Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in Variation from Les Expressions de Chanel

Chanel's Les Expressions de Chanel offers three color harmonies, one called Plum Expression. Variation is the centerpiece of the Plum Expression Collection (plum hues with hints of metallic silver). This new Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow (Ombre à Paupières Quatour, $58) in Variation will add light rose, silver grey, deep purple, and light, shimmering plum to your makeup wardrobe. It's paired in the collection with a Purple Ligne Graphique de Chanel liner and the repromoted Illusoire (purple) Illusion d'Ombre.

I didn't expect to purchase Variation, much less love it. Plum hues and I don't get along, and I was afraid this quad would make me look bruised, not brilliant. There is one shade in Variation I cannot and will not wear. The plum in the lower right corner. It looks absolutely sickening on me. I can't imagine applying a black eye on purpose.

The rest of the quad is gorgeous. I swatched with sponge-tipped applicators and moved clockwise from the pink at the top left to the greyed brown on the bottom left. I took my photos in full, afternoon sun.

All four shades in the quad offer a shimmering finish, just like Intuition. The light rose, as described by Chanel, is really an icy pink. It's very pretty on my cool skin tone. You probably know this shade from other palettes and will know it it works for you. The second shade makes the palette. I want a vat of it.  The silvery grey-greige "Armani-ish" shade is divine. I could wear it alone on my lid and have a stunning eye look. It looks very nice with the pink too. I wish my swatches portrayed its marvelous color perfectly.

My photos do not show the gory plum shade in all its redness. You'll have to trust me that if you can't wear red tones on your eyes, you won't like it. I don't. That's OK. The silvery grey-greige makes up for a lot. The shimmering brown at the bottom of my arm is fabulous. I wish I could have snapped a better photo of it. I find the shade delightful, and I'm looking forward to wearing it. I think it would look better on my arm if it didn't have plum right above it.

I purchased Variation at Neiman Marcus. It's available on the Neiman Marcus Web site with free shipping in the U.S. (FSFALL). It's also available at Bloomingdale's online. If you want either new quad - Intuition or Variation - (or the repromoted Eclosion), you have a new excuse to go shopping.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'm drooling over both of the eye shadows you reviewed, I bet the eyeliners are pretty too. I love Chanel eyeshadows. Thank you.

Nemo said...

Here is a tip on the gorish red shade in this (and so many other) quad: Guerlain's Turandot has a reddish shade, too; I was in despair bc I knew I couldn't wear it and then I happened on the little Frenchie paper instruction "booklet" tucked inside the box with the eye palette. It described putting this shade atop the bronze color, along the crease. I tried it. It works! On its own, the shade is horrid. Used in this way, it is beautiful. All Hail Guerlain! And, I used the same technique with the new CHANEL holiday eye quad, which has similar colors as the Guerlain including a horrid one. So there is hope!

Anonymous said...

Love the colours, but they never work on my eyes. Nemo's excellent tip made me add Turandot to my look at list again.

Nemo said...

Oh, Maureen, you flatter me! But I can't take the credit. It's all from Guerlain's little how-to booklet. I can't recommend Turandot enough! It is so sexy to wear, even with a heavy smoky eye, because the colors are so beautiful you don't look made-up. I can wear it without mascara or liner--the shadows are that good. Get it, my dear. The shadows are long-lasting, too. I want more of them, such as Les Verts and Les Bois de Rose and another Turandot.

Gail said...

Awww, I am keeping this quad FOR that darkest shade! Maybe you can pry yours out and send it to me! LOL

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mary Ann,

Me too, and I have them. :)

Charlestongirl said...

That does work, Nemo. Good tip! I guess because I have so much makeup, I don't bother correcting shades. I simply pull out what I want.

Charlestongirl said...

Maureen, don't rule out three because one is funky trendy.

Charlestongirl said...

Gail, if there were a way, I would. I don't need it. :)

Gail said...

If you mix that shade with the silver you get a shade similar to Illusoire IdO

Running with Scissors said...

I agree with Gail. That plummy purple is the very colour I crave and always am looking for!

Unknown said...

So pretty! It pains me to even look at this now that I can no longer order my beloved US formula Chanel quads and JC's from Neiman Marcus now that they have canada restricted them. I feel despondent and unable to continue my love affair with Chanel. :-(

Unknown said...

I am a Chanel addict and this makes me quiver with anticipation! I want this one- now. The colors are GORGEOUS!!!!! Chanel eyeshadows are always so beautiful, long-wearing and just lovely textures.It reminds me of "Mystic Eyes" quad that is my all-time favorite!
My wallet is weeping!

Charlestongirl said...

Running late today. Wish I could write individual responses, but it's not in the cards. Hope everyone who is buying enjoys it!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

OK, I like this one even better than yesterday's. With this plummy undertone, they'd be perfect for my hazel eyes! LOVE, CG!

Cindy's Societal said...

Nom nom nom, i bought this when it came out a few months back (Euro version) :)

I always wonder how the US version differs from the Euro version with each new palette that is offered by Chanel!! Everyone tells me its so much better but I have Stupendous (Soho Collection) and I find the difference not significant . Its mainly a texture thing but the pigmentation and wear of the baked formula is good in my opinion.