Friday, October 22, 2010

The Friday Forum - October 22

It's hard to believe it's time for The Friday Forum! This week has flown by for Charlie and me.

I started my week when Charlie exploited a break in the screen on the porch (see screen behind him in photo). The break was created when a hawk flew into the screen, breaking it away from its frame near the top of the panel. Charlie had been using the porch for about a month since, without discovering (or exploiting) the vulnerability. He's very clever, so it was only a matter of time.

On Monday night, he found it, tore the screen away from the frame closer to his level, and took off to explore the property and eat grass (probably the real reason he always wants to go out so badly). I was upstairs working on the blog when it occurred to me that he hadn't checked in for an unusual amount of time. I went down to look for him, and my indoor buddy was gone - it was clear from the torn screen.

When he breaks out, he usually hangs around nearby and answers me when I call him. Bengal Boy is chatty, and he always likes to say, "Yep, Mom, I'm right here." This time, there was no answer, and I freaked. I ran (to the extent I can run these days) around the neighborhood calling him for about 30 minutes. No answer. Then I enlisted a neighbor's help, and about five minutes later, Meow Man answered me. He was afraid and was huddled up against the porch trying to figure out how to get back in. That would have been a super-cat feat, propelling himself about six to eight feet into the air and onto the porch through the break in the screen. So, after eluding my grip for a few minutes, he ran to the front door and said, "Let me in!"

That escapade almost killed me - from anxiety bordering on panic and from the knee pain that I have endured ever since. I can't run around as adeptly as he can, now that I need to have both knees replaced. Running, tennis, racquetball, cheerleading, gymnastics, and "who knows what else" took their toll on my knees.

So, how was your week?

We use The Friday Forum to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? Just use the comments. Don't be shy.

We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. Last week, we had a great exchange. I'm always happy if even one reader stops by. Leave a comment, and say hello - even if you don't want to comment on beauty products. As I always do, I'll leave news of some great beauty offers (great, not just good) in the comments of this post. If you want to know where to find nice gifts with purchase, free shipping, and other deals this weekend, make sure to check the comments.

I made my first trip to Saks for Friends & Family, and I'm going back. I've got some pretty things to show you.

Thanks for reading Best Things in Beauty! Got anything you want to talk about?

14 comments:

Goya said...

Your cat is AMAZING!!!

Charlestongirl said...

LOL - and he knows it, Goya!

Eileen said...

I really had to laugh at Charlie's exploits--and yours, too! That Charlie is quite a character. And that picture of innocence you posted is so adorable. Now, imagine what it's like to go after three huskies that have escaped up into the hills! "Woo-hoo! We're free! Free! Free at last!" I guess it's not enough that their back yard is two acres. Those hills are just too alluring. I never worry about them getting lost. Jack, the alpha, knows the hills up, down, and all around, and he takes his duty to protect the other two ding-dongs very seriously. I do worry about them getting injured, though, so off I go in hot pursuit. Once I find them, they're always very happy to follow me home, tails wagging all the way.

I took advantage of Sephora's friends and family 20% off and stocked up on Living Proof's (no) Frizz shampoo and conditioner. I heard about it from Amy over at Café Makeup and gave it a try. It really works very well on my long hair. I always seem to have a million shorter hairs in various lengths and, when the weather turns damp, they instantly pop up and frizz. This new shampoo system does a
wonderful job of taming them while leaving my hair soft, shiny, and manageable without weighing it down. Just in case someone doesn't know the code, it's FF2010.

Tomorrow night is our Halloween open house, so I'd better get moving. The house is all decorated, but I still have some cooking to do.

A wonderful weekend to you and all your readers.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Happy weekend to you too!

I laughed as I read about your huskies. Those dogs do love to run. I found a young huskie in my backyard once and chased him through the neighborhood until I got another huskie owner to catch and leash him. The man took him home (tags are a great thing for finding out where dogs on the run live!). Glad Jack takes care of the ding-dongs. :)

Charlie also has a "free at last" mentality. It's not that he wants to be free - he just wants options. Unfortunately, another time (a couple of years ago) when he escaped, he must have fallen in the neighbor's pool. I think he probably got spooked by something (maybe a fox?), climbed over a six-foot fence in a hurry, and fell into the pool. Somehow, he clawed his way out. I have no real idea how it happened, and he's not talking about it. That was also heart-stopping - discovering his absence and then finding him cold, soaked to the bone, scared, and with shredded claws outside the porch. I really hate the great escapes, but his desire to go out is hardwired. I have to keep a close eye on the scamp.

Living Proof is a wonder-product. I also have many short and broken hairs, and I love anything that makes them behave. I look so much more civilized when they do.

Isn't Halloween next weekend?

Eileen said...

Poor Charlie. Nothing looks more pathetic than a soaking wet kitty. I sure do hope he still has a few of those nine lives left! Bobby (my youngest husky) loves to go swimming in our neighbors' pool. She actually swims laps! Of course, our neighbors' dogs think she's nuts as she paddles round and round. It's funny to see them stretched out by the pool watching her :-)

Yes, Halloween is next weekend, but our party is this weekend because many of our guests will be taking their children trick or treating.

Soni said...

You two are making me chuckle with your pet escapades. Reminds me of the time my sister came home with a tarantula in a glass terarium (with NO LID!) and it climbed out overnight. I woke up the next morning and saw the empty terarium and literally freaked out. (but not because I was worried about the "spider")
I much prefer dogs or cats. They are easier to talk to (and find, when they escape)

Here's to our pets ladies! *clinks drinking glasses with you*

Eileen your halloween party sounds like fun!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soni,

I don't mind spiders - they eat bugs. I sure don't see the appeal of a spider as a pet, though.

A clink of the glass to you too! Happy weekend!

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

If my puppy gets loose my heart is in my mouth until I can get him. I want the big lug close by so I can watch him even if he does eat shoes on occasion.

I haven't taken advantage of any of the FF discounts yet but I will. I'd be happiest if I could get Le Metier on the discount but alas I can't.

Charlestongirl said...

Wouldn't that be nice! A LMdB discount!

Our pets are our kids, right Marcia? On my way home from work, I saw two lost pet signs that had gone up today. I feel so badly - for the dogs, cats, and the owners. I hope they are found quickly.

Pam said...

I am the proud Mom of a 130 lb. great dane named Solomon and when he decides to ramble, my heart goes to my shoes.
On another note, I would like to sing the praises of the ladies at Birchbox.com. I can't remember which one of you lovely beauty bloggers recommended them but Thank you so much!!! I have received two of their sampler boxes and they were terrific...the products everything they said. I can't wait for the next one.

Charlestongirl said...

Awww, Pam, I think you get the tallest pet award! What a cute name too. At 130 pounds, can anyone lift him?

I think I need to have a "submit your pet's photo day." Wouldn't it be fun to see them all in one post?

Glad you are enjoying Birchbox! They have such good brands.

Charlestongirl said...

Free shipping weekend at RAMY.com. Use code FREESHIP.

Lisa Hoffman Beauty on sale at BeautyStory.

Online exclusive bonus starts Sunday at Clinique.com. Six free treats and two cosmetics bags with a minimal purchase.

Unknown said...

Poor baby! I'm glad you found him. Cats are always a little wild, aren't they? I like that about them. Hope your knees are recovering.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Ava! My knees recovered enough to go shopping this afternoon. :)

Charleston, on the other hand, has been miserable since he has been banned from the porch. It always takes me weeks to get a handyman here.