Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Would You Use a Flowbee to Cut Your Hair?

Now for a little fun!

The Flowbee is a hair cut system that hooks up to your vacuum cleaner! No kidding - although I am in hysterics as I write this - you can't make this stuff up (although Rick Hunts did).

The Flowbee, star of infomercials, was reviewed by local NBC4 consumer reporter Liz Crenshaw. Her "Does It Really Do That?" feature often asks the question of products promoted on television. She gives them to local citizens to test, shows the products in action, and discusses the results. Then she asks the testers if they would purchase the item - a price-benefit analysis. I was ready for a little comic relief, however the Flowbee passed the test. I was stunned!

The Flowbee cuts hair lengths from 1/2" to 6" long at any 1/4" increment. Additional spacers may be purchased if you desire longer lengths of hair. The Flowbee Web site says you should not try to cut more than 1/2" in length at a time. That would imply that you need to have rather short hair to use it, but the woman who tested it on television had mid-length hair.

You can order it with its own mini-vacuum for $99.90. The Flowbee system without the mini-vacuum is $69.95. Its many fans say they have saved hundreds of dollars by using the Flowbee to cut their own hair. You can order from the Flowbee Factory Direct Web site.

I can see how this product might appeal to men or a women who wants to cut her child's hair (assuming the child isn't scared by the roaring vacuum cleaner). I can't imagine trying it. I have mental images of a ragged bob and a scolding stylist with the giggles. No Flowbee for this Virgo! Would you try the Flowbee?

Photo courtesy of Flowbee

11 comments:

Unknown said...

the picture looks really scary!

i am very low maintenance when it comes to hair but i still would rather visit Supercuts and get uneven hair ends than end up with bald patch on my head!

Anonymous said...

you gotta be kidding! not a virgo, but there's still now way.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Anonymous...

I did say we would have some fun! LOL.

Joyce said...

Maybe for the dog?

Russ said...

I hear a lot of this kind of apprehension all the time to our product called the AirCut (www.aircut.com) which is a product that is the size of a hair dryer and is completely portable. I've won many people over with our product because you can only take off 1/2" at a time, and the guards stay firmly in place. I've even used it on myself for months! We have many successes and have videos on YouTube (search for "Aircut haircutter") to prove it. Put us to the test, we can take it! Thanks!:)

Anonymous said...

Aircuts don't have enough power(suction)and is more expensive than a flowbee while not coming close to the haircuts a flowbee gives.

Anonymous said...

I've used the Flowbee for a couple years. Except for the noise, it is pleasant, quick, and easy. And Anna, the spacers prevent me from giving myself a bald patch. :)

Anonymous said...

We have used a Flowbee for about 5 years now both on my husband does a great haircut and on myself as it does great layer cuts. Nobody at my husband's work believes us. Flowbee has seriously saved us a lot of money on hair cuts.

Anonymous said...

I have used the Flowbee for 6 years now. What a great invention! I used to get a different cut every time I went to the barber shop. Now my cuts are always the same and I get complements on my hair cut. Thank you Rick Hunts!

Anonymous said...

My husband has been using one since around 1994. He cuts his hair and then I just have to trim his neck to finish it off. He has used it on our boys hair also. I don't use it. It definitely has saved money on hair cuts. He wouldn't be without it!

Anonymous said...

I have used this product for over 25 years. I like that I can cut my hair any time of the day or night. People never know that it is a Flowbee haircut. I did make the mistake of telling one person, and at that point she had to make fun of me. I don`t really care as I am using the original machine I bought 25 years ago, and will contemplate the purchase of a new Flowbee in the next year. When you consider how much I have saved over the years, by giving haircuts to myself , and my son the Flowbee has paid for itself many times over.