Monday, March 19, 2012

Suave Scalp Solutions Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner

Suave sent me a shampoo and conditioner from the Suave Scalp Solutions line - for testing and evaluation. I don't have dandruff (fortunately), so I wasn't sure how I could test the products adequately. I politely asked a few work colleagues if they would be willing testers, with an e-mail that started with, "This is a serious question." It was a little forward of me, given that I had never seen a flake on any of them. I did see one individual at work with a serious issue, but I didn't want to endanger my job by suggesting she could use some help.

According to Suave, people would rather clean the bathroom than admit to their partners they have dandruff. Men would rather see a bad haircut or messy hair than flakes on their ladies. Of the men surveyed, 90% reported they'd like to use a shampoo that would make them flake-free, so our guy friends are totally aware of scalp issues. Clearly, dandruff is a condition that bothers men and women equally. Suave has the perfect bathroom solution, to be shared by all members of the shower.

In the absence of a willing tester, I decided to try the Scalp Solutions Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner myself (the active ingredient, pyrithione zinc, wasn't going to hurt me). Wow! These nourishing hair-case products are luxuriously moisturizing. They leave my hair silky, shiny, and easy to comb out - without any loss of volume.

The Scalp Solutions line combines an effective dandruff-fighting ingredient with beautiful fragrances to make the hair-washing chore - daily for me - a delight. I tested Coconut & Shea Butter, which has a divine smell in the shower. Then it's gone - perfect! Coconut not your scent? Scalp Solutions are also available in Invigorating Mint & Eucalyptus and Ocean Minerals & Aloe Vera.

Suave recommends that you go easy on your scalp of you've got the flakes. You need to use the shampoo and conditioners together. Using Scalp Solutions with a regular conditioner defeats the purpose. They also recommend that you use a natural boar-bristle brush and gently brush your hair - again staying away from your irritated scalp. Check out their video on Facebook to learn more.

I used my Coconut & Shea Butter every day for two weeks. They are definitely gentle products, and I enjoyed my "test." I can't tell you whether they will banish flakes, but given my happiness with every Suave product I've ever used, I'll bet they will.

Now, I need to keep searching for an eager volunteer. It would be ashamed to let such a valuable treatment go to "waste" on me. I have reluctantly set aside the products for another person to try. I'll be continuing to observe my friends. The stars will align.

Suave Scalp Solutions Shampoo and Conditioner (priced in the $3-4 range each) are easy to find at mass market drugstores, grocery stores, and discount stores like Target and Walmart. They are also available at many online sources, including drugstore.com.

Photo courtesy of Suave Beauty

6 comments:

Bari said...

Wow - Suave is up to great things! Some time ago you wrote about Suave's Humectant Moisture styling products, which I immediately tried and loved. Recently, I found Suave's Humectant Moisture shampoo and conditioner, and decided to give it a go. I was astounded. The shampoo produced the richest, most luxuriant suds I have ever found - And the conditioner was as rich as an actual moisture-restoring treatment, but rinsed out without a residue. I bought extra bottles for my label-conscious 19 year old daughter, who predictably sneered, "Suave??" and put them back in my bathroom. A week later, she was out of her own products and borrowed them back. Not only did she recant her initial judgement, but bought an added supply to take back to college. Now, she and I both recommend Suave, and we'll try the dandruff formulas next winter. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bari,

I am a huge Suave fan, so I know what you mean. My bathroom is filled with super-expensive lines and Suave. I use the Weather 365 hair spray, which was discontinued, and I'm going to cry when I run out.

Since you are local, got any testers at your house? :)

Little Red said...

I definitely suffer from dandruff and alternate between Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment (dark blue bottle) and Nizoral AD. I still get flakes after I scratch my scalp. I was thinking of trying out the new Selsun Blue with the scrubby beads which also physically exfoliates the scalp.

Charlestongirl said...

Little Red,

I hope that exfoliator is gentle!

Bari said...

You bet I have testers!

Anonymous said...

I am in love love love with these two products! I have a dry scalp and wasn't able to condition my hair for years. Anytime I would try, my head would itch and end up so greasy that I'd give up again. But now I can condition every day and not have to worry ever again!!