Monday, August 15, 2011

Le Métier de Beauté's New Skin Care - Part 1 of a Series

On Saturday at Neiman Marcus, Lisa Lingis (our regional Le Métier de Beauté representative) gave us an up close and personal look at Le Métier de Beauté's new skin care, billed as "the most scientifically advanced and efficacious technology delivering the most innovative anti-aging moisturizing and hydrating ingredients 24 times deeper into the skin." Using the company's patented Syntoc Actif Delivery System, originally used in the Peau Vierge Anti-Aging Treatment Fluid everyone loves, LMdB set out to create specifically targeted ingredient complexes to address the most visible anti-aging issues, including wrinkles, elasticity, moisture, and hydration.

After years of research, LMdB's chemists developed three uniquely formulated complexes to address the problems that come with aging.
  • Syntoc Actif Power 4 Anti-Aging Complexe
  • Syntoc Actif Moisture Rich Complexe
  • Syntoc Actif Hydration+ Complexe
LMdB's exclusive and patented Syntoc Actif Delivery System, which carries the ingredients through the dermis, is the most effective delivery system available without a prescription today. Because the ingredients are delivered 24 times deeper into the skin through this unique delivery system, the products are safer and more effective than "comparable products on the market today."

There are six uniquely formulated products in the Peau Vierge Treatment Collection. All of them use the Syntoc Actif Delivery System.

Rejuvenating Anti-Aging Night Crème with Syntoc Actif + Power4 Anti-Aging Complexe ($350) is one of the products I've had the privilege to try. I was given a tiny sample jar at Neiman Marcus. The emollient and potent night treatment effectively repairs, rebuilds, and transforms the skin while the body is most receptive - at rest. The Syntoc Actif + Power4 Anti-Aging Complexe has these featured ingredients.
  • Retinol (0.5%) is the #1 anti-aging powerhouse, known to smooth and plump wrinkles, stimulate collagen rejuvenation, and restore the skin's elasticity.
  • Coenzyme Q10 (0.1%) reduces the depth of wrinkles and protects against photo-aging.
  • L-Carnosine (1%) prevents and reverses the signs of aging by preventing keratin degradation, which causes rough, dry skin.
  • SNAP 8 (0.0025%) is an anti-aging "power peptide" that reduces the depth of wrinkles caused by expression muscles, especially on the forehead and around the eyes - like a topical Botox.
The Night Crème is potent and should only be used 2-3 times/week, alternating or in conjunction with the Replenishing Daily Solution. I am extremely sensitive to retinol, so I fully expected to burn then peel after trying the Night Crème - the things I do to test beauty products! Many years ago, my dermatologist, who had worked with me as I tried every new retinol product on the market, hoping for one to which I might become tolerant, finally told me to give up. He said my skin couldn't withstand any concentration of retinol. Even years later, I've found that cosmetic products from well-regarded companies will burn my skin if they contain retinol or any vitamin A derivative.

LMdB's new Night Crème was a miracle. I had no adverse side effects - none! I've used it for two weeks, once every three days, and my skin looks great. There really is something to the delivery system, which carries the retinol beneath the epidermis (outermost layer of the skin) deep into the dermis to provide the following benefits: repair and reverse the signs of aging, erase fine lines and wrinkles, shrink pore size, reduce redness through anti-inflammatory properties, and encourage natural skin repair. It's clear to me that LMdB's delivery system is carrying the retinol past my own layers of sensitivity.

Revitalizing Anti-Aging Day Crème with Syntoc Actif + Power4 Anti-Aging Complexe ($285) is a potent, proprietary blend of functional anti-aging actives. Harnessing the power of Syntoc Actif, this lightweight emulsion absorbs quickly, dramatically slows the formation of expression lines, and reverses sun damage while replenishing hydration, repairing and improving texture, firming sagging skin, and rejuvenating overall tone and texture. It also contains SNAP 8 (0.005%), retinol (0.05%), coenzyne Q10 (0.05%), and l-carnosine (0.1%) - the same magnificent ingredients in the Night Crème, but at lower concentrations. I had the privilege of trying the Day Crème for a few days. I liked it!

Replenishing Daily Solution with Syntoc Actif + Moisture Rich Complexe ($225) is a lightweight, emollient, SPF 30 formula that conditions and moisturizes while it nourishes, detoxifies the dermis, and helps replenish the lipid barrier, normalizing skin moisture to provide suppleness. It has the same effective delivery system, but offers these natural moisturizing and protective ingredients.
  • Vitamin E, Aloe, Sodium PCA, and Sodium Hyaluronate (nature's sponge) for hydration and softening
  • Centella Asiatica and Echniacea for firming
  • Squalene, Shea Butter, Avocado, Hazlenut and Jojoba Oils, rich in vitamins to add emolliency and lubrication
  • Cucumber Oil, a rich source of vitamin C
The Replenishing Daily Solution can be used once or twice a day - ideally before your Day Crème or Night Crème.

Revive Eye Concentrate with with Syntoc Actif + HydrationPlus Complexe ($175) is an innovative eye treatment that repairs and plumps the delicate skin around the eyes. Using the same exclusive Syntoc Actif delivery system, it offers these ingredients.
  • Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone, which decreases capillary permeability to reduce edema (water retention); used in some effective eye creams I know
  • Dipeptide (not sure which one) to improve lymphatic circulation to further reduce edema
  • Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide, not sure if it's 3 or 7, but a regenerating peptide to improve elasticity and strengthen the skin around the eyes; can slow or inhibit glycation and inflammatory damage
I can't wait to get my hands on it! I have found eye creams with peptides to be enormously effective, and I'm a proponent of anti-glycation products. The Eye Concentrate should be used once or twice a day. I'll be using it twice.

There's a cleanser, Daily Renew Cleanser with VitaC Complexe ($50), that is formulated with rounded (non-damaging) scrub grains to remove deeply set impurities in one step. Daily Renew Cleanser promises to gently cleanse and exfoliate the skin and remove makeup easily, renewing the skin for a radiant glow.

Daily Refresh Toner with Rebalancing Complexe ($50) is designed to restore, rebalance, and recondition the skin, leaving it soft, smoothed, and perfectly prepared for the healing treatments that follow. The hydrating ingredients should give you a youthful look.
  • Hemolymph Extract is a conditioning agent that LMdB says pulls oxygen into the skin from the environment.
  • Peppermint, Cinnamon, Thyme, and Geranium Oils mildly stimulate with a gentle warming effect.
  • Cypress Oil mildly stimulates and cleanses.
  • Anise Oil is used for its cleansing and warming effect on the skin.
  • Vitamins E, A, and B condition and protect the skin.
I've got to smell this one. I have fragrance aversions to cinnamon and anise, so I'll need to try before I can jump onboard.

There you have the basics. I am extremely excited about this launch. I have much more to tell you, but it will have to wait for another day. Le Métier de Beauté's new skin care will be available at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman this month.

Photo at top by Best Things in Beauty, taken at Saturday's event; other photos courtesy of the U.S. government and Wikipedia

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Oy. thanks, Charlestongirl. Will this line be available at other stores?

Unknown said...

I meant the skincare line!

Charlestongirl said...

It should be available at NM next week. I thought BG would have it today, but it may also be next week for them.

I don't know about other stores, since we don't have other stores here that carry the line in-store. :)

Unknown said...

Nordstrom Pentagon City carries LMdB. I can just swing by after work. :)

Clarisse said...

These products are very attractive: they sound so elaborate and efficient! Fantastic to carry the ingredients through the dermis: I had read that up to now that wasn't possible...great new perspectives for me/us baby-boomers:-)))

Charlestongirl said...

Don't go today, Ava. It isn't likely it will be available there.

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, it is a matter of some debate about cosmetic products carrying products into the dermis. However, we all know that some of the best ones do.

I quiz every skin care company about it, and the best answer I ever got was from iS Clinical. They said that their products are not picked up into the blood stream, and that's what makes the difference between their cosmeceuticals and regulated drugs.

Most companies just tell me something like, "We work with the FDA."

bettythompson said...

I was told only Bergdorfs and Neimans will have the skin care. Not nordstroms. Great piece I was unsure when I heard about it now Im sold. Thank you! Who should I order from?

Charlestongirl said...

Betty,

I will always recommend my friend, Kathy Shoreman at Neiman Marcus. She takes amazing care of BTiB readers.

703-761-1600, extension 3282

:)

Charlestongirl said...

Oh and, Betty, she said I could put her cell phone number up in case you can't reach Kathy at that number.

571-212-8399

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, Betty is correct. Only at NM and BG. Call Kathy.

lisaroberts said...

Charleston girl - I especially enjoy your skin care reviews. Can you tell us your current regiment? Also, how do you incorporate your "standards" when testing out something new? Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, that will take me about an hour (or more) to write up! I promise I will, but not tonight. :)

I have some constants in my routine, which I cannot be without, and I am always testing new things. I'd be glad to share my criteria, but they differ from product type to type.

Eileen said...

IS did not accurately explain the difference between a cosmeceutical and a drug. In fact, their explanation is misleading. Surely they know that, legally speaking, there is actually no such thing as a cosmeceutical. That term was coined by Dr. Kligman in the 1980's when he discovered that topically applied retinoic acid could be used as an anti-wrinkle treatment (cosmetic) as well as an acne treatment (medical).

According to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), drugs are those products that cure, treat, mitigate or prevent disease or that affect the structure or function of the human body. While drugs are subject to an intensive review and approval process by the FDA, cosmetics are not. Furthermore, according to the FDA, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act does not recognize any such category as "cosmeceuticals." A product can be a drug, a cosmetic, or a combination of both (as in fluoride toothpaste), but the term "cosmeceutical" has no meaning under the law.

There are some excellent articles to be found on-line that simply--and accurately--explain the difference between cosmetics, drugs, and what we commonly refer to as cosmeceuticals.

Excuse this rant, but I am insulted beyond belief by the way in which we are regarded by some cosmetic companies. Do they really think we are that stupid? Obviously they do!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

You've got to admit the iS Clinical guy tried. Many companies give me really lame answers. I make it clear when I ask the question that I understand the limits of the FDA's authority. So, they don't need to start with the authorities the FDA DOES have (labeling, branding claims, and the like). As many know by now, the FDA recently clamped down on sunscreens and their broad-spectrum claims, which reminds me, I promised to share AVEENO's response on sunscreen labeling. I got it.

Because Congress would rather have political brawls than deal with governance, consumers are left to fend for themselves in determining the effectiveness of what I prefer to call cosmeceuticals...because they are more effective than, say, Ponds Cold Cream, still a popular favorite, and they make claims that make them sound like drugs for the skin.

There are, as you know, many who have argued that today's skin care technology deserves a second look. Is it so good that consumers deserve a pre-market approval process? We won't know because the FDA can only approve a limited number of substance types. Of the 11% they have studied, only nine ingredients have been deemed unsafe. What about effectiveness, though? Drug companies must demonstrate, often in ridiculous detail, that their products work as intended. Cosmetics companies don't have to do that.

I am not suggesting that LMdB or any of my favorite companies are making unsafe products, or that their claims are inaccurate. Many fine companies have discussed their testing processes with me, and they actually sought FDA concurrence. Even fine companies have run afoul of the sunscreen regs.

I continue to believe that the claims made by some, not all, companies for the effectiveness of skin care are hard for consumers to evaluate. How, for example, does one product work more effectively than another in delivering its ingredients to the cells that are chemically affected to the extent that aging's effects are reversed or stalled? When does that mechanism of action make a product cross over from cosmetic to drug? Will the FDA ever take a look at anti-aging products and determine if the labeling is accurate?

Probably not in my lifetime. So, I continue to ask. The best companies try to answer. You can bet if iS Clinical's excellent products entered the blood stream in any significant concentration, the FDA would take notice. At least we could hope. :)

In the meantime, consumers should look to the research behind skin care (if they care) and determine for themselves whether it's likely to be accurate. We know that LMdB's claims for retinol are true. It's been studied extensively. I can tell you now that I've tried it that it was the first retinol product I have ever used that didn't burn my skin. Pretty cool!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

Oh, and yes, many of them think we are stupid. I'd prefer the word "gullible." Many of us look for miracle products after we see the first wrinkle. :)

Clarisse said...

Thank you Charlestongirl and Eileen for your answer/debate! It sure is very difficult to measure the efficiency of products which all promise "the moon" and yes, we want to believe it's true!....Eventually, we have to test by ourselves or believe reliable friends...That's why your blog is so precious for your readers:-)
By the way, like Lisa, I'd love to read about your routine coupled with tests (what you never, ever give up even when trying something new: I know that I cannot do without Shiseido Sérum Benefiance for instance, always have to buy a new bottle, it's a must for me!)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

Shiseido makes wonderful products. I don't think they get the love they deserve here in the U.S.

I will write that feature about my skin care, but it must wait for the gorgeous new makeup. We're being treated with a feast of beautiful colors right now.

Anonymous said...

Le mettiers delivery system is the real deal. It was developed by an australian biotech (who name the delivery mechanism tpm, total penetration matrix).

If you were in any doubt that this delivers actives through the dermis I would like to point out that the technology has actually been developed with the aim of delivering drugs and large molecules through the skin. This company is currently developing commercial applications that use tpm to deliver ophoids, insulin and other large molecules directly to where they are needed via a patch system.

The fact that the tech can be used in cosmetics is just an added bonus - give it a few years and you will see it used everywhere as it really does work. Le mettier customers are fortunate indeed to get to experience it first

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous!

Thanks for contributing that information! I did know the technology was used by drug manufacturers, but I was not previously aware (before I met LMdB PV) that it was being used by cosmetic companies. Much appreciated!

Unknown said...

Anonymous is correct. I discovered this when trying to find skin care similar to the Peau Vierge several months ago. There is an Australian skin care line from the pharmaceutical company but unfortunately they do not ship outside Australia. :-(

GC said...

Yes the original company produces skin care products in Australia however the products developed in conjunction with LMDB are more top shelf, super-charged products. These LMDB anti-aging products will knock you off your feet, and the problem you may have is actually getting your hands on them.

Charlestongirl said...

The architects of the delivery system, licensed exclusively by LMdB in the U.S. and Europe, are a biotech company in Australia.

The LMdB skin care launches Monday, and savvy shoppers will have no trouble getting your hands on the items. Just call your fave Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf Goodman and pre-order now, my friends!

I talked to Dustin Lujan at BG yesterday. He will take good care of you. So will Kathy Shoreman at NM Tysons. If you want to call her, I have her cell number memorized. It's 571-212-8399.

Charlestongirl said...

One more thing...LMdB has its own research and development team. The Australian company developed the delivery system only. LMdB developed these products carefully, selecting the ingredients to offer advanced anti-aging effectiveness.

I was told an interesting story about one of the chemists who discovered one of the mixes in developing a skin care remedy for a family member who had several skin care problems. Was fascinating!

GC said...

Very clever CharlstonGirl.
Pre-order will be the way to go.
I do think this will move very quickly off the shelves.
Also you are quite correct about the development of the products.
The team at LMdb themselves have taken anti-aging products to a new level with the help of the new revolutionary delivery system, which by the way is not in any other cosmetic product on the market in the USA.
Can't wait to hear the feedback from your followers.
I'd be surprised if they're we're any disappointed customers. :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic. I was fascinated to read about your retinol problem and your reaction to the night cream. This really does suggest that their vehicle system is working beautifully. The Syntoc system was something that fascinated me about PV and having had success with it, I'm even more intrigued by the skincare line. I really look forward to hearing what you think to the eye cream.
Jane x

Jannah Hagens said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very useful information and I care for such information. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Nelson Batista said...

My Friends you can call at Bergdorf Goodman and we will ship you the products, just call at the Le Metier de Beaute counter (212) 872-8612 Just ask for Nelson

Anonymous said...

Nelson at Bergdorf's is fantastic. He's a perfectionist in the best possible way. Gave me a great makeover with the Silk Road kaleidoscope - I got looks all the way home.

Anonymous said...

Have you done part 2 yet? I can't wait to here how you are liking the products now. Thanks!!