Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bobbi Brown Rich Caviar Eye Palette for Holiday 2012

I have my favorites from Bobbi Brown's lovely, festive holiday collection, and the Rich Caviar Eye Palette ($47.50) is right up there with those Tube Tints.

With six mix-and-match shades this eye palette truly strikes it rich. Featuring everything you need to take eyes from day to night including Bobbi's beloved base shadow in Bone and the palette's namesake shade in Rich Caviar. Complimentary colors include metallic and sparkle textures, perfect for building intensity. A Mini Dual Ended Shadow/Liner brush completes the set-all it needs now is a bow.

Rather than repeat Bobbi Brown's shade descriptions, I cut them in above. Yes, the palette has one of those obligatory repeats, Bone Eye Shadow. It's shown at the top of my arm in the swatch photos, but I doubt you'll be able to see it. It would be so nice if Bobbi Brown would invent a few new base shades to prevent the palette fatigue that has descended on some loyal customers.

I swatched the palette clockwise, starting with Bone, and ending with Olive Tree Sparkle Eye Shadow. I used a sponge-tipped applicator and took my photos in full sun.

Bone, at the top of my arm, is bone. Enough said. I'm tired of it, even if it is a terrific, brightening base shade. Candle Light Gold Metallic Eye Shadow, second own, is gorgeous! The shimmering gold (not metallic as I define metallic), is beautiful. Do you ever wonder why makeup companies misspell words in their product names? Or fail to use proper punctuation? Would Candlelight have made more sense? After all, I'm sure Bobbi saw the flattering glow of candlelight on the face. There's nothing dim about Bobbi's Candle Light. It's a charmer.

Wheat Eye Shadow is another standard palette filler. It's a bit too warm for my tastes, but I work around it with other shades. I don't think of it as ash beige, which has a cool connotation to me. You really don't see its warmth well in my palette photo below, but you can see it on my skin. Incidentally, my own palette photo does not reflect the Rich Caviar greens well. Use Bobbi Brown's photo at the top of this feature as your reference.

Rich Caviar Eye Shadow is a perfectly described as a rich black brown. For me, it's a liner shade - and a nice one too because it's not as harsh as black black. The bottom two shades on my arm, along with Candle Light, make the palette for me. Black Topaz Metallic Eye Shadow is a shimmering charcoal with a hint of green in it - don't look for much green. I know it's called deep green with gold pearl, but on my skin, it translates as charcoal that leans green. I provided a close-up so you could see exactly what I mean by that. I see the hint of green with my eyes, but my camera didn't.

The shade at the bottom of my arm, Olive Tree Sparkle Eye Shadow, is a shimmering golden green-beige. Steady my heart, it's stunning. Shades like Olive Tree can make a palette for me - and this one does with four stars, maybe five.

All of the shades in the Rich Caviar Eye Palette are pigmented (no sheer, sparkly duds here). I think this is the the best eye palette in Bobbi Brown's holiday collection and think you will enjoy it - even if you already have 50 Bone Eye Shadows and enough little brushes to open a store.

You can find the Rich Caviar Eye Palette at Bobbi Brown's Web site and all Bobbi Brown in-store and online sites.

Photos at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

grlnxdor said...

Oh my! What a beauty! That warm beige and olive have my name written all over them. I feel like I need to get the word out that I'd be happy to get this for Christmas!

LilyBiscuit said...

I like this one. I may treat myself to one BB palette. This may just be the one I buy :)

Tatiana said...

I haven't bought a single holiday collection from any line, yet. I think that's going to change. This looks so versatile.

Deb said...

Hi Charleston Girl. Like you, I have blue eyes and fair skin. Unlike you, I have red hair and I find that these colors make my eyes pop and play off of the strength and warmth of my hair. Looking at your swatches, I'm feeling a tug. My one concern: the shimmer and sparkle. Also like you, I am of a "certain age" and I just can't do sparkle. It makes me feel garish. The sparkle doesn't show as disco ball queen in your swatches so I'm curious: your honest assessment of the shimmer/glitter/sparkle in this palette? Subtle enough for a 56 yr old? And what about fallout? I would really appreciate your honest take on that; the devil is in the details :) Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Grlnxdor,

Be very specific with your loved ones. You want to make sure to get the right palette. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LilyBiscuit,

Nice choice, I think.

Charlestongirl said...

I hope you enjoy it, Tatiana!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Deb, I am much older than you. I can wear it. It shimmers; it doesn't look garish or inappropriate. Abandon your reluctance and to for it. Just keep that shimmer below the crease and away from any crepiness. If you have it.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm still laughing over your comment about the little brushes! (so true...) and maybe you should say something to Bobbi's customer service people at "Bobbi Cares" about "Bone Fatigue" (great name for it, btw). They finally listened to customers after 20 years about the lipgloss brush! lol...

Cindy's Societal said...

I am very very tempted by this, but I can't afford to have SO MANY neutral palettes LOL