Sunday, March 11, 2012

Le Métier de Beauté Northern Lights Kaleidoscope Eye Kit from the Northern Lights Spring 2012 Collection - More Swatches

I was privileged to feature the Northern Lights Kaleidoscope Eye Kit ($95), shown above, last week. At that time, I promised more swatch photos, and today, I'm delivering.

The Northern Lights Kaleidoscope Eye Kit contains Ionic, a satin/matte neutral sunset, at the top level; Sky, a pale shimmering skyline blue, immediately below; Magnetic, a blazing copper; and Equinox, a satin/matte twilight violet in the bottom swing-out pan. Applied using Le Métier de Beauté’s signature Couche de Couleur layering format, the result will be multidimensional, as you'll see below. Create your own combinations every day, and you will have a new wardrobe of color for spring.

I decided to swatch three combinations. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the swatches for the photos, and I snapped the photos in bright, full sunlight.

At the top of my arm, I applied two complimentary shades side by side: Sky and Magnetic. There's something about the color theory that opposites attract that really works with these two Northern Lights shades.

The blended swatch of all four colors is shown in the middle of my arm. I applied the shades from the bottom of the Kaleidoscope, working up, starting with Equinox, and ending with Ionic. The blended result (please ignore the edges, unless you'd like to consider using Equinox as a liner - a lovely idea) is a complex, subdued (read wearable) blue violet that is perfect for spring.

The bottom swatch on my arm is another favorite combination. I applied Ionic for a base, topped it with Equinox, and then I applied a tiny bit of Ionic again on top for good measure. The result is a pretty peach shade that's warm and perfect for a summer look. I love the result of layering those two shades. The top swatch photo shows the depth of tone better than the lighter photo directly above.

The lesson from this feature is that "the sky's the limit," particularly appropriate for a Northern Lights Collection. As I mentioned earlier today, you can pre-order the Northern Lights Collection at Neiman Marcus.com if you want to skip the "fuss" of shopping. Use code FSMAR for free shipping. The items are expected to ship March 23.

If you want the experience of a Le Métier de Beauté consultation, I'd recommend any of these wonderful Le Métier de Beauté representatives (I know and can personally recommend all of them). You can't go wrong with their help!
  • Dustin Lujan at Bergdorf Goodman, (212) 872-8612
  • Michael Reinhardt at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie (202) 966-9700, extension 2258
  • Lisa Corsino at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria, (703) 761-1600, extension 3286
  • Sara Wren at Neiman Marcus King of Prussia, (610) 354-0500, extension 2504
Photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Cindy's Societal said...

Hmm... I don't think I can pull this one off to be honest. Looks good on you though, Cgirl!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I thinking the same as the post above me. The Cherry Blossom Kaleidoscope does look gorgeous, but I already pre-saled the Northern Lights Eye Kit during the Neiman Marcus beauty event so I could get the red velvet lip gloss. Too bad I'm in LA so I can't exchange it for the cherry blossom one!
Thanks for posting the additional swatches ;)
x Naomi

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Girl's Guide!

There will always be another one coming down the pike. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Naomi,

Call Michael Reinhardt at NM Mazza and see if he still has Red Velvet. If he does, maybe you can strike a deal and return the Northern Lights you bought during pre-sale?

nikki said...

GORGEOUS!!! I cant wait to finally get this collection. Seems a long time in the making:)

tasa said...

I have been so good recently and haven't purchased much [except for Dior Bleu de Paris quint that the Non-Blonde made me get :) ].... However, that resolve is fading fast with your feature on this kaleidoscope.

Thank you for this review, I always look forward to seeing what you have to say about a product!

Anonymous said...

I'm passing on this one.

Kit said...

I actually like the colors a lot more blended than I thought I would, but the blue violet scares me. I have monster dark circles that have yet to encounter a concealer they can't demolish, so I'm always nervous about echoing the color on my eyelids. I'm on the fence . . .

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nikki and Tasa! Please let us know what you think after you get your hands on it. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous and Kit,

These shades can be tricky for some, myself included. If you get the chance, let a LMdB rep apply them, then decide.

DEN said...

I was able to play with this Kaleidoscope at the counter today and in my opinion........OMG!! A gorgeous palette and one not reproducible from their current line as well as different from any other release from LMdB. I applied it with the "couche de coluer" method and it was a soft, taupey, periwinkle blue violet wash on the lid. Of course, you could pump it up in different combos, for a smokier look. Definitely very spring like and appropriate for day wear. I was unimpressed with the online photos but in person-STUNNING! A great way to add a touch of color to the eyes without it looking like a rainbow- and I am a diehard neutral lover (think Burberry trench colors). Now, I await for the FedEx guy as I preordered mine.

tasa said...

It's been ages since I first desired this and now it is mine! :) Frankly, what got me was that it was the last one left in stock at my local counter and I had a bit of a panic moment.

I'm wearing it today and think I may be in love. I really appreciate the light, buildable color in shades I may otherwise have shied away from but when they're done like this, even I can pull off purple :)

Thank you for featuring this, so many months ago.