Monday, August 1, 2011

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour

Laura Mercier's fabulous new eye shadows, Caviar Stick Eye Colour ($24), arrived at my local Neiman Marcus last week, and I'm impressed. Inspired by Laura Mercier's cult classic Caviar Eye Liner, Caviar Stick Eye Colour offers a superbly easy way to create a smoky eye look - one that can range from subtle to dramatic, depending on your application technique.

Available in seven irresistible, creamy shades, the water-resistant sticks offer glamorous color. I find it interesting that the first two shades I purchased, Khaki and Amethyst, reminded me of Chanel's Khaki Platine and Rose Platine eyeliners, even though the Laura Mercier shades are darker. I bought another one of these Laura Mercier beauties on my second round. Steel was calling my name.

We continue to have makeup-melting weather, so I only rolled out the color of my three new shades a tiny amount for the photo at right. Steel is shown at left, Khaki in the center, and Amethyst at right. I did get two decent swatch photos - one in full sun and one when the sun ducked behind the clouds.

The shades on my arm, top to bottom, are Amethyst, Khaki, and Steel. I applied them heavily and directly from the tubes. I did not smudge them, which is recommended. Because the shades set quickly (they are long-wearing and transfer- and crease-resistant), it's best to smudge them quickly, using your fingertip to achieve the intensity you desire. They blend beautifully.

At left above, the three shades are shown in full sun. My "cloudy" photo, shown at right, probably depicts the shimmer level more accurately. The colors are not super-shimmery, but rather subtly shimmery. Once blended, they lose much of the shimmer, leaving behind a gleaming smoke in one of your favorite shades. The problem with my swatch photos is that the actual shades are best portrayed in the full-sun photo. Steel is not as blue as it appears in the photo with the white hydrangea, and Khaki does have a khaki hue, although it's very brown too.

If you want to see more photos, head over to The Non-Blonde. Gaia chose Sapphire, Amethyst, and Khaki. Amethyst looks like a different shade on her skin, but Khaki looks remarkably similar on both of us.

These stunning eye shadows are available at Laura Mercier's Web site and your favorite Laura Mercier counter. I bought mine at Neiman Marcus. Make sure to look at the Classic Smoky Eye Palette too.

Photo at top courtesy of Laura Mercier; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

21 comments:

lovethescents said...

Just beautiful...love how Amethyst looks, particularly! Thank you for these great pictures :-)

Rachel said...

I grabbed steel, jungle and cocoa and they are gorgeous. I'm about to write them up as well. Now to resist buying the rest.

Me said...

Must. Have. Khaki!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents!

Amethyst is gorgeous. When I heard the color, I was sure it was going to be purple and kind of dismissed it. Kathy Shoreman convinced me I needed it. She was right.

Clarisse said...

Beautiful shades and moreover they are long lasting and easy to carry around: what else can we ask?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rachel, I was VERY tempted by Cocoa. Jungle is gorgeous too - just not sure I'll use it as often as I'll use the others.

Yep, resisting the urge to buy them all is very hard. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Zuzu!

When smudged, it's probably the darkest khaki I have. VERY sultry on me. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Good question, Clarisse! What more can we ask? They are easy to carry around, but they won't need to be re-applied late in the day. These shades stick around on the skin forever!

Rachel said...

I've got blue/green/gray eyes and pale skin, I have several similar style colors and it lets me do a complex smokey that I love. Right now the test strip is on my arm, fully dried and not moving an inch, and it's a green-black with gold/multicolored sheen. So. Pretty. Cocoa is all warm and and slightly coppery.

Charlestongirl said...

Rachel, once this shadow dries completely, you will need an oily eye makeup remover to get it off. I use Bobbi Brown Long-Wear. The shadow lasts forever on my lids!

Rachel said...

Just experimented with lanccome micellar cleansing water. Worked without hard rubbing, though I did have to go back and forth a few times.

Bunny Masseuse said...

@Rachel,
I had the LM girls at NM apply Cocoa on me (I was skeptical it would look good) but it really did bring out my green eyes well on this fair skinned person! I got it, don't have a lot of brown shimmery-ish eye pencils like this! Came off fine with the Fresh Soy Cleanser at the end of the day.

Laurajh said...

Thank you for posting about the stick colors! I picked up Amethyst on Friday and immediately went back for Khaki on Saturday.
They have not budged or creased on me in 110 degree weather. The best thing is their ease of use. I find that most long wear products are a chore to apply, b/c one wrong move and you have to start all over. Bravo to LM! This is the first cosmetic item I have been excited about this year.

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

I've been wanting to try these, and as usual, you've made a great case for me running out and getting some! Evil woman.

Thanks for the great review!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! Thanks for the post.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Rachel, Bunny Masseuse, Laurajh, Shannon, and Anonymous!

I'm glad to hear that you like these stick shadows as much as I do! I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't come off - just that it takes an eye makeup remover, not just soap and water, to remove it easily. :) It's very long-lasting, a fabulous feature.

Hope you enjoy it! This is a wonderful Laura Mercier addition. Now, let's hope for even more shades! I can imagine a few I'd love to have.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

You are tempting me beyond belief, twisting my arm so hard that I might have to buy....oops! Too late. I acquiesced and got the cocoa and khaki. Anything that stays on in hot weather has me at "hello." (And you can tell, you really didn't have to twist that arm very hard, did you?!?)

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal, I don't recall twisting at all. LOL!

Bonnie C. said...

Thanks for sharing these with us Charlestongirl. :-) I've been curious about cream eye shadow sticks ever since seeing the version Smashbox put out, but haven't yet taken the leap to try them myself. These look like a great product though. :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bonnie!

You would love stick shadows. They are so fast and easy!

abbeautycall said...

Gorg colors! I agree shadow sticks are so easy, quick and a lot of them are waterproof and STAY. I'm surprised LM took so long to come out with their own