Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bobbi Brown Kohl Cake Liner

I went to Nordstrom to get help from Diron Carr, Bobbi Brown counter manager. I couldn't decide whether to purchase Bobbi Brown's new Kohl Eyeliner Pencil or her Kohl Cake Liner ($22). They are both limited editions, but I only wanted one. How many black eyeliners can I use?

Kohl Cake Liner was inspired by old-school cake eyeliner. This rich powder formula can be applied dry or damp to create different takes on the smoky eye. Intensely pigmented and long-lasting, it goes on silky-smooth without flaking. Created just for Bobbi's Choose Your Black Collection, this limited-edition shade is yet another way to create dark and sexy eyes - or in my case, perfectly office-friendly eyes.

I asked Diron which of the two new liners he preferred. I wasn't at all surprised when he recommended the cake liner. It's a makeup artist's dream. I use it dry, and it provides a beautiful charcoal line that's perfect for a fair-skinned blonde. Dampen your brush, and you can create a intense black line. It's your choice.

I wondered where that little clear plastic protector went. If you look at my photo directly above, you can see that it's stuck to the mirror in the little compact.

Kohl Cake Liner can be used wet or dry. For a dry application, use the Smokey Eye Liner Brush (sold separately). Apply along the upper or lower lash lines for a beautiful, smoky look. For a wet application, use a damp Eye Liner Brush, Eye Definer Brush, or Cream Shadow Brush. Apply all over the eyelid as eye shadow or just along the lash line. I used one of Bobbi's liner brushes to apply the liner to my arm, drawing a thick line to show you the color when applied dry. I took my photo in afternoon sun.

As you can see, this liner when used dry is a fabulous charcoal grey liner for palefaces like me. I drew a thick lines at the top of my arm and a thinner line below for this photo, but you can draw a very thin line at the base of your lashes (as I like to do) very easily with this liner. You can also use it dry on the lower lash line for a bit of definition. The control is in your hands.

I didn't have time to take photos of a damp (wet) application, but I assure you the color intensifies depending on how much water you use. This liner gives you choices. I love it. Diron was right. Bobbi Brown's Kohl Cake Liner is a keeper. Even though the compact is relatively small, this liner will last forever. It's a great buy.

You can find it wherever you buy Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. I purchased mine at Nordstrom

Photo at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

11 comments:

grlnxdor said...

This is slightly off topic, but Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee has announced that Nordstrom will be opening a store there in the fall of 2015! It will be the only Nordstrom in the entire State of Wisconsin as far as I know. I hope I live long enough to visit it!

BooBooNinja said...

Wow. I saw the display for this today, but didn't realize it was LE. I ended up getting a bronzer instead, my first BB product. :)

Debo said...

I bought it on a whim and must say I love it! Surprisingly easy to use, but I haven't tried it with a wet brush, lol!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Grlnxdor!

It was so exciting when we got our first Nordstrom. I know you will love it.

Charlestongirl said...

First BB, BooBoo? Get back there and choose a second! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Debo, if you do, you'll get more intense color, but with the ease of application you had when you used it dry. Very nice. It's it funny how everything comes full circle?

Evelyn said...

hehehe I like the idea of it but I went for the kohl pencil instead to make my life easier. It is a beautiful pencil too!

bisbee said...

Have it and love it. Actually...I haven't used any other black liner since I got it! I haven't even been using shadow - just this liner (using a damp brush - not wet) to more or less tight-line upper and lower. Then I'm using the Chantecaille Hematite Gel Pencil liner along the lower lash line for a bit more definition, mascara, and I'm done!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn,

It is a nice pencil. That's why I had to throw in the towel and let Diron decide for me. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bisbee,

Sounds nice! Why not add a brightening shadow - not colored really, just brightening? Takes two fast swipes to add it to your lovely routine.

Soni said...

I am SO torn whether to get this or not. Quick question for those who own it...is it transfer resistant for those of us with hooded eyes? (aka droopy lids)

I want it SOOOO bad!!!