Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dolce & Gabbana Smooth Eye Colour Duo in Gems

At first glance, Dolce & Gabbana's Smooth Eye Color Duo ($26) in Gems might not appear to be an ideal color combination for me. I'm not a lavender gal. So when I looked at the colors in the compact, my first thought was "50-50 chance I could wear it." Of course, knowing my favorite rep, the colors on my skin said "nice"!

Dolce & Gabbana grouped their color duo palettes using the same philosophy they apply when selecting fabrics for a collection - seeking contrasts that produce harmony. The quad and duo combinations range from striking - like theatrical evening wear fabrics - to classic, subtle at times, and very adaptable.

The marketing blurb is actually spot on with Gems. What isn't is the online swatch for it at Saks. There is no resemblance between the light blue and medium blue shown online and the violet and lavender-taupe that you'll see when you flip open the compact. It amazes me. How do companies expect women to shop online when they can't provide a somewhat accurate swatch photo?

Anyhow, the texture, wear, and finish of Gems is absolutely lovely. The violet shade leans blue, which means I can wear it. What appears to be lavender-taupe in the compact is actually more taupe and less lavender on my skin, which suits me fine. I love the two shades together. They remind me of one of my favorite color combinations, blue and brown, but with a twist.

I took swatch photos in full sun - in the cold - last week. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the swatches relatively heavily. As you can see, neither or the shades is sparkly. The violet leaves a subtle sheen, and the taupe has a satin finish. I won't call it matte because it doesn't look lifeless on my skin. I wish I had thought to take fingertip photos last week, and, unfortunately, I can't take them today. It is very grey outside, as the storm moves in from the west - the storm that is dumping rain and churning tornadoes in January.

My friend sees more lavender in the taupe shade than I do. I can see it in the compact, but I don't see more than a slight hue on my skin. I think both shades are beautiful when used alone, and they are special when combined.

My friend sent me the duo for consideration for review. Once I tried it, I knew why he selected it. He always finds a way to show me how I can wear colors I tend to avoid. He's done it again.

You can order this, or anything else from Dolce & Gabbana or from Saks. If you have a Saks credit card, shipping will be free. Otherwise, there is a $7 shipping charge. If you order $150 or more, use code JANSF when you order online (with any credit card), and your shipping will be free.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

21 comments:

Nemo said...

This is an old DG eye duo. I own it, have, for years now. It is one of the most beautiful I own. I wear it with the DG Mauve Diamond blush which was also part of that particular collection. Love them! I think DG is an underrated makeup line. I have used just about all of the DG makeup items, and i recommend the following: eye shadow duos, like the Gems, but not the eye quads; the blushes; the classic creme lipsticks only. Not the nail polishes--they smell toxic. And the DG makeup brushes were horrid. A story: Some years back I wore DG's Devil lipstick to the gym, and topped it with Charm gloss. A friend came over and told me all the guys were drooling over my lips, haha. I reacted by purchasing more! I don't think DG has come out with anything new in a long time. Gems is not new, nor is the Animalier bronzer featured a few days back. That item has been around for years. I like DG. One of my fav shadow duos is Evocative. Hardly for a fair skin, but makes me look sultry. It is all quality makeup, too, with unusual, daring shades.

Charlestongirl said...

Gosh, Nemo, I didn't say it was new. Just pretty. :)

As for the Animalier bronzer, Dustin says this one is slightly different from the earlier version. I trust him on that. I wish I could remember why he said it was different. Oh how I miss my mind!

Nemo said...

Ask him for his opinion on the Mauve Diamond blush for you, the one that goes with Gems. I think it would be stunning for you. It is quite unusual. I keep all my DG in a special drawer. That's how good they are.

Brenda Penton said...

I am surprised at how different it is compared to the colors it has listed on the site! Very pretty duo though!

Eileen said...

Charlestongirl, Dustin hit a homerun in selecting this duo for you. The colors are beautiful and will look lovely with your blue eyes. You'll need to try a blusher next. They're finely milled and apply so smoothly. Nemo's recommendation of Mauve Diamond would be stunning on you as long as you apply it with a very light hand. Your skin is so fair! I remember when Mauve Diamond was released, it absolutely took my breath away. Unfortunately, it didn't quite suit me and I ended up purchasing Delight instead. It is similar in tone, but not as intense and it is a---delight! :-) D&G really makes some gorgeous shades. I also have the blushers in Peach and Rosebud. I am such a blusher junkie! I know you'll have fun discovering D&G.

Lisa said...

Completely agree with Nemo about DGs unusual but beautiful eyeshadow duos as well as their underrated status. Dustin made a lovely selection for you. Those colors will surely make the blue in your eyes pop! Thnk you for the terrific post!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, Nemo, I looked online. Mauve Diamond looks too dark for me. I'm sure I could apply it lightly, but...

I'll ask Dustin what shade he would use because the swatches are useless.

Charlestongirl said...

Brenda,

Horrible swatches! I learned this a long time ago, and now plan to buy only from Dustin.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Peach and Rosebud were the two I gravitated to, but the online swatches are horrible. I don't even see Delight!

Nemo said...

Oh, the joy, at last, others actually agree with me! Haha. Eileen,I own DG Delight and Rosebud blushes, too. DG makes exquisite blush colors. Perhaps the prettiest ever is the DG bright orange one called Sole. It is exquisite. I paired it with a DG creme lipstick called Venere. Those would be too much for you, but Rosebud and Delight would be nice. I am glad DG is still making cosmetics.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lisa,

Have you tried anything from D&G?

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, I just have to hop on a train and go to NYC!

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Check D&G'S site for the swatch of Delight. Sephora has a swatch but it is way off. For a "in real life" picture, Sabrina posted comparison swatches of Delight and Mauve Diamond when she reviewed the the Precious Stones collection (11/25/11). I believe she also has swatches of Peach and Rosebud on her blog. They're all pretty colors and give that coveted soft glow.

Isn't the poor quality of online swatches amazing? We have the technology to accurately reproduce the colors, so why don't retailers spend a few bucks and get it done properly? Sometimes it's a question of a poor monitor, but so many of us have state of the art equipment and the swatches are still terrible. You'd think the cosmetic company would push for as accurate a reproduction as possible. After all, if a woman is terribly disappointed in the color of the product she receives and the only way she can buy the particular brand is online, she'd probably be tempted to just stop purchasing the brand. I learned a long time ago to never, ever trust the retailer's images. Heck! I don't even trust most blog pictures I see. Just today I saw a review of Guerlain's Romance and had to pull out my tube to see if it was the same color. It wasn't!

Perhaps you'll be lucky and your Sephora will actually carry D&G'S products.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Eileen! I went to Sabrina's site and found her swatches. Delight appears to be better for me.

As for the poor color swatches, if they prevented customers from purchasing, maybe companies would do something about it.

When I first started blogging, my photos were pretty bad. Turns it it was the camera I was using. Once I got the new micro four thirds, I have had much brighter photos. Plus I got better at it.

I hate to say it, but I don't trust many blog photos either, particularly those taken indoors or with flash. Some bloggers have professional photo equipment set up in their homes, and their photos are great. Fortunately, there are some blogs, like Sabrina's, I do trust - always - even if the blogger's skin tone is entirely different from mine. I can figure out how the color will look on me.

Mary Ann said...

Glad to see you featuring more DG. I agree go to their website the swatches are better and they play weird music too. I love the eye quads. Have about 4 of them. I will call Dustin next time, would love to try the cream foundation.

Charlestongirl said...

Mary Ann,

If you haven't worked with Dustin, you will adore him.

Lisa said...

Only played, not purchased. The duo combinations remind me of the now defunked Versace Beauty.

Melanie said...

Oh, I LOVE that! Any icky parabens? Hard to find ingredients for D&G on-line. Best of luck with your weather, too!

Anonymous said...

I miss Versace makeup! :-(

Lisa said...

Me too!

Jules said...

I just met Dustin when I called Saks several days ago to place an order, He is a very knowledgable and nice gentleman. He was so helpful and I look forward to buying more from him in the future. If you go to Saks definitely stop by D&G and meet Dustin to find out how he can help you.