Monday, August 8, 2011

Bobbi Brown Tailored Collection - Neiman Marcus Exclusive

Like a perfectly tailored pinstripe suit, Bobbi Brown's Tailored Collection ($100), a Neiman Marcus exclusive, telegraphs "polished, office-appropriate chic." In addition to a sleek palette filled with Bobbi's flattering and versatile shades for your eyes and lips, it features Illuminating Bronzer Powder, Blush, and Lash Glamour Extreme Lengthening Mascara to complete a chic look.

The collection also includes three mini-sized makeup brushes: a dual-ended Eye Shadow/Eye Liner Brush, a mini Lip Brush, and mini Face Blender Brush (one of my faves - one can never have too many of these). These brushes come with short handles making them perfect for travel and on-the-go makeup application.

Everything comes perfectly packed in a pinstriped makeup case with a divider to keep them separate.

The pinstriped Tailored Face Palette includes the following colors.
  • Navajo Eye Shadow (creamy pinkish white)
  • Petal Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow (light pink)
  • Gray Pearl Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow (medium gray)
  • Caviar Eye Shadow (blackest brown)
  • Antigua Illuminating Bronzing Powder (light pink bronze)
  • Peony Blush (bright pink)
  • Soiree Pink Glitter Lip Gloss (pale pink)
  • Nude Pink Lip Gloss (neutral pink)
  • Pink Bouquet Glitter Lip Gloss (rosy pink)
Most of the colors are soft and subtle, as you will see from my swatch photos below. I took my photos in full sun, I applied all the shades heavily for these photos. The eye shades and cheek shades were applied with a sponge-tipped applicator. The lip shades were applied with the handy mini Lip Brush that comes in the set. I did not swatch the mascara, which is black.

You won't be able to see Navajo eye shadow at the top of my arm. I could barely see it, no matter how much I applied. It matches my skin perfectly, masking imperfections and redness, but without adding color. It's a perfect base shade. The shimmering pink Petal Shimmer Wash is a baby pink shadow - very pretty, although it may not be my best shade. The two greys in the group, Gray Pearl Shimmer Wash and Caviar, will give you options for accenting or lining your eyes. My personal favorite is Gray Pearl.

The three lip glosses are very light. Soiree Pink Glitter is shown at the top of my arm, Nude Pink in the middle, and Pink Bouquet Glitter at the bottom. Pink Bouquet Glitter is the only one of the three I could wear without lipstick underneath. I really like that lip brush, though!

The cheek shades are both very nice. My favorite is Antigua, which is a gorgeous warm pink bronze shade. It's perfect as a blush on me. I bought it the second Bobbi Brown introduced it. Peony Blush is a bit bright. I have to apply it with a very light hand.

I purchased this collection when it was still in pre-sale at Neiman Marcus at Mazza Galleria. I'm glad to have it. It's one of those handy palettes with brushes that you might want to keep in your desk drawer at the office (you never know when you'll have to freshen your makeup). It will come in handy. It's one of those classics you can always use.

There are instructions for application, should you need them, at neimanmarcus.com. You can purchase the Tailored Collection there or at your favorite Neiman Marcus store.

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

lovethescents said...

Phew! Something else I don't need :-) This palette looks very handy for the office ladies....at work, all I need is lipstick or gloss. I work the night shift and my patients usually can't see me ;-)

Hlopushka said...

I don't know why, but i'm not impressed....Colors are pretty, but I really don't find it super useful, even for the office:(
I like the fact that the brushes are included though.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents!

It's pretty. Not essential, though. You can purchase the best of the items individually. Save your money for your big shopping trip!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hlopushka!

I agree...if I had tested before I purchased, I might not have bought. I do love having the extra brushes for my makeup bag, though.

Pretty, but not totally essential, particularly for someone who has a lot of BB makeup.

Charlestongirl said...

I want to clarify my earlier comments. I have boxes full of Bobbi Brown makeup. That's why it's not essential to me. For anyone who isn't as well stocked as I am, this is a very good buy!

lizzybee said...

I think it looks beautiful!! I love that the brushes, which are so great, are included with this. I just don't need it. Thanks for the terrific review and swatches. I feel so fortunate to have discovered your site!! Beth in Pgh xo ;-)

Sophia1105 said...

As someone who has more BB MU than is necessary and often works a night shift, I still feel the ooo's and aaahhh's coming over me and want this, if just for the sake of something new and all those shades together. Go figure. I love Bobbi and really love the crisp take BB can have on MU and this seems (apart from some of the glitter l/s) closer to it than face palettes in the past.

Charlestongirl said...

Well, Sophia, I "just wanted it" too. :) And it's not a glitter bomb, which is nice.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered this and I'm so excited that I found your review on this! I have never tried any of Bobbi's products so I thought that this was the perfect palette! Thanks for sharing this! I love Charleston and got married on Sullivan's Island this past summer!