Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NARS Satellite of Love Blush from the Andy Warhol Collection

Showing you the Satellite of Love Blush from the Andy Warhol Collection ($28) seems like an anticlimax with all the coverage that other bloggers have given to the collection. Nevertheless, I purchased Satellite of Love, so I might as well add to the chorus of reviews.

I think the sparkling "gold sand" blush would be better called a highlighter. I don't see much in the way of blush on my face. Given its sheer, sandy color on my face, I can only guess that it's a sparkling highlighter, not a blush, on darker skin tones. I should run around at work trying it on darker complexions, but that may be a little weird.

I ordered Surrender to Love sight unseen. It looked intriguing, so why not? As it turns out, I think it's a shade that will not appeal to everyone. Warm skin? Yes. Cool skin? Maybe not.

I took my swatch photos in full sun. I swatched heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator at the top of my arm, and I used a kabuki brush to swatch heavily below.

Although you can't see all the sparkle in my swatch photos (it's slightly evident here), this powder definitely offers a glimmering finish. The color is a brown-ish gold on my cool-toned skin. Dare I call it muddy gold? I know that term carries negative connotations, and I don't mean to malign it. So let's stick with "sandy." Unfortunately, the sandy hue doesn't flatter cool-toned skin like mine. I should have figured that out from Sephora's photo at the top of this feature.

Here's my conclusion. Satellite of Love is a brown-toned gold highlighter. It's not a blush - unless you blush brown. If you need to add a sparkly highlighter in this color to your makeup wardrobe, it is a good choice. If not, you might want to try it before you buy. Or order it from Sephora, where I purchased mine, during Friends & Family. A 20% discount offers a great opportunity to experiment. The V.I.B. sale starts tomorrow.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Rola said...

I bought it, it is subtle and pretty on my yellow toned skin.

Eileen said...

I think these non-blush colored blushers are in keeping with the trend towards a more subtle cheek color. We've been seeing so many ultra light blush colors and unusual shades (Natorious!) coming out lately that I can't help but think of Satellite in terms of this trend. Sometimes I'm a bit perplexed as to how a product is catagorized because I tend to think of blushers, bronzers, and highlighters in very conventional terms. I've learned to go with the flow, though. After all, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." :-)

Hi Rola,

I bet this is very pretty on your warm skin tone. And, you hit the key word--subtle. I find that Lady Liberty works in much the same way on my fair complexion. Have you tried that one?

Charlestongirl said...

I am so glad to hear that, Rola. Thank you. That's what I expected, but confirmation is wonderful.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Yep! However, I like to see products named or categorized appropriately. I can't imagine the person on whom this is a blush. :)

Olivia J said...

This looks like a color that would be a step darker than NARS Miss Liberty.

Like Miss Liberty, I think this one would make a great eyeshadow instead!

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl, wow, Satellite of Love is quite beige! It is subtle but I feel like it would look best on those sporting a tan, or with warm skin as you mentioned. I'm glad, though that we're not seeing chunky glitter here, like some of the recent offerings

Eileen said...

Hi Olivia,

I also use Miss Liberty as an eyeshadow. It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's called Satellite of Love, not Surrender to Love. You should check your final paragraph and correct it.

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, thanks. Maybe I was drinking?