Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New: Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color Collection

New colors from Tom Ford's Lip Color Collection ($48) arrived at Neiman Marcus! I found three of them irresistible - even without the testers, which haven't arrived. There's a peek below at the shades I purchased.

Tom Ford believes that a woman attains true glamour by amplifying her individuality and expressing her own iconic style of sophistication and seductiveness. With Tom Ford Beauty, he introduces 18 new lip colors that "empower a woman to transform her look and mood and express her most glamorous self."

Formulated with rare and exotic ingredients, including soja seed extract, Brazilian murumuru butter, and chamomilla flower oil, the luxurious formula has an ultra-creamy texture for an incredibly smooth application. Specially treated color pigments are blended to deliver pure color with just the right balance of luminosity.

I purchased three colors that are all in my comfort zone: #02, Pink Adobe; #03, Casablanca; and #04, Indian Rose. I took photos of them in the tubes and on my arm. I realize that they look extremely similar in the tubes in these photos, but they are unique shades.

The tube of #02, Pink Adobe, is shown above right. It's a rose-toned pink with a hint of brown to my eye. Casablanca, #03 is shown at left. I would describe it as a vibrant blue-toned rose. It's the darkest of the three shades I purchased. Indian Rose, #04, is shown below right. I'd describe it as a medium-toned rose pink that straddles the cool/warm spectrum.

I swatched all three shades on my arm in this order, top to bottom (yes, out of order): #02 Pink Adobe, #04 Indian Rose, and #03 Casablanca. All photos were taken in full sun, which added a bit of sparkle to the swatch photos. I would call the finish of these lip colors gleaming, with a bit of shine in strong light, but not sparkly.

Adobe Pink is shown at the top of my arm. Tom Ford's color chart of the new shades shows it on the top row with the nude and brown tones. Next down on my arm is #04, Indian Rose. Hopefully you can see in my swatches that it's the "neutral shade." Both Indian Rose and Casablanca, which is shown at the bottom of my arm, are featured on the middle row of Tom Ford's color chart, which includes colors that range from light pink to a deep Violet Fatale. The bottom row shows the reds in every shade of the red spectrum. Sabrina posted a photo of the card at The Beauty Look Book.

While all the shades offer saturated color, Casablanca is the deepest of those I purchased. It warms up a little in the sun, but it is definitely cooler on my lips than the other two shades. The swatch photo below left is probably the best portrait of the shade, even though there's too much reflected sun on my arm.

The pigmentation of your own lips will determine how intense these lipsticks look on you. They all offer saturated coverage. I found when applying Casablanca that I had to tidy up the bottom lip line I had drawn from the tube. Naturally, a lip liner would have helped. I could have applied it more precisely with a lip brush, but I usually don't take the time for that.

They are very pretty. Did I "need" three new lipsticks, each costing $48? No, I'd probably have been just as happy with two. The elegant black-brown cases will be an eye-catcher, though, when I pull one out of my handbag. I'll have to select one of the shades as a take-along.

You can purchase the Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color Collection at Neiman Marcus. I can verify that the store at Tysons Galleria received all the new shades. Feel free to give Kathy Shoreman a call at 571-212-8399 (her cell) if you don't have a store with a Tom Ford counter near you.

Photo courtesy of Tom Ford

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look like they have a lovely finish. I don't know if I could ever commit to that price tag though!

Charlestongirl said...

No doubt about it - they are pricey! The finish is lovely. I usually go for less pigmentation, more shine, but these are fabulous to take into the fall/winter season.

Liz said...

I am so sad that I missed out on bruised plum - apparently, it was discontinued with the advent of new line. :(

lovethescents said...

These are true, luxurious beauties. I'm so glad you got at least one. You deserve it if anyone does, Charlestongirl! I've swatched the formulas before and they're gorgeous. Baby steps, though. I'm not ready for that price tag, with the usual Canadian markup.

Thank you so much for your swatches and the review!

I look forward to your Serge Lutens lipstick reviews next (insert evil grin)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Liz!

Sabrina listed what's in and what's out. Check out her blog. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents,

You ARE evil. No counter here even has the SL ones. Thank the heavens!

Veronica said...

Thank you for the gorgeous swatches!!! These are the exact shades I had my eye on and I told myself "Only one!". Well, thanks to you, these three lovelies will find their way into my makeup bag!!!

lovethescents said...

Hey Charlestongirl, aren't you ready for an NYC trip soon? THEY have Serge's makeup :-).....start saving; we all need that review, I think :-)

so said...

The blue toned rose, I believe was Casablanca, is very similar to the Egyptian pink that Prescriptives had out years ago. It's a lovely color. I liked them all but I especially like lip colors with a little blue in them.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

What about fragrance? When he worked with EL the lipsticks were way too fragranced for my taste. What did you notice?

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Ah....finally, my computer is back online!!! I'm so glad I didn't miss this post, because everything Tom Ford does is appealing to me (and I am lovin' that Pink Adobe). Gorgeous! A treat, for sure.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Veronica!

Glad to be an enabler. :)

Charlestongirl said...

I am ready, Lovethescents, but I get in enough trouble here. :)

Charlestongirl said...

I remember that shade, So! It was gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marcia!

Nothing! These don't smell of perfume. That would have turned me off the moment I took the shrinkwrap off the first one.

Maybe he got the message?

I do have a tiny bit of congestion from summer pollen, but I'm still extremely sensitive to obnoxiously scented lipsticks. :) Before I wrote this comment, I went to the bathroom and took a deep breath of one of them.

Charlestongirl said...

Mama Val, I'm not sure yet, but that one and Indian Rose are vying for my attention as the take-along shade.

Charlestongirl said...

Marcia, I just went and had another huge whiff. It has a slight scent, like most lipsticks. It's not like smelling air. The scent is totally unobtrusive to me. See what you think.

We all have different sensitivities. It's nothing like the Burberry stink bombs.

Charlestongirl said...

Update: These tubes are supposed to be dark brown, but in just about every light inside and outside my house, they look black.

I finally saw one as extremely dark brown. It was in the bathroom, and I saw it from a distance of about six feet away. It looked very, extremely dark brown.

Crystal said...

I picked up TF's #17 Violet Fatale today at Tysons. I got Jo Malone Wild Bluebell and one of the LMDB Bordeaux sets too. You are my favorite enabler and Kathy is the best:)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Crystal!

Kathy reminds me of those old-time sales folks who wanted to ensure you left the store delighted. They knew shopping should be a treat.

Hope you enjoy it! That's the shade we picked out for Diana in Jo Malone.

Anonymous said...

Do these still have phthalates in them?

Charlestongirl said...

Doesn't look like it, unless one is cleverly disguised in the ingredients. :)