Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Pink Explosion - New Formula

Originally introduced for Fall 2010, Chanel's Pink Explosion Joues Contraste Powder Blush ($43, Joues Contraste Fards à Joues Poudre in French) is back. This time, it's available in the powder formulation that's common for Chanel's blush launches in the United States. The 2010 formula was baked.

I bought (and featured) the original Pink Explosion. It had reached out from the display and said, "Don't leave here without me!" I felt the same way about the new one. I had to have it when I saw it was available at Chanel.com.

Pink Explosion is a bright, cool pink. I applied it very heavily to show you the shade, and I took my photos in full sun. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the stripe at the top of my arm. I used a dense blush brush fairly heavily to apply the swatch below. You can see how bright the color can be if you over-apply it or fail to blend it. Applied normally, it's beautiful. It definitely adds a pop of color to my face.

Pink Explosion is a more vibrant pink than Tumulte, one of the other Chanel blushes I ordered this week. While they are both cool pinks, Pink Explosion is deeper. It's also more sparkly - and powdery in my opinion.

I wish I could show you a comparison photo with my original Pink Explosion. It is packed away, the fate of much of the makeup I was wearing before my December 2010 surgery. I did a quick scan, but it didn't jump out at me from the many boxes I packed for storage. I wouldn't suggest you buy another one, like I did, just because you couldn't locate the 2010 version, but if you are in the mood for a new, bright pink Chanel blush, Pink Explosion could be calling your name.

I purchased all of my new Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blushes at Chanel's Web site. They are also available online at Nordstrom. I haven't been to a store in days, but I suspect they are arriving at all of the Chanel counters. I'm headed over to Neiman Marcus for a fashion and cocktail party tomorrow evening. I'll check then to see if the new blushes have arrived at the counter.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Hummingbird5 said...

Another beauty, but it seems like this one might require a lighter hand than the others. Since I'm new here, I hope you will excuse my question if you have covered it previously: why did you have to pack your makeup away before surgery? I'm loving your blog!

lola seicento said...

Hi Charlestongirl,
I just opened up another window and enlarged both of your pictures (the old and the new Pink Explosions) and looked at them side by side. The new one seems to be a bit more red and more pigmented. I wonder if it is worth it for me to get the new one as well. I have both versions of Narcisse, and there is definitely a difference in the colors as well as the formula. Gorgeous swatches as always!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hummingbird,

I had my knee replaced. I had so much makeup in my bathroom and bedroom, I packed almost all of it away so that I wouldn't trip over anything when I came home for the lengthy recuperation.

I definitely use a lighter hand with Pink Explosion.

Charlestongirl said...

Well, Lola, that old photo of mine is so bad it's almost embarrassing. I will definitely post a comparison when I locate my 2010 version. I'm quite curious and need to satisfy my own curiosity.

lizzybee said...

Ooooh Charlestongirl, good luck with your recuperation for the knee!! It's distinctively the most "difficult" orthopedic replacement procedure known to mankind!! Haha- not anymore; I wish you all the very best and I'm sure you'll be glad you took the bull by the horns ... thank you for this post, too, as always. It's a really pretty blush. xoxo Beth in Pgh ;-)

Leigh said...

Well, I just can't choose between these. I'm going to have to get all three blushes. Thanks for the beautiful swatches, Charlestongirl.

Charlestongirl said...

Beth, thank you so much. Actually, I'm "all better" now. The recuperation was difficult, particularly since my condition was severe by the time I threw in the towel and had the surgery. Today? That knee is one of the best body parts I have. :)

I have become an advocate for knee replacements, however... My surgeon said it would take six weeks to recover. I want him to do his own someday and say that with a straight face afterwards.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Leigh! Each offers something different, and I think you have the coloring to wear all three. My fave is definitely Malice, but I had to try and wear all three to know that. Then again, the true pinks have their days. :)