Friday, January 4, 2013

Dior Addict Lipstick from the Chérie Bow Collection for Spring 2013

Dior’s Spring 2013 Color Collection is called the Chérie Bow Collection, and it’s characterized by bows and feminine shades, especially pink. It pays homage to the ribbons worn by the Duchesse de Fontanges, a French noblewoman and one of the many mistresses of Louis XIV of France. Apparently, Louis showed his great affection for Marie by wearing ribbons that were often matched to hers. You can read more about her at Wikipedia. Those royals from the 1600s would certainly draw tabloid attention today.

Christian Dior thought that pink was “the softest of colours," and the color "of happiness and femininity." The spring collection is abundant with pinks.

Dior's centerpiece for the Spring 2013 Collection is the Chérie Bow Palette (you can see it on the display photo below at the left). I stood at Nordstrom agonizing over whether to buy it. It contains eye shadows in grey, pink, and charcoal, along with black eyeliner and pink gloss in a gimmicky hard shell case. I decided I couldn't afford its $80 price for colors that are duplicates of many of the colors I have, even Dior colors. It's a great palette for gals with no makeup.

I was enchanted by the three new pastel Dior Addict Lipsticks ($31) on the display and walked away with two: Candide (#457) and Espiègle (#687). I could easily have purchased the third, Charmante, a soft coral, but I held back to save some money. Now I want it. I should have gone with my instinct to buy it.

Candide is shown below on the left, with Espiègle on the right.

These are gorgeous, pastel, sheer shades that delight me any time of year. They are perfect for spring - a spring that we already know will be all about pink.

I was able to get photos of the two Lip Addicts yesterday, even though there were high clouds that partially obscured the sun. I

Candide is shown at the top of my arm, with Espiègle, a darker pink, below. While they look radically different in the tube, and I can see clear differences in them in my swatch photos and on my lips, you may feel they are minor variations on ballerina pink.

Candide is very warm, and Espiègle is very cool. Espiègle definitely leans blue on the lips. On my lips, I almost see a touch of grape with Espiègle. They are not as shiny indoors as they are outdoors with full sun directed at them.

Dior Addict Lipsticks feel great on the lips. The hydrating and volumizing formula dresses the lips with a veil of addicting color and very nice shine. Perhaps, I'll drop by Nordstrom for Charmante this weekend.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I find the packaging of the palette far more attractive than the colours it houses. But the price is very unattractive. But then, it's Dior!

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, it's high, Dollie.

Eileen said...

When I saw the promo picture of the Chérie bow palette, I thought it was adorable, but when I saw it in person, it was just too cutesy for my taste. I could get beyond the "Little Miss" aspect of the case if the colors were unique or if their formulation was something new and special, but they're not and they're not :-( I think you're right in saying this would be a fun palette for a young woman who doesn't have much of a makeup collection yet. The same holds true for many of the other pieces in the collection. Overall, it is a very young, girlish collection as the inclusion of the word Chérie would indicate. The only item I picked up was Espiègle. As for being pretty in pink this spring, I'll stick with what I've already got: Chanel's Rose Envolée, Guerlain's Les Bois de Rose and Guerlain's Rue de Rivoli. I think I've got it covered :-)

Nawi said...

They look very much alike and sheer on your arm.

Jenn & Nicole (beautykissxo) said...

Loving the Dior Addict lipstick shades - they're the kind that i love and wear the most often

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Yep, too young, EXCEPT...I picked up one quint that is really very nice. Will post in the morning, and for me the blusher is good. Maybe not for you - could be too pink.

Charlestongirl said...

Nawi, they ware sheer on the lips too. I can see the color (for sure), but it's influenced by my own lip pigment.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Jenny,

I have loved them since they first came out.

Jo said...

The only thing I bought from this collection is the Rosy Bow nail polish. It was too cute to pass up. I'll wait a few months to wear it though. I may take another look at Espiegle.

Anonymous said...

Those colors are gorgeous! They'd be perfect for spring, just to add a pop of color to your lips. This whole collection just looks absolutely adorable.

Gigi48 said...

Pink nailcolor looks pretty. I love Dior nail polish.

Polarbelle said...

I just got these two in the mail yesterday. I am also wondering if I should have gotten the coral...and I am wondering if the double ended shadow pencils are too kitchy or if they're worth $30 each. Thinking about the pink quint and the baby pink nail polish. And the blush. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi CG,

Quick question about the nail polishes released with the Cherie Bow collection. The display photos and all of the online retailers are only listing two: Rosy Bow and Gris Trianon. The nail blogs, however, keep listing a third shade: a milky nude-pink (with hints of lavender, perhaps?) called Tutu. Any information on when Tutu might be released, and if it is indeed part of the spring collection?

I absolutely adore your blog...it's a daily read!

Hope all is well.