Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss

I had to do it during the Sephora V.I.B. sale. I was anxious to try Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss ($28), one of the items in the Give Me Some Lip Lip Sampler. Since I gave that away, I decided to order an Hourglass gloss shade during the sale. Which shade? Inexperienced with this particular gloss, I ended up with three. I wanted all 13. Moderation is not one of my virtues, so I decided to order one light/cool, one that turned out to be medium/warm, and one dark/red, appropriate for all skin tones - a spectrum I could use to select future shades.

Hourglass promises smoothing, defining, and opulent shine with Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss. Here's its description at Sephora.

The crème-de-la-crème of lip glosses, Extreme Sheen is pure luxury for the lips. The formulation delivers high shine and rich pigment without feathering. It contains moisturizing active and vitamin E to provide intense hydration to keep lips from cracking or chapping.

What the heck is moisturizing active? I was sure Sephora had to have left out at least one word when posting this lip gloss, so I went to the Hourglass site and got the real scoop.I found better swatch representations too.

Pure pigment, pure shine, pure luxury: this intensely-hued, super lustrous lip gloss is formulated with active ingredients that hydrate and restore lips for an immediately soft and smooth effect. The hydrating formula keeps lips from cracking or chapping. Added super-antioxidant vitamin E protects the lips from damaging environmental elements. Wears alone or layers over lipstick and liner to impart shine.

My photo at the top of this feature shows Fortune on the left, Icon in the center, and Truth on the right. Fortune is described as a golden pink shimmer. Icon, a new shade, is called a deep ruby red. Truth's description is probably the only misleading one of the three: rosy nude. I'm not seeing that.

My swatch photos were taken in full sun about mid-afternoon. These days, mid-afternoon sends me dragging up to my neighbor's property to find sun spots. I'm like a cat in winter, moving around the house with the sun. I swatched in the same order listed above: Fortune at the top, Icon in the middle, and Truth at the bottom of my arm.

Fortune and Truth are sheer. Icon is richly pigmented. That's the first thing I noticed about these glosses after I marveled at their two flat sides. Fortune is very light. Fortunately, it sneaks just over the line at which I find a gloss too light to wear without lipstick. It adds a pretty pink shine to my lips.

Icon is a whole 'nother story. It's red - really red. I had assumed when I ordered it that it would offer a sheerness that would make it wearable. I am uncomfortable wearing it. It's too red and the color is too saturated for me, but anyone who likes red lipstick will love it. The color is gorgeous.

Truth is a warm nude beige. Sheer and shiny, it's very pretty. It's not what I had expected (more rose than nude) from the online swatches, but I like it.

These Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Glosses deliver on the promised shine. They have no detectible fragrance, and they are formulated without all the nasty chemicals we are trying to avoid. The only weird thing I have noticed is that their wands are slightly flexible, forcing me to be careful when stowing the wand back in the tube.

Hourglass products are available at Hourglasscosmetics.com, Sephora, SPACE.NK, Barneys, Zuneta, Liberty, and Dermstore.com. Please let me know what you think.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Makeup Remastered said...

Hello!- I had the same concern with the wand with their new matte gloss-thought it felt a bit flimsy-these look nice tho'-I am slowly falling in love with this brand-I have just purchased their mineral veil primer and veil foundation -what a lovely natural dewy finish-also bought their Aura liquid blush which is so seamless and pretty - slight addictive brand.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that wand!

Hourglass is a beloved brand for many. I'm dipping my toes in. I've played with it at SPACE.NK, but resisted until now. :)

Evelyn said...

Well it looks like I may have to buy the Icon gloss although I really want the lipstick version. It was sold out unfortunately online and in the store when I was looking during the VIB sale. I am such a sucker for that kind of red color. Sheer? nope, not me! lol I like their glosses although sometimes they are more sheer on the lips than they are in the tube and that can be disappointing.

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn,

Send me your address. You can have mine. It should go to a good home.

Lucy said...

Love the colors. I wonder how long they last. As long as they last a bit longer than other glosses do, and are conditioning to the lips, this sounds very tempting. The colors are very tempting, the pale shades especially. I like a true bright red but only in a lipstick that stays exactly where you put it.

Evelyn said...

Oh thank you! lol I will wear it proudly and well. :)

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

Oooh pretty! I recently tried this too (the one that came in the Best of Hourglass set) and I really, really like the formula. It's quite nice and cushy on the lips but not sticky at all. And the color was gorgeous, though subtle (which isn't a bad thing). I can't wait to get my hands on more!

Charlestongirl said...

Lucy, they are amazingly long-lasting. I had a hard time washing them off my arm with soap and water!

Charlestongirl said...

Ooh, Becca, a set would be wonderful!