Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tried and True: Giorgio Armani Beauty Foundations

I'm continuing my Tried and True series (originally prompted by Barbara's request) with Giorgio Armani Beauty's foundations. I have worn them for countless years, and I continue to wear them on every day that I'm not testing another foundation or giving my skin a rest on a makeup-free weekend day. Armani foundations are superb!

My original favorite, Hydra Glow, has been discontinued, and I think that was a sad and unwise decision by Armani Beauty. Hydra Glow quickly established a cult following among women with normal-to-dry skin (women of a certain age [dry skin] and those who can afford to purchase Armani Beauty's luxurious makeup) who wanted a medium-coverage, hydrating foundation with SPF 15. Hydra Glow leaves skin supple, even, and protected with a refined, visible glow (it's rich with Armani's Micro-fil luminous pearls that add crystalline radiance to the complexion). It moisturizes, preserves, and protects the softness of the face. It lasts all day, and I'm sure it's responsible for the compliments I get on my skin!

One day, my best Armani friend, Loyd Cassler at Saks in Chevy Chase, Maryland, got word that Hyda Glow was to be discontinued. After a second-long chat when he told me the bad news, he got on the Saks computer and ordered every #2 that was still in stock across the country. He also gave me two testers once they were of no use to Saks anymore - God bless that guy (I hope this doesn't get him in trouble with the Saks gods, who need to know what a little profit center he is!). Of the 10 he found on the computer, eight arrived at my house. I am still wearing them. I apply them sparingly, but you don't need a lot. My need for coverage is in the center of my face. My nose and chin tend to be red, and there's some redness next to my nose. I blend the foundation outward when I apply it, ending up with very little near my hairline and jaw. The #2 shade matches my skin perfectly. It's a match made in heaven.

Last week at the Tim Quinn event at Saks, one of the artists commented on my skin and how nice it looked (wasn't he sweet?). I told everyone listening that I was still wearing Hydra Glow. I'm hoping that sooner or later Tim will carry the message back to New York that we really need a replacement - or better still, a re-introduction.

There are two other Armani Beauty foundations I wear regularly. Designer Shaping Cream Foundation SPF 20 ($65) is available in a pot, which to me is less convenient than the pump applicator. It's a double-silk-blend cream foundation. Modeling silk fibers firm and contour the face, while sculpting oils replenish and smooth the skin with elegant, weightless coverage. Luminous micro-silk particles illuminate the face for an even complexion with a radiant finish, but it's not quite as radiant on me as Hydra Glow was. Although it's recommended for all skin types, I think it's best for normal-to-dry skin.

The Armani foundation I wear most often after Hydra Glow is Luminous Silk Foundation ($59), Armani's award-winning, luminous foundation designed to create a silky look with buildable coverage. Luminous Silk foundation is an oil-free fluid that also incorporates Armani's exclusive Micro-fil technology. So weightless, it redefines foundation in a sense. This liquid foundation, in the same convenient container as Hydra Glow, is definitely appropriate for all skin types. It leaves a very natural finish and provides sheer to moderate coverage. I wore it often this summer. I'm also a #2 in Luminous Silk. If I didn't have Hydra Glow for comparison, it would be my favorite foundation.

Fortunately, there's scant likelihood that Giorgio Armani Beauty will discontinue this iconic foundation. So, it's my back-up for the sad day when I run out of Hydra Glow. I think I have a few years before that happens, and I hope Armani hears me. Bring it back, please!

Photos courtesy of Armani Beauty

15 comments:

Victoria said...

I keep thinking I'll try the Luminous Silk foundation, but still haven't yet. Thanks for the review of it, I like "knowing" someone who's tried it and not just relaying on articles and whatnot.

Miss Brahms said...

Victoria, if you have not tried the Luminous Silk, you must must try it! I work at a store that sells Armani and nine times out of ten, when a customer is approaching the Armani counter, she wants this "magical" Luminous Silk foundation she's heard so much about. 10 times out of 10 when she sits in the chair and the Armani artist matches and blends it for her, she buys it. Charlestongirl describes the texture and effect perfectly, so I don't need to, but I am a natural redhead with blonde highlights, tending to a ruddy complexion, and i don't even need concealer when i apply my #4 foundation, it has that much coverage. The key point is that even though it covers my little spider veins and freckles, it never looks cakey or masky; always smooth, radiant and flawless. I need to have a great face with good skin to sell cosmetics, and I consider the Armani foundations as essential a tool of my trade as a policeman does his police car! I am over forty, so my skin is drier than it used to be, so in December/January I switch to the Designer Cream Shaping foundation, which has a bit more hydration owing to the oils in the formula.
Join the cult! Go to your nearest Armani counter, show them this blog, and ask them to give you a sample to try at home - I am sure that they will be happy to welcome you to the wonderful world of Armani foundations! :)

Clarisse said...

Charlestongirl and Victoria, you have said everything...I'll just add that I am another big fan of Armani foundations (I wish I had known Hydra glow though, it seems to be the perfect one!)
I hope the Armani deciders will be susceptible to your wonderful power of persuasion and reissue it soon, Charlestongirl:-)

Charlestongirl said...

This is so cool...my Armani foundation lovers weighed in. There is nothing more for me to say, other than you'll love it, Victoria! There's a good reason it has won so many "best in beauty" awards.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

LSF is one of my favorites and has been for years.

Nina said...

What is the best method for applying this(luminous silk) foundation? Everyone raves about it and I have tried it and it always seems too thick. Thanks!

juliapi said...

Hello Everyone,
Charlestongirl, I just discovered your blog and I love it. I also just purchased Luminous Silk foundation about 3 months ago in #5. I have dry skin and sometimes it's hard for me to find the right color match in a foundation as I have gold/red undertones or as the MUA said, you are neutral. This foundation matches me perfectly. Love it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nina,

I do the unpardonable - I use a sponge! Yes, if the sponge is new, it can waste product, but I like the ease and quickness of the sponge. Second favorite is a foundation brush. My favorite Armani MUA uses the Armani Blender Brush to apply it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Juliapi!

Thank you! Another Armani foundation fan - love it!

Anonymous said...

I am in Australia but had the same reaction to the loss of hydraglow :( I have 5 back up bottles but will cry the day I run out. I have many skin issues and this is the only foundation that has worked for me. I have worn it for 5 years.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Australia!

Wasn't it a sad day when we heard it was being discontinued. Maybe if we all write/lobby/plead/beg?

Anonymous said...

I'm also distraught that Hydra Glow has been discontinued. I've just run out and think i'm going to go with Luminous silk.

Wonder if we set up a facebook page "Bring Back Hydra Glow" would armani listen??!!!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Too funny! How about just writing to them in New York?

Anonymous said...

I have ran out of Hyrda glow after using it for years and have been trying to find an alternative foundation for months and it s just not the same, I got a sample of luminous silk and wasnt too impressed, is there anything else out there similar as it was the perfect foundation.

Charlestongirl said...

The closest you are going to get in Armani is Designer Shaping Cream Foundation SPF 20. It's not the same, though.

It does provide nice coverage. I don't like the pot as much - would rather have the pump container. I keep hoping Armani will bow to pressure to bring Hydra Glow back! I've certainly planted that seed, and I can try again with PR.