Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chantecaille Save the Sharks Palette for Spring 2013

Chantecaille's graphic and alluring new, limited-edition Save the Sharks Palette ($83) fuses trendy colors from the Spring 2013 catwalks with the freshness of the oceans in a bold yet feminine way. Featuring three eye shades with shark names, it's simply stunning: Great White, an allover sandy beige; Grey Reef, a glistening sandy taupe-grey; and Black Tip, a deep ocean blue.

The palette includes a Sea Anemone Cheek Shade, a golden pink-coral color that is universally flattering on all skin tones. The Cheek Shade was inspired by the underwater gardens of the tropical seas.

Chantecaille, known for its philanthropy, is passionate (as I am) about saving the sharks. The BLOOM Association has successfully orchestrated a top-level ban on all Hong Kong Luxury Hotels that were serving shark fin soup, for which sharks are slaughtered. Five percent of proceeds from the Save the Sharks Palette will be donated to the BLOOM Association to ban unregulated shark fin trade. You can help by never ordering the soup in restaurants.

I purchased my palette at Chantecaile's Web site the second I discovered it. I didn't even know it was coming. When it arrived, I did a little happy dance. It's even prettier than it looks on Chantecaille's site.

I took swatch photos the second the sun came out this morning. It got even better. I need to hoard this palette, as I do with all Chantecaille palettes. I wish I weren't short of cash every January.

I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply these exquisite shades. They look good in the palette, but they are extraordinary on the skin. I blended across the shark's fin as I swatched. The Great White highlighter (labeled as such) is a perfect ivory shade for highlighting or use as a base shade. The Grey Reef isn't really grey. Instead it's a fantabulous subtly shimmering taupe with a twist. This is one of those shades I will wear through (called hit pan by some). Serious palpitations when I tried it on.

The Sea Anemone Cheek Shade isn't really coral either. It looks pink to my eyes when it's applied to the skin. It's a very warm pink - as promised, one that should work for every skin tone.

The Black Tip Eyeliner is very deep blue. In my photo,you may see a hint of purple. It's not. It's midnight blue.

Every palette Chantecaille introduces is magnificent. I don't know how they do it, except for talent, creativity, and a knack for knowing what we will all love. This palette continues Chantecaille's own beauty of combining superior products with a great cause. For that, they stay at the top of my favorites list - year after year. I'm still wearing my favorite tigers multiple times per week. Come to think of it, these colors are similar to the shades in the Tiger in the Wild Palette.

I have not seen Save the Sharks in the stores yet (although it may be there), but you can order it from Chantecaille, where the shipping will be free. My recommendation? Buy at least one.


Photo at top courtesy of Chantecaille; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

36 comments:

Suselew said...

I would love this but I worry that it will not look good on my hazel eyes. Blues just don't do justice to the greens and browns and golds in my eyes. The Elephant palette was superb for that, but the ocean ones seem to have blues that just won't work. And, I want them to work so badly!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suselaw,

That blue is intended to be used as a liner. Deep blue liners open up the eyes and take out any redness. It's truly miraculous.

I won't be wearing the blue as anything but a liner.

Give it a try!

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I was so excited to see your swatches; I did not realize the shark palette was already available! The colors are absolutely gorgeous, especially that taupe. I like the choice of shark preservation as a cause; it's one that could use more spotlight. Sharks aren't warm and fuzzy (and frankly I find them terrifying), however they do deserve a spot on this earth. I saw the photo of a load of fins drying on a rooftop in NYTimes today; it was disheartening, to say the least.

solanace said...

This really is something beautifully designed. And the shark issue is so engaging!

Annick said...

Oh my goodness this is stunning! I love the design in the palette. And the shades are gorgeous as well!

Nemo said...

Don't know about the rest of you, but I will glady support real sharks compared to the 2-legged variety I encounter on dry land every day of my life.

Veronica said...

Wow- another gorgeous palette from Chantecaille! This line is fast becoming a favorite! The swatches are so pretty and definitely wearable. Thank you for sharing so quickly!!

lovethescents said...

Really beautiful palette, and particularly lovely swatches. Thanks, Charlestongirl!

Dlori said...

I saw this palette yesterday on the Chantecaille website as well as a few new lip chics, I think 2, and one more luminous gloss as well as one or 2 new brilliant glosses. Every new product was absolutely stunning. I would expect nothing less from Chantecaille. However, I'm a little confused about the colors in this palette. To my eye, the colors in the palette look different from the colors swatched. In the palette, the highlighter color looks like a taupe, the second color on your arm, which I think is one of the prettiest colors I've seen, the second color looks to me like a khaki. What surprised me the most was the swatch of the midnight blue. To me, in the palette, I thought it would be a beautiful deep, but very ocean blue color. However, on your arm, and maybe it's my computer or I see color a little different from others, but the swatch looks, again to me, like a dark, not muddy or ashy, just dark color. I really don't see blue in it. I guess I can see a little twinkle of purple or deep blue in the swatch if I really stare at it but I would never have guessed that the color in the palette would have looked as it actually did in your swatch. Is the color in the picture a true depiction of how the color looks on your skin or does the color lose something in the photo? I'm not saying I don't think the palette is stunning, because it is. It's just that I'm a little disappointed in the blue color in that I would have thought it would appear more ocean blue, closer to the color I see in the palette.

Jo said...

This is gorgeous, as per usual from Chantecaille. I must have it!

Unknown said...

This palette is stunning. Can't wait to use this one. Sure to be a favorite. Chantecaille does it again!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dovey,

I didn't know it was out until I "went shopping" for an item that should be out.

I haven't read all my Times yet. I hate seeing things like that.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Solanace,

I am smitten.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Annick, it's a cool, deco appearance. Very nicely done!

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, that was my laugh of the day.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Veronica,

Wish I could have shown it last week. Would have spiced up a slow week. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lovethescents!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dlori,

Chantecaille calls the shade a very deep blue, and I agree with them. It didn't photograph well, but in person, you can see how dark it is when applied. Since the package insert says it's a liner, I'm not surprised. Did you apply the shades? Might make all the difference. I found them a bit different on my skin (better different) than they look in the palette.

The Lip Chics and other "new" things you saw aren't exactly new at this point.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jo, gorgeous indeed!

Charlestongirl said...

I know, JEM, everything that company does it amazing!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I feel like I should buy this since I live in Montauk, the shark fishing capital of, at least, the east coast!
It is gorgeous...
@Suselew: What about the gray-taupe shade? And the peachy tones? I think the deep blue can also look amazing on hazel eyes (which I have) and, as CG herself said, takes out the redness. Go for it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

You MUST!

Elizabeth said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for the swatches.

Question: is this taupe shade at all similar to the taupey-brown in the turtles palette if you can recall off hand?

Charlestongirl said...

Dlori, you were right about the lippies.

Eileen said...

The swatches of this palette are so much more beautiful than the promo picture would suggest. They'll create a delicate, softly luminous, neutral eye. As for the cheek color, on Olivia C's promo picture, it definitely looks pink as well--just like your swatch. I was surprised when I saw her promo picture and then the promo picture of the palette. There was a bit of a disconnect. Perhaps it's Chantecaille's penchant for using over-sprays on their palettes that is skewing the colors' appearance in the promo shots. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the shark palette as well as seeing the Lip Chic in Daphne (warm nude pink). I think it will work in perfect harmony with the delicacy of the eye shades. I'm also interested in seeing the new gel liner in Geode. It's described as a silver sepia. I bet it is beautiful with the Great White and Great Reef shades. I really do like Chantecaille's esthetic--small selection of carefully edited products that combine to gorgeous effect. Well done!

Lisa C said...

These are stunning shades! I had never tried anything of theirs before until just recently when I picked up a lipstick and I have to say that for the price I wasn't that impressed. Maybe I picked up the wrong shade? So I'm afraid to try anything else although this is absolutely beautiful!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, the lip shades are on their way to me. As for Geode, I wrote Chantecaille last night to find out where it is. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Sorry you chose the wrong shade, Lisa. Give it a try again. If you can choose at a counter, it would be best.

Eileen said...

Hi Lisa,

Chantecaille makes several different lipstick formulas and, as is true in most brands, some are better than others. The one that is balm-like and which has legions of fans is Lip Chic. Is that the one you purchased? If so, I agree with Charlestongirl's advice to actually select a shade at the counter. Lip Chic is sheer enough to permit your own lip color to peek through, so an arm swatch-- although close-- will never give you the whole story. Lip Chic tends to look darker and more vibrant in the tube than when applied.

Dlori said...

Are these NEW colors for the NEW Chantecaille collection:

LIP CHICS
Rose Délice
Daphne
Nocturne

Luminous Gloss
Framboise
Pink Melon

Thanks
Dlori

Charlestongirl said...

Dlori...

Lumimous Gloss:
Framboise – New
Pink Melon – New

Lip Chic:
Daphne – nude pink (New)
Rose Delice – plum (New)

Ginny said...

Are you going to post a swatch review on the 2 new lip chic and the luminous gloss? I really look forward to seeing those!

Charlestongirl said...

Ginny, yes. Later this week.

Unknown said...

CG, I just went to visit Jeanine at Mazza after looking at your swatches. The palette is heavenly!! Thanks for posting such wonderful pictures!

Amanda said...

This is cool!

Charlestongirl said...

I wore it today, Amanda!