Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Juliette Has a Gun - Lady Vengeance

While I was in New York this past weekend, I had to go to Henri Bendel. I hadn't been there for many years, but I made up for my extended absence in an hour's visit. My primary destination was the fragrance department. I told the guys my favorite floral notes, and they pulled one incredible fragrance after another for my consideration. I left with five!

I have so much to tell you! Today, I will start with Juliette Has a Gun in Lady Vengeance ($110). The name is off-putting, right? The fragrance makes up for it! Imagine...Juliette waits for Romeo on a balcony, half-hidden by thorny climbing roses. There is no gun. The name is intended to evoke danger and a bit of recklessness.

I can't begin to tell you about the fragrance without mentioning the packaging. The ribbon-tied cylindrical box is heavy, well-designed - classy - and the black spray bottle with white and red script is unique. I won't have any trouble finding it in my perfume collection!

The fragrance itself? When I walked into the department, I mentioned my love of roses. Lady Vengeance was the first fragrance I was given to try. It was instant rapture! It's a rich and sensual floral, and its primary and dominant note is Bulgarian Rose. The guys swore to me it had no patchouli in it, but I learned later that it does. Fortunately, I don't smell it. It's soft and subtle, not obnoxious, cheap, elevator-clearing patchouli. I barely smell the vanilla that's in it; it's not a sweet fragrance. I think the vanilla just adds its note to the smoothness. Lady Vengeance is all about old roses, and it's very smooth and dry, like a good cognac. This isn't your grandmother's rose. It's modern, sultry, and sophisticated. I've read that others have called it "edgy." I'm not sure it's edgy. I think it's too mellow for that term.

The rose-based Juliette Has a Gun fragrance collection was founded by Romano Ricci, great-grandson of Nina Ricci (good provenance). The romantic rose assumes a different character in each fragrance in the line, which summons Shakespeare to modern times. I also purchased the softer Miss Charming (far nicer name), and I'll tell you about it later this week.

You can purchase the Juliette Has a Gun fragrances at Henri Bendel, Beautyhabit, and LuckyScent. If you search online, you will also find other sources. You can purchase the spray, like I did, or a "purse bullet." How fitting for Lady Vengeance!

If you are interested in finding a fragrance with your favorite notes, give Giuseppe Intili at Henri Bendel a call at (212) 904-7990. He will take good care of you! Tell him your likes and dislikes. You may have a new favorite winging your way in no time.

Photo courtesy of Juliette Has a Gun

2 comments:

jamika said...

that is a weird name for a pretty perfume! lol

Charlestongirl said...

Agreed, Jamika! The name does nothing for me, and I would have passed by the fragrance if it hadn't been for the sales team.