Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bobbi Brown Uber Nude Lip and Eye Palette for Holiday 2012

Bobbi Brown's limited-edition Uber Nude Lip and Eye Palette ($30) was an easy pick for me. I love neutral shades, and the little compact looked attractive. I purchased it online from Nordstrom.

Your go-to gift: Monday to Sunday, this pocket-sized palette has it covered with Bobbi's most timeless, tried-and-true colors for eyes and lips. With three Eye Shadows, two Lip Colors, plus a mini Glitter Lip Gloss, this compact includes everything you need to achieve a classic, but modern look.

The photo below shows the colors that come in the palette. Just click on the photo to enlarge it.

I took swatch photos in full sun over the weekend. I used sponge-tipped applicators to swatch, except for the Mini Nude Glitter Lip Gloss, for which I used its own wand. "Mini" is a great description of the gloss. It's seriously small.

The nude shades didn't photograph especially well. The Mini Nude Glitter Lip Gloss is shown at the top of my arm. It's a very pretty, shiny, sheer peach shade with a touch of pink. I applied the two lip colors from the left side of the palette in the second row on my arm. Uber Beige Lip Color is shown at left on my arm. It's described as pale nude beige, but I'd call it medium-toned peach. You may have difficulty seeing the Blushed Heather Shimmer Lip Gloss to its right. I'm sure you can see the shimmer, but the gloss is beyond sheer - not nearly as colorful as it looks in the palette.

The next row down on my arm shows the eye shades. On the left side, I applied Navajo, a pink-toned white. It's nearly impossible to see on my arm because it matches me so well. I'm not enthusiastic about the Downtown Eye Shadow. It's muddy on my face. If I blend it with Navajo, I can wear it, but it doesn't excite me. The Expresso Eye Shadow is a very dark brown liner that coordinates perfectly with the other shades in the palette.

Who should buy this palette? Not Bobbi Brown collectors, like me, who are Navajo'd or Expresso'd out. I wish Bobbi Brown would stop repeating her usual basics in every palette. It's getting old. How hard is it to put a new twist on the basics?

The market for this palette will likely be travelers, who want an all-in-one kit, or first-time Bobbi Brown buyers - the future addicts for the brand. The Uber Nude Lip and Eye Palette would also be a nice gift for the girl who is just starting to wear makeup if mom wants her to keep her in age-appropriate shades.

If you are a buy-everything Bobbi fan like me, you can skip this one. You already have most of it in one palette incarnation or another. Still want to buy? You can find it at Bobbi Brown's Web site, other online sites, and all Bobbi Brown counters.

Photo at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

grlnxdor said...

I can't thank you enough, Charlestongirl, for swatching this. I was going to pick it up during the Sephora event, but then I got cold feet. I'm leery of sheer glosses because I no longer have much pigment in my lips. I did, however, pick up her lipstick in Uber Nude and can't wait to see if it will work on me.

Anonymous said...

I admit to not owning any Bobbi Brown products. Whenever I looked at the products, and did have a makeover once, they just didn't appeal to me. I looked washed out and even my husband thought I needed more colour. That said, I still check the company's website for new products and have considered several palettes. I follow your blog because you provide such concise information about products with an informed opinion that makes it easier for consumers to decide whether a product might be suitable for them. Maybe BB warrants another look soon.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I have every possible Bobbi Brown product out there, but I still want this because it's so cute and portable! (a true devotee!)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Grlnxdor,

Hope that lip color works for you!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Maureen,

BB makes something for everyone. Perhaps the makeup artist misjudged you. Won't be the first time.

Give it a try at the counter yourself. Trust your instincts. :)

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, MamaVal, you are indeed a true devotee.

lov2read68 said...

I picked up a version of this earlier in the year or maybe it was last year - the Classic to Go palette. I haven't used it yet & just learned that my niece is heading to Dallas this summer for an internship. I'll be tucking this in her Christmas present - portable & perfect colors for a conservative office.

lov2read68 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.