! :)