Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Edward Bess Prismette Eyeshadow Quad in Cosmic Bliss

Cosmic Bliss is the second of the two Edward Bess Prismette Eyeshadow Quads ($68) I ordered. The photo of Cosmic Bliss at Sephora was no better than that of Sun and Stars. I almost skipped these basics based on the promotional photos.

I'm happy to have Cosmic Bliss. Eileen selected well when she chose it - probably about the same time I ordered my palettes sight unseen.

My photo directly above was taken in full sun, and there's a considerable difference between it, which is slightly too light, and Sephora's photo, which is way too dark. I won't be surprised if neither inspire you.

As I mentioned earlier today, these new eye shadow quads are described as rich prisms of multidimensional color. "With four perfectly paired shades, this collection of textures ranging from soft matte to high pearl deliver the ultimate depth and dimension" Knowing that Edward Bess has created gorgeous eye colors in the past, colors that provide an elegant, ladylike, look, I had faith.

I took my swatch photos in full, morning sun. I think the swatch photos are accurate in showing the colors on my skin. I applied the shades to my arm using a sponge-tipped applicator, and I swatched from left to right in the palette in top to bottom order on my arm.

The matte base shade shown at the top of my arm is similar to the shade in Sun and Stars, but it's cooler. I like it the best of the two. The other three shades in Cosmic Bliss are stunning neutrals. I'm very pleased with the shimmering taupe, the mauve-toned taupe, and the shimmering chocolate brown. This palette excites me.

I have a bias toward shadows with shimmer. I like the Edward Bess shimmer because it's age-appropriate for me. It imparts an elegant eye look - one that compliments my eyes, rather than drawing compliments for my makeup. I'd recommend this palette over Sun and Stars. The third, Over the Moon, looks too lavender for my tastes. Still, who knows given the poor color renditions in the promotional photos?

You can find the new Edward Bess Prismette Eyeshadow Quads at Sephora and at Edward Bess counters at Bergdorf Goodman and select (very select) Neiman Marcus stores.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Swathi Narumanchi said...

Beautiful, beautiful palettes CG, though I prefer this to the the other one.

I think the Sephora pictures correspond pretty well to your swatches on skin.

I am presently planning my second Zuneta order, and I like this. But I am unsure of how this would translate onto my skin tone. I think they wouldn't show up much ! But on you, they look very elegant and classy !

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

I have Cosmic Bliss on its way from Sephora. I was afraid to buy two since the price is high and I wanted to see for myself. I had bought the new Becca quads and was very disappointed so I'm taking it step by step. Your swatches make me feel that I'll like this when it comes.

Mary said...

These palettes look very nice. Why do almost all palettes come with a sponge applicator. Glad Bobbi Brown doesn't use them. She is a mile above the rest for that reason alone.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Swathi,

Me too. It's my fave. I think these shades should show up on your skin. Just build the color.

Charlestongirl said...

I think you will, Marcia. The price is definitely on the high side, so it was a gamble when I ordered two.

Charlestongirl said...

Mary, that's a good question. Sponge applicators are useful when you want to apply a lot of product in a hurry. They are also useful for flaky textures, but these are definitely not flaky.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Just can't make myself use sponge applicators anymore. Good brushes make such a difference. And I think a palette looks much "cleaner" (and come to think of it, stays literally cleaner) without the applicator thrown in like an afterthought. But, enough about that. This is beautiful and I WANT it!

Charlestongirl said...

I know what you mean, MamaVal. After you've used good brushes, sponge applicators seem so primitive. :)

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

The swatches are *stunning* but am I the only one that doesn't like the packaging/presentation? It kinda reminds me of a cheap drugstore palette, for some reason...but I guess the shades are what matter and these are beautiful! I think I definitely have to grab one of these up! :)

Walls said...

A very pretty palette. Where are the shadow quads made?

Thanks, Charleston Girl!

Eileen said...

Now that I've seen your swatches, I am thrilled that I ordered Cosmic Bliss. It's apparent that this quad will create an effortless casual look, a soft smoky look, or a sculpted dramatic look and will do any one of those with ease. I do so appreciate EB's take on refined chic. There is nothing about this quad that shots, but boy is it pretty. As I said in your previous review, his shadows bring a youthful and healthy glow to the skin that is special, indeed. Subtle, sophisticated, beautifully coordinated neutrals--yes, I'm thrilled I ordered this one :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Becca,

Hold one in your hand, and you'll change your visual impression. I know, though, exactly what drugstore eye shadow quad you are referencing. I can see it! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Walls, I will come back later and tell you. I'm at work, and the quads are at home.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

You definitely selected the best one. :)

Eileen said...

Hi Walls,

I just received my quad. It's made in Taiwan, but don't let that deter you. The shadows are of excellent quality :-)