Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pro Makeup Artist Guest Blog: Top 10 Picks for Fall 2010

Iris Moreau is a makeup artist who graciously volunteered to write a guest post for Best Things in Beauty. Here's her take on her "Top 10" picks for fall. Enjoy!

I love the vibrant, earthy colors of fall! This season is all about bold, deep reds and bright tangerines on the lips, with deep, intense purples and smoldery neutrals on the eyes. There's a trick: don't overwhelm your face with too much at once. Keep the focus on a strong, lip, or draw the attention to a sexy, smokey eye. With so many great products from which to to choose, I’ve made a short list of 10 of my fall 2010 favorites.

1. Chanel Pro Lumiere Professional Finish Makeup Foundation

For gorgeous glowing skin, Chanel Pro Lumiere Professional Finish Makeup is brilliant! The soft, light-reflecting, semi-matte formula evens out skin and provides a beautiful satin finish.

2. Fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 I love the natural Rosé tint of Fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment for a beautiful red stain on the lips. It’s super-soothing for dry, cracked lips and adds just enough color to wear with a smokey fall eye. Plus it has SPF 15.

3. Dior Addict Lip Color in Violet Reflection

The perfect Fall plum! The smooth, weightless texture and pigment-rich high-impact color of Dior Addict Lip Color in Violet Reflection give lips beautiful berry coverage that lasts.

4. MAC Ruby Woo Lipstick

The bold and vibrant blue-red color of MAC Ruby Woo Lipstick is flattering for almost all skin tones. It’s my pick for the perfect fall red.
5. Urban Decay The Naked Palette

Far from boring, Urban Decay The Naked Palette is stocked with 12 gorgeous neutrals. Beautiful champagnes, gorgeous plums, and smoky gunmetals, in textures from shimmery to matte; you’ll have everything you need in one smart, sleek compact to recreate fall's smoldering eyes.

6. MAC Venomous Villains Collection Her Alter Image Eyeshadow

This deep shade of violet purple from this limited-edition eye shadow by MAC is intense and vibrant, and a little goes a long way. Apply dry for a deep wash of violet or wet for even more intensity. Experiment!

7. Chanel Blush Joues Contraste

In two delicious shades, “Plum Attraction” and “Mocha,” Chanel Blush Joues Contraste has a beautiful silky texture and glides on easily for soft, buildable color. Sweep onto cheeks and temples for a gorgeous glow.

8. Anastasia Clear Eye Brow Gel

This fall, fuller brows are back, and Anastasia Clear Eye Brow Gel is fabulous for taming unruly hairs. Chock-full of botanicals and essential oils, it keeps even the most wayward strays in place.

9. Lancome High Definicils High Definition Mascara Black/Noir

For long, defined lashes without the false eyelashes, nothing beats Lancome High Definicils High Definition Mascara. It’s ultra-smooth brush provides impeccable application and extreme definition and length for extra fabulous lashes!

10. Lancome Art Liner Noir

The easy-to-use liquid pen in Lancome’s Art Liner Noir and its super-precise foam tip let you literally draw your desired line and shape. The deeply pigmented color dries quickly and won’t fade. I love the look of beautifully lined eyes, paired with a strong red lip.

Makeup should be fun as well as functional, and this fall’s fabulous colors present the perfect opportunity to break away from your normal routine and try something new and different. Create a strong, sexy statement and wear your look with confidence. The sky’s the limit on how you express yourself, so be daring, experiment, and play!

Good advice from Iris for makeup lovers everywhere! Interested in more from Iris? Check out her blog, The Makeup Artist Blog.

My thanks to Iris - I hope you enjoyed her fall feature. She reminded me that I never showed you The Naked Palette, which I purchased the second it was available. Love it!

13 comments:

Eileen said...

Hi Iris,

Thank you for the lovely, concise post, Iris. We can always count on Charlestongirl to bring us information that is au current such as yours.

I, too, noticed an abundane of tangerine lips on the Spring 2011 runways and, of course, the fashion mags have been quick to embrace the look. It is such a beautiful color and yet it can be very difficult to wear as it tends to make teeth look yellow. It will be interesting to see how the cosmetic companies interpret this trend to make it wearable. Unlike the runway models who never smile, those of us in the real world laugh and smile all the time :-D

Eileen said...

Off topic, but . . . Charlestongirl, since you were late in receiving word about Sephora's FF event, I wanted to give you the heads up that VIB invitations have gone out. 20% off on-line or in-store from Nov. 11- 15.

So, ladies, if you regret not getting something during FF, you've got a second chance so long as you're a VIB or you have a friend who is one.

Miss Brahms said...

I absolutely agree with Iris about the Lancome Defincils High Definition and the Artliner - I had a customer the other day who absolutely was taken by the Artliner Sparkling Noir - a thin black line yet with a depth provided by the slight sparkle - a MUST for the holidays. The Fresh Lip Treatment is a huge winner too - I think I sell about one of these a day, and the customer always marches in knowing exactly what they are looking for. I would ask Iris' opinion about the difference between the Chanel foundation she loves and the Armani Luminous Silk that I am addicted to - the word "matte" scares me, as I have such dry skin. I'd like to know what she thinks about Armani's foundation and cream blush duo - as I veer away from powder blush.
Love reading these expert tips on BtiB, c-girl!! Keep 'em coming!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I thought I was irritated at work this morning when nitwits "jumped in front of a moving train" (figuratively). Now, given that I have to be among Sephora's highest-spending VIBs (I'd put money on that), and I have not received that notice either, I am apoplectic. :)

It appears Sephora just doesn't know how to treat its customers. If we had the start-up capital, I think we could give them a run for their money.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Miss Brahms, you gals should have been busy in the mall today - driving rain sent everyone inside. :)

I have asked Iris to sign on to answer your question.

Eileen, from what I have seen, the tangerine will be provided in hues ranging from pink-orange to very orange in an attempt to provide one for every skin tone. I doubt that's a trend I'll be adopting. Tangerine is not my color.

You know that we see exaggerated beauty and fashion trends on the runways, and by the time most of them make it to a retail environment, they have been tamed. The same corals that graced cheeks and lips last spring will re-appear.

Miss Brahms said...

Tom Ford has a tangerine lip color that looks good on a few people i've seen - NOT ME, but i can see it's appeal. I don't like any extreme lip color on me - i think i need a makeup artist to convince me that a bright or a dark color would look good on me! I always reach for the same color -and when i do a lipstick inventory and purge at home, my colors invariably are mauvy-browny-nudes. I do like exotic glosses though - maybe it is the permanency issue? I don't know. There must be a name for this affliction - maybe a rut?

Valerie H. said...

It's so funny (funny/strange not funny/ha ha) that I am craving that UD Naked palette, because it is SO much like the gazillion "naked" Bobbi Brown palettes I already own. I guess we are just "doomed to repeat the past"!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi there, Val!

We neutral lovers always believe there is "the prefect beige." :)

Iris Moreau said...

Eileen, you are correct in that overly tangerine lips can sometimes give a yellowish cast to the teeth. I like shades with more of a bluish tone myself, like YSL's Orange Shimmer.

For a more wearable version of the tangerine trend, mix a little bit of your bright orange shade with a blue-red color(Channel Passion, and MAC Ruby Woo are both great!) to tone down the Orange and deepen the color. :-)

Iris Moreau said...

Miss Brahms,

Chanel Pro Lumiere, is actually semi-matte, not matte, and is very good for dryer skin. It contains hydrating emolliants that reflect light and really give a beautiful "dewy" finish to the skin. I love Armani as well, but the light reflecting pigments in Chanel Pro are pretty amazing!

I have both Chanel, and Armani foundations in my kit, and use them for different shoots depending on the particular "look" I'm going for. For sheer, light coverage I might reach for the Armani, and for more of a "reflecting canvas" effect, the Chanel.

I'm a big fan of cream blush, and the Armani Cream Blush is one of the best I've tried recently. The colors blend very smoothly onto the skin, and aren't sticky at all. It's got a nice, creamy texture and gives a really soft glow to the skin. I use it alot to create a fresh babydoll "flush" on the models.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

Love this post. I enjoy top ten lists and having a new view is wonderful. Thanks to Iris for some great ideas.

Iris Moreau said...

I am looking forward to trying out Armani's new fall line as well! The colors are so rich and intense, perfect for this season's bold looks and I can't wait to use them on my next shoot! Charlestongirl, I loved contributing to BTiB, and would be honored to do so again. I'm so happy that your kitty is doing better..I have three fur balls of my own and am very attached to them. Have a wonderful weekend:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Marcia and Iris,

Iris, I hadn't even had a chance to ask, but thank you, and we will enjoy future posts!

Savannah's seizure was nothing compared to Mom's blood pressure crisis. Savannah is fine, and Mom is now getting better - thanks. I need to curl up with Charlie furball and get some sleep.

Thanks to you too, Marcia! I loved the Top 10 for all post.