Monday, November 8, 2010

YSL TOUCHE D'OR Golden Touch Highlighter for the Face for Holiday 2010

YSL's TOUCHE D'OR Golden Touch/Highlighter for Face ($40) was re-introduced for Holiday 2010. This limited-edition liquid highlighter in a shimmering gold made its first appearance for the holiday season last year. It's back, and with its re-emergence, there has been an "outcry" from its fans, including YSL reps who sell it, to make it part of the permanent collection. It is amazingly popular and is selling out at the department stores. Once you get your hands on a tester, you'll see why.

Taking inspiration from the YSL Metallic Colorama Collection, this highlighter is literally liquid gold for the face. Offering a lovely, overall illuminating effect for the complexion, TOUCHE D'OR looks lovely by day (apply lightly) and glowing by night (feel free to apply more liberally). The shade works for everyone - from pale faces like me to the darkest of skins. Everyone looks good in gold! With gold at $1400 per ounce, makeup may be the only type of gold I'll be buying for now.

Like its iconic Touche Éclat sister, TOUCHE D'OR is a click pen. Click the bottom gizmo, and the product fills the brush. Click it a lot, and you'll get a lot of product on the brush. Click it just a time or two, and your brush will apply less color. The control is in the click. For me, less is always more, so I start with a little and find it goes a long way by the time I blend it. I blend it with its own brush, but use my fingers to finish the application if needed. It is seriously stunning on the high side of my cheekbones and under my brows. It never creases or looks heavy. The consistency is perfect, and the gold glimmer lights up my face. Hear me gushing?

I took several swatch photos for you and selected the two best. The photo at right was taken outside after the sun had dipped below the tree line, and the photo at left below was taken inside. I'm experimenting now that I'm losing my late-afternoon sun. For both photos, I applied TOUCHE D'OR using its own brush, unblended at the top of each photo and blended lightly with my finger below. You can blend this lovely highlighter with ease, and you will probably blend it more "in real life" than I did for the photos. My goal was to show you the magnificent shade.

TOUCHE D'OR appears to be a pink-gold in the photo taken outside, and there is a very slight hint of pink on my skin before it's blended. The pink disappears when I blend the highlighter. The shades shown in the photo taken indoors are more representative of the product color - gold and gorgeous.

If you love Touche Éclat, you are going to love TOUCHE D'OR. I purchased my first one from Sephora during Friends & Family, and I am plotting my second purchase. Maybe I can buy a second at Neiman Marcus this week - just in case YSL doesn't hear the love songs. Surely they would want to make this beauty a permanent part of the line! Any YSL marketing reps "listening"?

You can purchase TOUCHE D'OR at Sephora (VIB discount coming up, the news thanks to Eileen), Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, and all YSL counters. Go look at it before it's gone!

Don't forget the Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie Holiday Beauty Soiree this Wednesday from 3:00 to 8:00 pm. Mention Best Things in Beauty in person or while placing a phone order, and you will receive a special bag of beauty samples and be entered into a drawing for a beauty gift basket worth $400. If you live near me, you really need to go. It's going to be fun!

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora

7 comments:

MarciaF said...

Beautiful and I love Touche Eclat. How similar is it to the Marchesa ones you purchased though? I'm wondering if I need two similar products. Thanks.

Eileen said...

Ah, Touche D'Or! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways: 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . 6,452, 6,453, 6,454, 6,455 . . . :-)

When I first saw this, I thought it might duplicate my favorite Armani Fluid Sheer #2 in effect, but as soon as I swatched it, I knew it was quite different and deserved a place of honor amongst my evening make-up selections. I love the look of a golden eyelid, but at my age, I can no longer wear anything too glittery on my lids. Touche D'Or proved to be the perfect solution. Applying it is like painting the lid with liquid gold. Subtle glimmers of soft gold? Check! Bold glints of pure gold? Check! Golden drama to rival Fort Knox? Check! Touch D'Or is limited only by your imagination.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marcia, different - very different in color/tone/gleam. Of course, that answer comes from someone who studies the nuances in products.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, we should all write YSL and demand to keep it!

MarciaF said...

VIB discount, here I come!

Charlestongirl said...

Good idea, Marcia! I love discounts.

I know the code, thanks to Eileen. Sephora never sent it to me. I sent them a snarky e-mail this week asking whether my thousands of dollars/year bored them. :)

Semona said...

Lovely shimmering gold highlighter.