Friday, October 8, 2010

The Friday Forum - October 8

This is the time of year when the Japanese Maples start to show their stuff. Sango Kaku turns the most vivid shades of chartreuse tinged with red or orange. The pretty leaves contrasted with the coral-red bark on newer branches is a stunning combination. I know that the wonders of nature inspire the artists who create fashion and cosmetics. Has Sango Kaku been anyone's muse? How about Butterfly?

Yesterday, Tim Quinn and I talked briefly about the cream eye shadows that we are all anticipating. Some of you know that they had been due to arrive in stores this month. There was a production delay, and it will be early next year before the whole collection is available. However, there are three (gold, bronze, and silver) in one of the holiday sets, and those will arrive in a few weeks. I can't wait! Three of my favorite eye shadow shades in one set! I may update the forum this afternoon to tell you a little more. Hopefully, you saw my sneak peek at Armani's Gold Rush Collection earlier this week. I asked Tim to describe the powder in the compact, and it's definitely gold/beige. The photo makes it look light pink. Tim said the compact is stunning.

It's time for The Friday Forum! We use The Friday Forum to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? Just use the comments. Don't be shy.

We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I'm happy if even one reader stops by. Leave a comment, and say hello - even if you don't want to comment on beauty products. As I always do, I'll leave news of some great beauty offers (great, not just good) in the comments of this post. If you want to know where to find nice gifts with purchase, free shipping, and other deals this weekend, make sure to check the comments.

Thanks for reading Best Things in Beauty! Got anything you want to talk about?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see those cream eyeshadow !
I am sure they are spectacular, as usual with Armani
Please Charlestongirl, talk to us about those new lip skin When will they be available ?
Wish you a great week end

The Beauty Bug said...

I am so excited I just bought a nice at home facial steamer (the one with the adjustable arm like the pros use). I really like it, but I'm not sure what products to use with it. Do you just use it with a cleanser or a mask (not sure) Does anyboby use a steamer?

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, I will get back to you soon.

Beauty Bug, I have never used one. I used to do the towel over the head, holding head over steaming hot water in sink method. So primitive! You should have fun with it.

Did you Google it? Surely there's good info out there. Let's see what BTiB readers know.

Eileen said...

My husband is taking his mother to Costa Mesa today to visit some friends, so it looks like the huskies and I will be on our own. The lazy beasties are napping in the sun right now, but when they eventually rouse themselves, I think I'll take them for a walk up into the hills. I love fall with it's ever changing color display. Hiking in the hills with the sun shining down through the autumn leaves is like walking through a kaleidoscope. It's easy to see why this season inspires so many beautiful collections.

I also remember steaming my face over a sink full of hot water with a towel draped over my head to trap the steam. I used to add a heaping spoonful of a dried herbal laxative called Swiss Kriss. It made the air beautifully fragrant. It might sound funny, putting a laxative in the steam water, but the fragrance was so soothing and relaxing. Gosh! I haven't thought about that in years.

A restful and restorative weekend to all.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, the Lip Skin is super long-lasting, very pigmented, and has the texture of Rouge d'Armani. There will be four shades introduced, I think, with the holiday collection. That's what I remember seeing in the photos.

The holiday collection is expected in stores later this month. Loyd at Saks expects to have it in October and hopes it will arrive in two weeks. It could slip to early November. Hope not.

Charlestongirl said...

My lazy kids are napping too, Eileen. One in the sun on the porch, and one in the sun in her bedroom. I think I should join one of them!

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

I'll use the Friday Forum to announce my happiness - my DH and I will be grandparents for the first time in April. We are over the moon with excitement about this. No beauty product can compare for me right now!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, Marcia, Congratulations! Before you know it, you'll be baby sitting while you blog. :)

Eileen said...

Congratulations, Marcia! You all must be so very excited. You have many years of joy ahead of you and hopefully more grandkids, too. I think there's a special place in heaven for grandparents :-). I know mine were two extraordinary people. Their generosity of spirit and the love in their hearts knew no bounds. Once again, congratulations! I hope you'll use the Friday Forum in April to announce the birth of your new grand baby.

Leigh said...

- - Just want to put out a feeler to see if anyone can recommend a non-feathering lip liner - - preferably clear or very light. I've tried tons of stuff from many brands, but my new LMdB & Chantecaille glosses won't be fenced in!

Happy weekend to all!!

Eileen said...

Hi Leigh! Eileen here. Just a suggestion: Chantecaille makes a transparent lip line correcting pencil that is supposed to be pretty good. It's called Lip Contour Fill. Gaia at The Non Blond did a review of it 2/16/10.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh, I just dragged myself out of bed! Was so tired yesterday.

There are a bunch of clear lip liners, and you should be able to find one easily. Mally Beauty Lip Fence, a silicone-based one, is inexpensive and - from what I hear - works well. There are also others, as Eileen so helpfully noted. Naturally, Chantecaille is going to be a great bet, and you'll find that some other department store brands offer clear liners as well.

In Vicki's videos, Flawless Faces for All Races, she used Cargo Cosmetics Reverse Lip Liner Light, which you can get at Sephora or at Cargo Cosmetics. It also comes in Medium Dark. You can see her use it in Episode 2. Follow the link on my front page to Makeup Artist Backstage.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Marcia!

Leigh, Trish McEvoy's Flawless Lip works well for me. It's a waxy stick, not a liner, however. I don't use it on my entire lip, just the edge.

Leigh said...

Thanks Ava - - that's what I'm looking for - - WAX!!