Friday, November 16, 2012

The Friday Forum - November 16

It's hard for me to believe it's 10:00 am already, and I'm just starting to write the Friday Forum. I stayed home today, and spent the first part of my morning lugging recycling out to the bins for pick-up. Then I spent about an hour on work communications - even though I'm not officially working. Charlie and I spent a little time cuddling, and suddenly, it's 10:00.

The sun is shining, so I expect to be able to capture photos of the new Chantecaille eye trio and post them in a few hours. I've had the trio for days, but haven't had a sunny opportunity to take swatch photos.

Yesterday's New York Times Thursday Style sections, which I'm still reading, caught my eye the moment I saw the Sotheby's advertisement for its sale of the Magnificent Jewels from the Collection of Estée Lauder and Evelyn H. Lauder, being sold to benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The 6.54 carat, flawless oval pink diamond, flanked by white diamonds, is breathtaking. The photo in the paper is exquisite. This photo cut from the online photos at Sotheby's doesn't capture its life.

Here is part of the description of the sale...

This December Sotheby’s is honored to offer exceptional diamonds and signed jewels from the collections of Estée Lauder and Evelyn H. Lauder, sold to benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, an organization founded and championed by Evelyn Lauder. Highlighting the Lauder jewels are two particularly special diamonds: a beautiful Fancy Intense Pink diamond ring of 6.54 carats and a heart-shaped Fancy Intense Yellow diamond of 47.14 carats, set in a diamond necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels for Estée Lauder, and once owned by the Duchess of Windsor. The collections also feature a spectacular D color diamond of 22.16 carats by Graff and a very fine selection of wearable evening and daytime jewelry, all reflecting the classic style and refined taste of the women who wore them.

The Magnificent Jewels sale also includes a compelling array of white and fancy colored diamonds, precious gemstones, period designs and jewels signed by esteemed European and American jewelers of the past and present. Leading the selection of magnificent diamonds from private collections are the 52.73 carat Fancy Vivid Yellow diamond ring and the 33.84 carat D color diamond ring. Jewels crafted by Suzanne Belperron, Mauboussin, and Fouquet highlight the vintage jewels on offer, and designs by Nirav Modi and Michele della Valle will appeal to collectors seeking more contemporary styles.


I must remember to buy lottery tickets before I take Charlie for his annual physical. A big lottery win will be the only way I would ever be able to buy a diamond estimated at between $4M and $5M.

Also in the Thursday Styles section was an article on primers. Written, I believe, for the woman who isn't familiar with the many face, eye, and nail, and hair primers, the piece by Shivani Vora quoted Polly Blitzer as saying that primers are one of the fastest growing categories in beauty. You can read the article here. The pros and cons of primers for the face were addressed.

I never apply eye makeup without a primer, but I have to admit I seldom use face primers. I like to try them, but generally find them an added layer I don't need. I already use a face serum, moisturizer with sunscreen, possibly an additional sunscreen product, and then foundation and concealer before I apply blush, bronzer, and/or finishing powder. I think a primer is unnecessary for anyone who has good skin. Fortunately, at least one expert quoted agrees with me. Pfew! Validated.

Do you use any kind of primer? Forget nail primers. Doesn't everyone use them? Do you use an eye or face primer? Which ones? I've been using the Edward Bess Illuminating Eye Shadow Base. I'm still smitten with it.

Let's talk about your week of beauty - primers or not. It's time for the Friday Forum, our open chat. I love this part of our week. Have you selected your favorite holiday collection - and purchased a few new treasures? What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

Don't forget this week's giveaway contest for Bobbi Brown's 24K Shimmer Brick. The deadline for entries is tomorrow, Saturday, November 17, at midnight. It's a beauty. You should enter.

Photo at top by Best Things in Beauty; diamond ring photo courtesy of Sotheby's

23 comments:

lovethescents said...

Ooh, pretty ring! And at only 4-5M, it's a bargain!

I use a MAC eye primer for now. I had tried the cult favorite, Urban Decay, but the colour was off for me. These are the only two I've ever tried. I should probably use a face primer as well, it might help my blush 'stick'. I never touch my face, but after 5 hours or so, I'm blushless, even with the cream blushes. I must sweat them off? :-D LOL!

Nothing new in beauty....just my usual lemming for that RBR Sea of Tranquility highlighter. Sigh, one day!!

I tested several fumies this week, but was most disappointed by Tauer's Dicennial Lys du Desert. Rubber alert!

Also, LM's Sensual Orchid was surprisingly dull. I expected more from Jerome Epinette.

Well, that's it for me. We need to start planning our Christmas decorations and parties. Hurray!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

I think you need to try the Vitality Blush Stain I featured yesterday.

I ordered the Decennial Sample Pack. I have never liked Andy's fragrances - there's something "off" to my nose - so I was afraid to order a bottle of his or any of the others. The descriptions at LuckyScent were all a little outside my regular love zone.

Christmas? I need to get past Thanksgiving. I guess you already had yours. :)

beta said...

This week I fell in love with Burberry's new eyeshadow quad. I intended to get No1 and No 6, but in the end had to have No7 as well.

As for primer, I do wear a primer, particularly in the summer. It does wonders for oil control and makes foundation last forever if use correctly. That means I can apply less setting powder and avoid looking cakey.

Bellyhead said...

Happy Friday, CG & everyone!

Hmmm, eye primer is a necessity for my oily lids, but face primers are not. I generally think a good moisturizer and sunscreen is about what I need. Anything else I layer on is extra...erm stuff. Though I do quite like the RBR metamorphosis primer when I need to be particularly flawless.

I placed a small Sephora VIB order and trying out Hourglass for the first time. I'm test driving Femme Rouge in Fawn. It is beauuuutiful!

Planning out the Thanksgiving menu now. No one likes turkey (!), but we will do a small ceremonial turkey and then descend like vultures upon all the sides. I have much to be thankful for this year, especially my family.

Nemo said...

It's a loovely, sunny day here in Michigan, made even more so by your Friday Forum. Just returned from a holiday food run to my nearest Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, so now it's time again for makeup. Yes, I use an eye makeup primer: CHANEL's. Wonderful, easy and never fails me. I agree with you entirely on face primers. In fact, some years back, I read an article by makeup artist Dick Page who discouraged the use of face primers for the very reasons you give. Last weekend I started using my LMDB Nouvelle Vague eye kit, the one that scared the pants off me the first time I used it. This time I was careful and I loved the look it gave my eyes so much I went out to dinner at our fanciest restaurant. I have used it daily since. I must say each time I apply it I learn something else about how best to use it. It's like starting all over again in eye makeup 101. But it is lovely and leaves an exquisite look. Waiting now for the Black Friday CHANEL's. Here is wishing you, Cg, and CHarlie, and everyone else a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Beta,

I must track down what happened to our Burberry counter. It was supposed to happen at Nordies this year. I wonder if I missed it.

I think face primers for oil control are fabulous. I have the opposite issue, so all of my hydrating products don't need help. :)

EllenB said...

I seldom use face primers mostly because I forget to use them! But when I remember to, I use a few Smashbox samples that I own. It does seem to make my powder foundations apply better. As for eyes, I also have the Edward Bess primer (probably bought it when I read about it here) and I like it but alot of times I reach for a MAC paintpot. My favorite to use is "Painterly" and sometimes "Bare Study". Also, BH Cosmetics makes a really good eye primer but the container is so darn small that I can barely fit a finger in it! They need to reformulate the packaging. All of these work well and do their job perfectly. Using eye primers really makes a difference.

One thing I bought this week is Clinique's bottom lash mascara. I don't know why I didn't buy it sooner. The wand is perfect for my tiny bottom lashes.

Could anyone tell me if they have tried Merle Norman cosmetics? I hardly ever hear it mentioned in beauty videos or blogs and am wondering why. Do they test on animals or something? Any info would be helpful to me.

Eileen said...

I like Kanebo Sensai Eye Base because it is ideally suited to those of us with dry lids. I also love the one by ByTerry, but it is rediculously expensive. Since my skin is as dry as the Sahara, my lids are not hooded, and I only use good quality shadows, I never have issues with creasing or color fading. For me, an eye primer's function is to smooth and even out the eye area. It just makes for a better eyeshadow application. As for face primers, I really don't need another layer. Serum, moisturizer, SPF, foundation, finishing powder--done! Back in the day, when I was a young woman with oily skin, I would have loved a good primer because our foundations (except for pancake makeup) were all oil based and would slide off without regular touch ups; hence the ubiquitous powder compact. Foundation formulation has improved so dramatically over the years, though, that I can't really see the need to use a primer. My foundation holds up very well without it.

Hi EllenB,

Merle Norman! Wow! That really takes me back. Up until the very early 80's, it was a popular boutique brand especially in LA, the company's home turf. They were famous for customizing makeup looks to suit special occasions and for doing free makeovers. My friends and I used to go to have our makeup done for school dances much the way kids go to MAC nowadays. But, for whatever reason, over the years the company began falling behind the times and became rather stodgy. I wonder how they're doing now. Supposedly, they revamped their products and image and it is my understanding that some of the franchises actually operate more like beauty studios/spas than cosmetic boutiques.

This will be a busy weekend as I get things ready for Thanksgiving. My husband and I always look forward to having both our sons in residence at the same time. They'll be chez nous for a couple days with special lady friends and dogs in tow! They're great guys so the time we spend together is always, relaxed, interesting, and fun. And, the huskies are already licking their chops in anticipation of some roasted turkey :-)

Have a great weekend, everyone, and an even better Thanksgiving.

grlnxdor said...

I don't use a face primer, but I do use Too Faced Shadow Insurance for my oily eyelids. I received for Friends & Family order yesterday. I'm happy to report that I'm in love with the Nars Como lipgloss, the Bobbi Brown lipstick in Uber Nude(it's not the brown I wore back in the '90's, thank God),the SpaRitual nail polish in Lithophonic and the Smashbox Limitless eyeliner in Golden Ivy. My little "haul" earned me VIB status so I'm super excited!!

Jo said...

This week I wore Chanel's Malice nail polish on my fingers and love it. I also got the new Chanel mascara and that is great as well. It really defines my lashes but does not clump. It seems to be smudgeproof too. I received the Chantecaille highlighter too and have enjoyed putting that on with a big soft fluffy Shu Uemura brush and watching my skin glow.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a fun Thanksgiving!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bellyhead,

I love Sephora's sales. They make me more likely to try out new things.

It's hard to believe no one likes turkey - unless they are vegetarians. I love a great turkey dinner, with all the sides. I even like the coma afterwards. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Nemo. I hope you and all BTiB readers have a great holiday next week.

Did you order the Black Friday pieces yet?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ellen,

Merle Norman has been around a very long time - since 1931, before I was born. It's hard to believe the company still exists.

I am sure I had Merle Norman products when I was a teen, but they are long gone.

Buy Bobbi Brown's touch-up brush. It fits perfectly in those little pots. Same with Chantcaille's concealer pot. It's made for creams, so it's perfect.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Eileen,

We are in the same camp on primers. Must have an eye primer, but no need for face. I still enjoy playing with them when I have time. Some are great; I just can't add another item to my already complex routine.

It sounds like you'll have a great Thanksgiving. Happy holiday!

Charlestongirl said...

That's great, grlnxdor, but now you will have to earn it again for 2013.

You got some great things. Have fun with them!

Charlestongirl said...

Ooh, Jo, it sounds like you are looking fabulous!

lovethescents said...

Thank you for the tip, Charlestongirl, but the shipping costs are higher than the cost of the blush!

bisbee said...

Always an eye primer...I have primers for the face, but never use them. I have the Edward Bess that you love...but I didn't care for it. My favorite is Nars.

Marta said...

Happy Friday to all!

I'm a little black cloud in a dress. I've had a hard, long, sleepless, frustrating week, and my poker face is long gone. My husband has taken to swinging by to drop off some fresh tea, furry ones in tow. Even my dogs are like "Nope-- our cute faces are powerless against this." I don't remember ever being this frayed, so they're probably right to avoid me right now.

I love the holiday season, and can usually raise my spirits by taking a break to wrap gifts and send out Christmas cards. Unfortunately, the post to England gets slower each year so I did all of my Christmas gift shopping and prep by mid-October, and sent the parcels with a visiting relative. I didn't realize how much I would miss my pre/post-Thanksgiving ritual.

I am waiting on my second VIP Sephora order, which will hopefully distract me with pretty little boxes. I'm seriously considering wrapping my own presents for no good reason, since I'm certainly not waiting until Christmas. I need sleep.

RE: the NYT article- Seems at least three years late! I heard of primers long before I used them, and started using them when I began experimenting with shadows that experience some fall out. It's now a part of my routine. In descending order of use: Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer, a MAC Pots (usually Painterly), or a Maybelline Color Tattoo.

I don't really need makeup primer, but can appreciate the subtle smoothing effect when I use my Shiseido sunscreen, which doubles as a primer. I am sampling a few other "double duty" products; I can always use additional sunscreen or moisture.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bisbee,

We are all different. How many eye faves are we up to so far? :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marta,

Gosh, I hope something will raise your spirits soon. Perhaps a few more makeup purchases? That can do it for me.

Anonymous said...

I think the Chanel Black Friday collection will be out at Nordis as of tomorrow. I tried the Vision Id'O and I know you didn't like it too much. It is actually very nice when used sparingly and possibly with another color over it. It's nice for the holidays. We are making a Turkey today and are planning to have another one on Thanksgiving. I hope that won't take the specialness away. The long, warm summer makes this autumn and the upcoming holidays so remote. It is odd for me this year and I hope to be in the spirit soon.
Have a great weekend.
Tanja

Evelyn said...

I wouldn't mind a lottery win either to purchase a most lovely diamond ring (just not pink)!

I do use primer on my lids because they get oily over the day. I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance but I was breaking out a bit & it was annoying that it separated so I switched to the Nars one which also plays nicely with LMdB shadows. Some face primers break me out badly so now I use the Hourglass Mineral Veil which works well however I just apply it to the areas that get very oily because it can give a bit of a dry look to my skin. Strange I know.

I finally have everything from the VIB sale - gifts for my sister, some coworkers and me of course! I'm most excited to try out the thermal cleansing balm from Omorovicza. I also bought 1 Sunday Riley eye shadow in Burnt Eggplant, my first foray into the line. Plenty to play with this weekend!

Have a great weekend everyone and a very Happy Thanksgiving!