Friday, August 19, 2011

The Friday Forum - August 19

The Chantecaille fall collection has launched at Chantecaille's Web site, but I'll bet you didn't know that starting next Tuesday, August 23, Chantecaille will be offering the gift with purchase shown above at Chantecaille.com (with a minimum purchase of $200). The beautiful makeup bag is stocked with deluxe samples of Rice and Geranium Foaming Cleanser, Jasmine and Lily Healing Mask, the gorgeous Pelates fragrance, and a mini Elation Brilliant Lip Gloss. Wouldn't next week be the perfect time to pick up your fall makeup from Chantecaille? With the exquisite New Classic Palette, Gel Liner Pencils, new Lip Chics, and the innovative Faux Cils Longest Lash Mascara available, I know you'll develop the I-wants as quickly as I did. Why not enjoy a little lagniappe too?

The third weekend in August is always an exciting time for me. That's when the International Gem and Jewelry Show comes to Chantilly at the Dulles Expo Center. The huge hall will be filled with vendors later today, selling everything from fragrances (yes, oddly) and knock-offs to the best in fashion jewelry and the finest of fine jewelry. While the August show is never as exciting as the December one, I always find something I can't live without. Later today, I'll be shopping for the very trends we saw at Neiman Marcus last weekend, but at wholesale prices. Anyone can go (you don't have to be a dealer), so if you live in the DC area, make sure to pop over. It's always worth the trip. I'm going to try to constrain my spending very carefully.

Before I visit the jewelry show, I'm going over to Saks Chevy Chase to pick up the Chanel No. 19 Poudre that Loyd Cassler rang for me earlier this week. It launches today, August 19, Coco Chanel's birthday. She was born in 1883, and I think it's safe to say her impact on fashion and beauty was remarkable. I've tested No. 19 Poudre several times, and I'm excited to be the proud owner of, as one of my fragrance expert friends says, a full bottle. Little did I know that collectives of like-minded souls buy and split bottles of new fragrances - until I met the wizard who can find anything.

I tweeted this week that anyone interested in Le Métier de Beauté's new skin care should pre-order it soon. It launches Monday. I think the demand for the initial shipments will quickly overwhelm the stock. If you don't have a favorite LMdB counter, please call either one of my two friends - either will take good care of you. Dustin Lujan is at LMdB at Bergdorf Goodman in New York. Kathy Shoreman at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria told me to go ahead and put her cell phone number on the blog (she may regret that once the heavy-breathing calls start). It's 571-212-8399.

It's time for The Friday Forum, our open chat. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers have moved on.

The giveaway contest for the new Fall 2011 Clé de Peau Beauté Extra Rich Lipstick in R7 ends tomorrow, August 20 at midnight. It's a gorgeous lipstick, inside and out.

Photo courtesy of Chantecaille

13 comments:

Eileen said...

Lagniappe, now there's a beautiful and charming old Southern tradition if ever there was one! When I was very little, my grandmother would sometimes go to a local Asian grocery called Sumi's. When leaving, Sumi would always add some small token to her bag and say, "For inspiration." Sometimes this small token was a piece of fruit, sometimes a bundle of herbs, sometimes it was something my grandmother had never seen before! My grandmother would just shake her head and say, "Sumi, I can see you're going to have to come to lunch so we can talk about this one!" Sumi's lagniappe started a friendship that lasted
more than 30 years. Two women from very different worlds, both with full hearts and the willingness to share with others--such is generosity. And the power of lagniappe :-)

The jewelry show--lucky you! I've never been to one of the big ones, but I understand they're a lot of fun and that there are some outstanding pieces to be seen. Perhaps you'll find that statement cuff or necklace that's de rigueur right now.

On the beauty front, I must admit I'm more interested in saving my money for the holiday collections than purchasing anything else for fall. I'm particularly intrigued by the new LE holiday highlighters/finishing powders that will be coming out: Chanel's Lumière Sculptée highlighting powder, Chantecaille's Poudre de Perle in South Sea Pearl, and Guerlain's Météorites Perles from the Vol de Nuit collection. I'm sure there will also be plenty more revealed as the time draws closer. I'm hoping that the holiday collections are going to be prettier than the fall ones--at least, from my perspective. I did buy a few things that will resonate well with autumn, but basically I'm tweaking last year rather than getting much that is new this year. Oh well, we can't all be pleased all the time.

A wonderful and beautiful weekend to one and all!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

I learned the term in Louisiana, where it's practiced today. Very friendly! You just reminded me of some dear friends; I should try to catch up with them this weekend.

I was looking at photos of the Chanel's Lumière Sculptée holiday highlighter again today. Hope it's as gorgeous as it looks! I am also looking forward to all the late fall/holiday collections, which will arrive, for the most part, in October. It's going to be a great season!

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl! I'm not sure if I understand lagniappe. I have a Paul Prud'homme cookbook and I believe it's a recipe as well? I think I'm a little confused, as usual :-)

Yes, as Eileen said, that jewelery show sounds amazing. So much fun just trying things on, even if you aren't going to buy them.

I didn't purchase anything this week in terms of makeup, but I did receive a bunch of artisanal soaps for perfumer Ane Walsh in Brazil. They are exotic and creamy little bars, straight from the Amazon. So exciting!

I'm still dreaming about that Peau Vierge I tried at Le Metier. I must find something that gives my skin that sheer bit of coverage and glow, minus the anti-aging, $120 price point :-) Any ideas??

Ooooh, on the fumie front, I finally got Serge's Vitriol d'Oeillet. I'm madly in love. I'm usually not a carnation fan as I find it to be a little too old-fashioned, much like in a Caron type of way, if you catch my drift, but this is a candied, fizzy dream. Aaaaaaahhhhh.

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents, are you kidding, candied, fizzy...that is too tempting.

Lagniappe is usually a small "something extra" gift. It's usually a little something a store gives you with a purchase (Eileen's story was so sweet), or it could be a gift you aren't expecting. My friends in Abbeyville, Louisiana always sent me home with lagniappe. I should have been providing the gift after staying with them!

The soaps sound amazingly nice!

I really don't have a product that rivals Peau Vierge because of its anti-aging benefits. However, there are a lot of nice, glowy, sheer moisturizers. I'll put some suggestions in the comments this weekend.

lovethescents said...

Okay, Charlestongirl, I'll send you a sample of Vitriol. You must try it!

Thank you so much for any suggestions, I appreciate your advice so much!

Charlestongirl said...

Oh Lovethescents,

I almost want to say, no! I have so much on my I-want list, I may have to work 24 hours/day.

ailurophileNZ said...

On the beauty front I managed to remove a couple of things off my 'want really badly' list, Estee Lauder's cream shadows (oh they just don't work in me, I turn into a glitter disco ball!) and Chanel's joues contraste in rose écrin. Oh it looked beautiful in everyone else's swatches, but it just didn't show up on my skin. I didn't go without though, I got one in pink explosion instead, so perhaps I do just need a brighter pink blush.

The real find at Chanel was something that has been so hard to find, almost holy grail - a pigmented not too red, not to brown gloss. I just wanted something for those days when I want some colour but can't quite do a full on red lip. Sitting unhearlded in the testers was a Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in Impertinence (what a great name!) It is wonderful, somewhere between red and brown, not sheer but not opaque, glossy but not wet glossy and long-wearing (with all those criteria perhaps it is no surprise that I couldn't find it!) The moment it was one of those rare moments when both you and the SA just know that it is right! I just love it and it is already living in my purse. I will definitely go back to look at more of the range.

I managed all that despite having the worse snow in 50 years here in NZ (well apart from the snow we had 2 weeks ago!) So overall an exciting week. How will this week live up?

Charlestongirl said...

Oh my, AilurophileNZ! Snow? I always forget that our seasons are switched. I can't even think about snow without shuddering.

I like Impertinence. It's a color that can be more brown on some and more rosy on others, depending on their own lip color. Isn't it a blast to find that special color that just works?

Rose Écrin looks good on me, but my face is very light. The one that doesn't work as a blush on me is Pink Cloud. It's just too light, and I have many light pink Armani face powders that are the same color. So, if you skin is darker than mine, I can see how you might find Rose Écrin too light. The nice thing about those Chanel blushes is that there are always colors that will work - even if they aren't the newest.

Hope you see spring thaw soon!

Unknown said...

Charlestongirl, be sure to post what you get at the jewelry show! I've been using Chanel's Mirifique Long Wear eye shadow all week - I think it's has been the sleeper in the collection. I love the little brush that came with it. It makes application so easy. No time to shop this week, but I'm looking forward to examining those Chantecaille gel liner pencils.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ava, I will tweet when they arrive at NM.

I didn't buy anything. I wanted about $60,000 worth of Andrew Sarosi's jewelry, but decided I really needed to continue to pay my mortgage. :)

Eileen said...

Hi Ava,

Isn't Mirifique marvelous? I'm sure Chanel never imagined it would have such star power. When I first saw it blended out, I wasn't very impressed with it's rather pedestrian appearance. It wasn't until I experienced it as a liner that I discovered the beauty of this gem. The incredibly charming Chanel MA at our local Nordstrom got me in her chair and applied it in such a way (pushed into the upper and lower lash line) that convinced me it was the most stunning liner I and seen in a long time. The multi-colored sparkle and the light that it brings to the eyes was second to none. It was twinkle, twinkle little star without being silly or absurd on this old broad! ;-)

Hi Charlestongirl,

Sorry to hear you didn't find anything at the jewelry show--at least nothing that wouldn't break the bank! I know that feeling all too well. As we get older, though, logic always seems to prevail--or at least it does most of the time :-) I succumbed to a few of those "peacock" bracelets that Alexis Bittar designed for fall. I don't wear a lot of costume jewelry, but these looked fun and I loved the combination of classic and trendy colors in them. They'll provide a nice pop of color when worn with neutral slacks and sweater. I was looking at my make-up and decided I could use the peacock shades from my Armani Femme Bleu spring palette but work them with a soft gold rather than the icy silver that is part of the original palette. I best be careful or I might be carted off to the zoo!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, that was my pre-bed laugh! I want to figure out how to wear the hawk feather one left me. It's so pretty. I don't plan on feather extensions! Never fear.

I looked online today for an exquisite Bordeaux bag. I looked at the jewelry show for a faux croc one. No luck so far. That Gucci spoiled me.

Glad you and Ava could talk shop!

Unknown said...

Charlestongirl, haven't you tried Mirifique as a liner? I'd love to try it on you! If you think it's too dark, we could try the Illusoire, the maroonish color. With your long eyelashes, you could wear a winged liner easily.