- Bordeaux - the shade of wine and roses (look for handbags and footwear in shades of cabernet and merlot)
- Lady Chic - ensemble dressing (look for matching dresses and jackets), dresses with fluidity, beautiful blouses, both cigarette and wide trousers
- Colorblocking - layering, contrasting colors, even multi-toned shoes
- Leather - everywhere
- Subtle Shimmer
- Ken Downing's own Bordeaux Collection for Le Métier de Beauté
- Pumps (in all heel heights)
- Hand-held Handbags - elegance, polish, and polite spirit
- Bold Gold - the perfect decoration for saturated color - Downing says, "More is more and less is a bore."
Bold Gold? Fashion jewelry is back in style. Could it be that the price of gold has finally made what we used to call costume jewelry the "it" accessory? I'm a "gold snob," but I'd wear this gold-plated Golden Petal Necklace by Milly in a heartbeat! Priced at $220, it's accessible.
Cuffs continue to be very popular, and I'm coveting the gold ones. Neiman Marcus will have a gorgeous gift with purchase at the Trend Event from August 18 to 21. You'll receive the Neiman Marcus-exclusive Roxanne Assoulin for Lee Angel cuff, shown at left, when you spend $350 or more on regular-priced women's apparel, accessories, shoes, handbags, or jewelry. It's the perfect time to update your wardrobe.
You can shimmer with makeup or add an accessory - even though some of the subtly shimmering dresses for the season are extraordinary. I was drawn to this metallic Roberto Cavalli silk Leopard-Print Stole ($355), which brings on-trend sheen - and the collection's signature leopard print - to your look, ideal for topping casual T-shirts, your little black dress, and cocktail dresses alike. It's a wardrobe changer.
I've always been a shoe lover, and some of the latest shoes and boots we saw were stunning. Unfortunately, I can't walk in spike heels anymore (not that I ever wore the tallest of the tall). They even have trendy shoes for me!
I'll be scouting the trends starting Thursday at Neiman Marcus. I'll be taking a close look at stylist, editor, and supernova Rachel Zoe's collection. A fellow Virgo, she has designed a fabulous, glamorous collection of contemporary apparel, shoes, and bags, launching at Neiman Marcus.
Many thanks to our friends at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria for their gracious hospitality on Saturday. I left ready for fall and all of the latest fashions, with such an elegant return to the Lady Chic look I love.
The fall events at every Neiman Marcus store will showcase the latest looks. Check with your favorite store for a list of events, and don't forget Fashion Night Out and Beauty Week. All the stores will be hopping on September 8.
Photos courtesy of Neiman Marcus, Neiman Marcus Blog, and Le Métier de Beauté