Thursday, February 4, 2010

New MARC JACOBS Splash Scents

Inspired by the "decadent indulgences of a patisserie," MARC JACOBS has introduced three new MARC JACOBS Splash Scents ($68)! These new limited-edition splashes (that spray) "awaken the senses and entice the palate." Fresh and inviting, crisp, and delectable, the three fragrances are designed to be the perfect warm-weather treat.

The splash fragrances are all appropriately colored: Apple (green), Pomegranate (pink), and Biscotti (gold). I tested them all and selected Apple.
Pomegranate was a close second and is the favorite of my friend Chris Coles at Nordstrom.

Maybe my nose is deficient, but Apple doesn't smell like apples to me. It is very green, light, and fruity - truly lovely. I just don't smell apples - even Granny Smiths. Pomegranate is also fabulous. It's sweet, but has a note that makes it a bit masculine. I think it's the amber. Biscotti just isn't my "cup of tea." As a rule, I don't want to smell like a cookie or cupcake. That's one of the reasons vanilla-based or other foodie fragrances don't usually appeal to me.

I found these fragrance notes at The Moodie Report. The Apple Splash is described as fruity, fresh, aromatic, and energizing. Composed by Givaudan’s Yann Vasnier, it features notes of apple juice, lemon, grapefruit, rosemary, jasmine, magnolia, coriander, and cardamom.

Pomegranate is said to create a fresh sensation, while capturing the radiance of an exotic fruit. It was created by Patty Hidalgo of Fragrance Resources. It features notes of pomegranate, mandarin flowers, bergamot, rhubarb, violet, musk, vanilla, and amber.

Biscotti is said to deliver a savory aroma with a touch of citrus. It was developed by Richard Herpin of Firmenich. The notes are freesia, bergamot, orange flower, pistachio blossom, and vanilla.

Splashes are intended to be light. This one defies the odds and lasts about five hours on the skin. I think that's impressive for a splash. While I usually spray them on myself, I have a friend who sprays them on his pillow cases and sheets. Since they often come in generous bottles, that's not as extravagant as it sounds.

You can find these at Nordstrom. If you want a reminder that spring is coming, as we hear forecasts of two feet of snow for this coming weekend, check them out!

Photo courtesy of Nordstrom

2 comments:

Angela K. said...

Wow - I'm struck by how similar their package design is to the logo of The White Company (a London outfit that sells housewares as well as exclusive scents & bath/body products). I've used some of The White Company's products (which are really nice).

Logo is at the top: http://www.thewhitecompany.com/Default.aspx

They seem not to have all their products online - but some of their bath/body products definitely bear the logo.

Do you know if there's any relationship between the Marc Jacobs scent line & The White Company? Just curious.... I suppose it could just be a coincidence.

Charlestongirl said...

That similarity has been noted before on MARC JACOBS products - you have a good eye, Angela!

I don't know if there is a relationship. The new splashes were actually made by Coty. I did a quick Google search and didn't find a relationship. If I find something later, I will comment again.