Monday, March 19, 2012

Bobbi Brown Coffee to Cocktails Collection: Long-Wear Cream Shadows

You no longer have to buy Velvet Plum Long-Wear Cream Shadow ($24) in a multi-piece set, such as the Long-Wear Eye Kit. Five new, gorgeous shades are featured on Bobbi Brown's new Coffee to Cocktails Collection at your favorite Bobbi Brown counter, and one is Velvet Plum. The Long-Wear Cream Shadows in the collection are accompanied by new Long-Wear Eye Pencils (stay tuned here) and Long-Wear Mascara - all designed to keep your eyes fresh from morning through evening.

When I saw the display at Neiman Marcus, I zeroed right in on the Long-Wear Cream Shadows, which have been a favorite of mine since they were introduced. I tested all the shades and, naturally, selected the two that were the most neutral. Three had red/lavender tones (Cool Lilac, Berry Noir, and Black Violet) that aren't good for my coloring, but Velvet Plum and Smoky Topaz came home with me to enhance my cream shadow wardrobe. Velvet Plum is shown on the left immediately below, with Smoky Topaz on the right.

I saw the name Velvet Plum (#37) before I saw the shadow. Fortunately, I picked it up and opened it. There's little about it that's plum. The shade is a glorious sparkling golden topaz on my skin. Smoky Topaz (#39) is a shade that might have been named Velvet Plum. It also isn't what I expected from the name. I see a slight hint of plum in an otherwise shimmering grey shadow. All weekend, I looked at these shadows, wondering if there was a manufacturing mess-up with the labels. I waited to post this feature so that I could call the Bobbi Brown counter to make sure what I have is correct.

Even worse, my swatch photos barely show the differences in these two shades. In my first photo above, with both shadows applied heavily with a Bobbi Brown Cream Blending Brush, the shades look too similar. I can see the differences in the photo above, but I worry that you won't be able to see them.

I took more photos after applying the shadows less heavily, using a Bobbi Brown Cream Shadow Brush. The differences are more apparent, but still not what my eye sees. Velvet Plum is shown at the top of my arm, with Smoky Topaz below.

I took more photos, using different backgrounds and light exposures - all in an effort to force my camera to show what I can see. The photo directly below is the best I could get in a bright photo. At least it shows that Velvet Plum is a brown-based shade, and Smoky Topaz is a grey-based shade.

The closest color representation may be in the dark photo below. I hesitated to post it. Take a look and see what you think.

The bottom line? I love both these shades, and I'm sure I'll wear them often. I can apply them lightly, for a wash of color, or more heavily for impact. The color of Long-Wear Cream Shadows stays with me all day, without creasing (as long as I wear a primer), making me a happy gal.

I purchased my new Long-Wear Cream Shadows at the Mazza Gallerie store. You can reach the counter at (202) 966-9700, extension 2265. I'm sure your own favorite Bobbi Brown counter will have the new display soon, if not already.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

11 comments:

Unknown said...

WOOWWWWW!!!

Eileen said...

Oh, how funny! If I were matching the colors to their names, I'd have had them opposite, too :-P Oh well, a rose by any other name . . .

But, whatever the names, the colors are beautiful and rest assured that the difference is quite evident in your pictures.

If you like the idea of a blackened plum, have you checked out Bobbi's Black Pearl? It's one of the metallic creams so it is geared primarily towards evening wear. It has an abundance of pink shimmer in a deep pearl gray base. It gives a "wet" glimmer of color that makes a beautiful highlight when paired with matte or satin shades.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mahwish!

Double wow! You might even like some of the red/lavender shades I didn't. I love the two I bought.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I was discussing the crazy names with a BB rep today. She was as baffled as I am. I'm so glad the photos showed the differences. They are similar, but I was sure I'd be the only one who could see that.

The nice thing about those sparklers Bobbi Brown makes is how wonderful they look at night and particularly over other shades. I don't think I have Black Pearl, but I have to admit my "inventory" is out of control. :)

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I agree with Eileen. I would have thought just the opposite of the swatch colors. I've had Velvet Plum before, but I just felt that it wasn't me. (even with Hazel eyes, imagine that!) I gave it to my big brown-eyed daughter and she adores it. I'll have to check out the other colors because I am IN.LOVE. with this formula!

Isla said...

Those look really nice; and I have a couple of BB Long-Wear Cream Shadows myself, but I'm surprised you have to wear a primer to keep them from creasing--it seems to defeat the purpose of the product, since it doesn't even work as a base then...

Charlestongirl said...

Me too, MamaVal, since the first ones were introduced. I'm definitely a BB cream shadow addict.

Charlestongirl said...

Isla,

I wear a primer under every eye color. Maybe I don't HAVE to wear it, but it's nice insurance. :)

Liz said...

OMG want!

Charlestongirl said...

Liz,

My reaction the second I saw them!

Unknown said...

These 2 shades are lovely neutrals!!!