Monday, March 26, 2012

NARS Paramaribo Duo Eyeshadow from the Spring 2012 Color Collection

NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Paramaribo ($34) for spring has earned its keep at my house - despite the fact that it doesn't look anything like what I expected. It's described as a metallic brass/metallic bronze duo, which is correct. It was the NARS photo, shown above, that threw me off. It looks like two green-toned shades, right? I wondered when the duo arrived it I had received the right product. The NARS photo at this link is more accurate, which reassured me.

My photo above was taken in full sun. It shows the two gorgeous shades in Paramaribo as my eye sees them. I had ordered Paramaribo the second it appeared on the NARS Web site - the same time I ordered Lhasa. I'm not sure why it took me so long to feature this pretty eye shadow duo here. Apparently, other things distracted me. Lhasa sure did; I adore it. Fast forward to this weekend, when I reached for Paramaribo to wear it, and it occurred to me that I had never posted it.

I swatched the duo shades heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator and took my photos in full sun. The shade on the left in the compact is shown at the top of my arm. It's a metallic antique brass that has, depending on the light, an ever-so-slight khaki hue in it. The beautiful metallic brown, a bit toned down in shimmering impact from the other shade, is a gorgeous, pure brown that will flatter all skin tones.

These shadows are finely milled and have a beautiful texture and finish. Unlike some NARS eye shadow misses during the last few years, Paramaribo adheres to the skin perfectly, leaving exactly the level of coverage you wish to apply. I found that I can apply both shades with a very light hand for a gleaming wash of color, or use them more heavily for a splash of bold neutral color. The only thing potentially missing is the green shown in the NARS promotional photo. I don't miss it!

If you haven't already given Paramaribo a look-see, check it out. It's available everywhere NARS can be found: at the NARS Web site, select Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom stores, Sephora, and other sources. I love it and think you will too. The shades are seasonless. You won't feel constrained to wear it only during the spring.

Photo at top courtesy of NARS; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Clarisse said...

I don't think I would have been brave enough to order it on seeing the 1st Nars photo!!!How different from the lovely shades you show us and this duo can be worn now, in summer or any time we feel like it: a good buy on the whole:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse,

Isn't it odd that they used such a misleading photo? Can you buy NARS in France?

Clarisse said...

Yes we can: either in Paris (department stores) or on line at Sephora's, but it can't be found easily in other shops. I usually buy Nars in Le Bon Marché in Paris where they are very competent to give advice about the products!

yesplease1816 said...

I actually think I may be passing on this one (watch, I'll probably end up with it next week...). I have about a zillion olive green/shimmery green/khaki green and bronze/shimmery brown shadows in my collection. However, I must admit that these shades do look really lovely and are right up my alley :)

Beauty Unearthly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beauty Unearthly said...

Wow,nice & bright colors!I want nars's eyeshadows=)thank you for swatches

lola seicento said...

Lovely pictures-- you really capture the depth and beauty of this duo. I bought this shortly after the launch and must say that I am even more in love with it now than I was when I bought it. It is my all time favorite NARS duo!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for highlighting this duo eyeshadow! How does it's khaki shade compare with Burberry's khaki sheer eyeshadow?

grlnxdor said...

I'm heading to Sephora next weekend and I would like this Nars duo or Dior's Smoky Khaki trio. I will be testing both hopefully. They seem similar to me. What do you think Charlestongirl?