Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sephora + Pantone Universe Color of the Year Crème Lipstick in Tangerine Tango

I can't believe how nice the limited-edition Sephora + Pantone Universe Color of the Year Crème Lipstick is - in every way. This is luxury lipstick is only $18. If you'd like to try a Tangerine Tango Crème Lipstick and wear the color of the season, what do you have to lose?

Get a seductive, stylish smile with the vibrant color packed into this lip formula. Proven to smooth, protect, and hydrate, this créme leaves lips luscious to the touch without compromising brilliance. Glistening pearls beautify lips with a lightweight texture you'll love to wear day into night. Inspired by the Color of the Year, the exclusive shade Tangerine Tango Cream (PANTONE #17-1463), comes in a sleek, white component with unique, 3D embossing.

That Sephora description doesn't tell you half of it. I published a coming attraction feature last weekend. Sephora had offered V.I.B.'s an advance purchase, and I took advantage of the offer, even though brilliant tangerine isn't an obvious shade for me.

My first surprise came when I pulled the Tangerine Tango package out of the Sephora shipping box. I saw packaging that itself was worth $18. The exterior of the box is beyond cool, and when you open it, you'll be greeted by a hefty tube of lipstick nestled into a custom-fitted insert. This is Sephora? You know I don't usually get carried away by packaging. That's why I don't often show it to you. I recycle most of it, so it's often out of sight pretty quickly. Not this time! I had to show you the exterior. I'll leave the interior to surprise you as much as it delighted me when Tangerine Tango arrived.

The tube, which has a square base and angular pull-off cover, is hefty. When I pulled it out of the inner packaging, I felt like I had a serious lipstick in my hand. The color scared me a bit. It looked very orange. How would it look on me, a cool-skinned blonde? Very nice, it turned out. It's bright, but because it offers shine and isn't entirely opaque, I can wear it. It makes my blue eyes blaze.

I took my swatch photos in late-afternoon sun. You can see saturated orange, and I hope you can see some shine. That shine isn't all sunlight.

My three photos all had different backgrounds and were taken in slightly different light exposures, which accounts for the differences in my skin color. Nevertheless, Tangerine Tango pops in every photo. You should know that it feels great on the lips. It's lightweight and has a very creamy feel - perfect in all respects.

If I want to tone it down, I can top it with a cool-toned lip gloss. I also discovered pretty quickly that I can use it as a stain by applying it, blotting, and then topping it with a peach gloss.

I think I'm going to wear it out of the house "straight up" and see what kind of reaction I get. I'm anticipating compliments. I often get them when I step outside my comfort zone. This time, I'll be stepping way outside the zone. I hate feeling "loud," but I'm betting that the look will work as the weather warms.

Whether tangerine is in your plans for the season or it's an experiment, you should consider this partnership between Sephora and Pantone. Tangerine Tango Crème Lipstick is gorgeous. Check it out at Sephora. The preview period has ended, so you can purchase it now. I'm still waiting for the other items in the collection to be available for sale.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Elysse said...

I am a cool toned brunette and for years I was only going for pinkish colours or blue reds. And then one day I felt a little crazy and bought a tangerine orange RMK lipstick. It had such a WOW effect I have since bought more orange lip products! It was so alive and different and I get many compliments! I am actually planning to do a review on all my orange loves and have taken pictures of a few.

Stepping outside comfort zones brings with it so many refreshing feelings, and I'm not only talking about lipstick or make up here!

lovethescents said...

I love oranges, as I might have mentioned before, and this one is simply gorgeous. The texture seems phenomenal too. Are you pairing this mostly with a neutral eye?

Kelly said...

I have been waiting for this to come out (the entire kit). I can't believe they offered it to VIB's and I didn't get the email. RAWRR!

lov2read68 said...

That is a seriously gorgeous lipstick! From the packaging to the tube to the lipstick itself. Way out of my comfort zone though! Need to see this in person first before springing for this. Thanks for the pictures!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Odyssey,

I got a chuckle out of that. I read it at lunchtime, and even though I didn't have time to respond then, it made my day! Yes, learn to take risks in life!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

Absolutely yes, but then I usually wear neutral eye shadows. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Kelly,

Did you just ignore the e-mail? I have a way of ignoring e-mails. It's the only way to maintain my sanity, since I get a combined 300/day.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, lov2read68!

I think you'll find it quite flattering. If anyone had told me I'd like a flaming orange lipstick, I'd have asked, "What are you smoking?"

nedia said...

I just got mine today, and omg, I love it. The texture, the color, and (you are so right) the packaging! I am a super-pale, cool-toned readhead, and it looks gorgeous on me. Can't wait to try it when the sun is out.

Charlestongirl said...

Isn't it amazing, Nedia? Glad you got yours. I suspect it will sell out.

Charlestongirl said...

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal...http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702304459804577281392370554560-lMyQjAxMTAyMDEwNTExNDUyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email

Kiran said...

oh my gosh I have to tell youI am absolutely drooling over these beautiful pantone shades! I love the shimmer of the blush! It would go so perfectly with my warm tones skin. The lipstick and the lipglosses look fabulous too! I sooo wish we had Sephora in the UK!! So gutted!