Monday, August 29, 2011

Elie Saab Le Parfum Eau de Parfum

Designer fragrances often come with a fantasy, and Elie Saab Le Parfum Eau de Parfum ($90 to $120) offers one that's immensely appealing. Who wouldn't love the photo of Anja Rubik, a wind-bown urban princess wearing a gorgeous gown designed by Elie Saab?

As a rule, my reaction to "just another department store fragrance" would be a huge yawn. Lately, though, I've discovered that a few of them are glorious. I had a "love at first whiff" reaction to Elie Saab Le Parfum, and my love has grown in the couple of weeks I've had it. Elie Saab's intent is to glorify women, to inject beauty into women's lives. Even if we don't have the means to purchase his glorious haute couture, his first fragrance is accessible.

Elie Saab Le Parfum is housed in a heavy glass bottle that's as exquisite as Elie Saab's evening gowns. Tasteful, elegant, and chic, the bottle was created by Sylvie de France. It conveys a resolutely modern beauty.

The fragrance was created for Elie Saab by the masterful perfumer Francis Kurkdjian, who describes the fragrance as a light, woody floral. Orange blossom provides the centerpiece, tempered by cedarwood, which gives it a lovely softness. There are two jasmine absolutes among the notes: jasmine sambac and jasmine grandiflorum. They add a glorious depth to the orange blossoms. A white honey rose completes the floral design. The cedarwood heart is blended with patchouli, which absolutely stunned me. As a rule, I flee from patchouli. There are no sharp edges in this one. I'm stunned. I think I finally found the patchouli that appeals to fragrance mavens.

A video at this link describes the fragrance as an "ode to light," to a sun that's almost white in its gold brilliance - an intensely feminine, modern, and radiant fragrance. On my skin, it's a bright, fresh floral. It's as soft as a summer garden, yielding its scents to a light breeze that wafts a floral bounty through my windows. Elie Saab Le Parfum reminds me of the intoxicating scent of the fragrant hostas that I planted against my screened porch. When they bloom, it's hard to leave the porch as their white flower scent comes my way.

I knew when I finished this feature that The Non-Blonde was publishing her impressions last night. I refrained from reading Gaia's feature until I finished writing mine. Her always-extraordinary fragrance descriptions are unforgettable. You must read her review. We are both enjoying Elie Saab - for many of the same reasons. I think you will too.

I purchased my bottle at Neiman Marcus. I know it's available at Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Photos courtesy of Elie Saab

14 comments:

Harshleen@BeautyTidbits said...

It sounds lovely....WANT it! Thx for your review.

Eileen said...

This delightful, if unoriginal, fragrance is certainly getting a lot of positive buzz and so it should. I know there are fragrance élitists who would disagree, but I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with creating a gorgeous fragrance for the masses. It means the masses will smell one heck of a lot better! LOL.

The reason I say this delightful summer bouquet is unoriginal is because there is something very familiar about it. (And no, I'm not referring to Alien as mentioned on Gaia's blog.) When I first spritzed Elie Saab, I had the immediate sensation that this was something I had worn many years ago. Not being a perfume connoisseur, I couldn't even begin to tell you why it seemed so familiar to me, but it did. That's not a criticism, though, as the olfactory memory this particular floral mélange evoked was very positive. And so, I sprayed my wrist, deeply inhaled, and plunked down my Nordies card. The SA was a bit aghast that I didn't wait for the scent to develop or any of the other things you're supposed to do when testing a new fragrance, but I immediately bought a bottle because its warm, summery bouquet tinged with a bit of honey made me smile and transported me to a long forgotten garden party on a sultry summer's eve over forty years ago. I figured that was reason enough to own it.

We still have many a warm day and night ahead of us here in SoCal, so I know it will be worn with pleasure and fond memories until the temps begin to cool. Elie Saab's fragrance really is a delight and the ad says it all. It is a warm, sensual yet casual breath of fresh air.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Harshleen!

I really love it. It's the "perfect" floral for everyday wear.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

Did you ever figure out its predecessor? It does smell "familiar," but I'm not sure I have a fragrance exactly like it. :)

Yep - a warm summer garden on my body. I'm enjoying it!

peniam said...

Anja is gorgeous... I need to find the fragrance and check it out!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Peniam!

She is gorgeous and looks stunning in the ad! The fragrance ought to be easy to find. Acquiring her looks may take some work. :)

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I haven't figured it out yet, but when I meet a few of my gal pals for lunch in a couple of weeks to do the Neiman's beauty event, I though I'd spritz and ask if they recognized it. They're oldies but goodies like me :-) In the meantime, I'm really loving it. It's just downright pretty without being cloying. I've gotten a lot of, "Mmmmm . . .you smell good." reaction to it.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

I talked to Kathy at NM today, and she told me the whole beauty team was wearing it today. They all love it. Each one of them had independently spritzed with it when they came into work.

I know it smells familiar and comfy, and I'm certainly an oldie, but I don't remember having a scent in my collection that's exactly like it. I think it may be that "pretty floral thing" it shares with some other favorites.

lovethescents said...

I still haven't tried this one. I'm waiting for a sample from a fumie friend, but I think I'll be waiting a few weeks...

It sounds so lovely. I look forward to smelling if it's familiar to me too :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

It's really pretty. Maybe you can tell us what other fragrances are similar!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me a bit of Gio de Giorgio Armani (gold in color, from around 1997) I really like it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous!

Is it the scent that reminds you of the Armani? Or the color? To my nose, they are quite different. :) As long as you like it, that's all that really matters, though.

MaKo said...

I LOOOOVE... I Loooovvveee ittt!!! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Me too, MaKo! It made many end-of-year picks as one of the year's best new fragrances.