Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Gris Exquis from Aquarelles de Chanel Collection

Here is the single Soft Touch Eyeshadow that is part of the Aquarelles de Chanel Collection that just arrived at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria. Gris Exquis ($28.50) is a medium-toned grey, perfect to create a smoky eye. Use it dry as your shadow, then apply it with a damp liner brush for your eyeliner. It can serve double duty.

Soft Touch Eyeshadow, a Chanel classic, is an ultra-fine powder eye shadow that's "foolproof" in its application and fabulous in its range of matte, satin, and shimmer finishes. The versatile formula can be applied dry for subtle shading, or dampened for more intense color, and the complementary shades available can be blended with one another to lighten or deepen tone.

Gris Exquis is matte to my eye. I don't see even a smidgen of shimmer or gleam in the color on my skin. It can be used easily to create a smoky eye - from light to dramatic - depending on your preference and application technique. My photos were taken in full sun (oops except for the shadows). Any glimmers you see are reflected sunlight.

I swatched with a sponge-tipped applicator and applied the shadow fairly lightly. If you use a brush, the tone will be lighter. You can build your desired level of "smoke." Of course, you'll use a brush!

Gris Exquis won't set your world ablaze. It's not unique, and if you like grey shadows, you probably have several that are similar in color. That's not to say it isn't pretty. I just don't want to leave you with the impression that it's a rush-out-to-buy shade.

I purchased it because many of the greys that have attracted me recently are shimmering shades. I want to play with a more matte look for fall and winter. I usually like a little shimmer on my eyes. I have to be more flexible!

The Aquarelles de Chanel Collection is available at select Neiman Marcus doors. I understand it will also be available at Chanel online this week or next.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Soni said...

And THAT is why it is so important to see swatches. When I saw the pic of this I thought, "meh, it's ok, looks like it may be too light of a grey that could turn blue on me." Then I saw the swatch on your arm & realized it's actually more of a mid-tone grey. Very lovely. Something I do not have in my arsenal of mostly nudes/taupes/browns. I think it will look gorgeous paired with taupe grise.

Thank you for the beautiful pics!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Soni! Even in my compact photos, there is a blue cast, but in person it doesn't read blue (at least on me) at all. I would describe the color as slate grey.

Eileen said...

I wonder how this would look with EB's Storm? I like to combine different finishes when I do an eye look. (That's what I love about Guerlain's palettes) Storm's shimmer would be tamed and softened for day by pairing it with a soft glowing matte. And face it, Chanel's mattes are not the flat, one dimensional kind that are so typical of many of the lesser brands. What do you think, Charlestongirl? I pair Mirage with Mystery, but EB doesn't have anything to go with Storm. Would Gris Equis work?

Charlestongirl said...

Hmmm, Eileen...what a cool idea! I have Storm on my bathroom counter. I will go play. Before summer set in, I had been swiping it across my lids on workday mornings as I hurried to get ready. I can easily envision the blend with Chanel's new shade.

I totally agree with your assessment that Chanel's mattes are not boring flats. I think it's the boring flats that so turned me away from matte shadows. While they are "age-appropriate" for me, they bore me. I think they make my eyes look lifeless.

Thanks for the idea!

lovethescents said...

I don't have any grey shadows. They look so beautiful but I always fear they would make my eyes look too sunken in. I guess it's a matter of technique. I'll try to try it at the counter to see what we can do :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

If you have deep-set eyes, you might like EB Storm more than this one. Definitely try grey, though. Even if you can't get your hands on this Chanel collection, most of the lines offer a nice medium-toned grey. Just find a MUA who won't turn you into a hooker.

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

You are so funny! I don't think anyone could turn Lovethescents into a hooker, but then again you never know. I had a determined Bobbi Brown MA who did a pretty good job on me once with a purple smoky eye! LOL

Apropos mattes only on women of a certain age, who on earth started that terrible bit of advice? A misogynist obviously! Healthy skin is reflective and has a soft luminous quality that many of us women of a certain age work very hard to maintain! Why on earth would we want to cover it up with products that are flat and matte? Obviously, we don't want to look like disco queens or like we hang out with Tinker Bell, but silk, satin, soft shimmer, and even mico-glitter can have a place in our make-up kits. The better brands that have mature women as their primary target have been quick to realize that their so-called matte eyeshadows need to be natural and have a subtle glow. End of rant.

Hi Lovethescents,

Storm is one of the most beautiful, reflective, storm cloud grays you could imagine. And, the name fits it perfectly because, depending on the light, it throws off barely perceptible sparks of blue like a lightning bolt exploding inside a rain cloud. Stunning! Don't get me wrong. This isn't a blue gray at all. It's warm and veers slightly towards taupe. It just has that extra dimension to it that is the hallmark of EB colors. I wish I knew how he comes up with them. Deceptively simple in the pan, they interact with skin tone and light in such a beautiful way. The man's a genius. Anyway, a light wash of Storm on your eyes would look beautiful especially with a deep shimmery gray liner to enhance your lashes. If I can wear Storm without looking like I belong in the morgue, you can definitely rock it, chérie :-)

lovethescents said...

Charlestongirl, you're so funny! Hooker! I just jotted Storm down to check out during our NYC trip.

Eileen, you and Charlestongirl are so good for my ego! I love your ideas. What shimmery grey liner do you use?

Eileen said...

Hi Lovethescents,

I use Bobbi Brown's Graphite Shimmer Ink which is a deep pearly gray gel liner or Chanel's Black Shimmer waterproof automatic pencil when I want something less defined and lighter. Most of the time I go with the BB because I have black lashes and brows. You'll have soooooo much fun shopping for goodies in NYC!

lovethescents said...

Oooh, thanks for that, Eileen! I'll look for these...I will have fun shopping! Come meet us? I'm already trying to convince Charlestongirl too. You two can share the helicopter, no?