Tuesday, November 23, 2010

M·A·C A Tartan Tale Face Kits for Holiday 2010

I'm still on a M·A·C A Tartan Tale roll. A Tartan Tale is, without a doubt, my favorite-ever M·A·C collection. I suppose that doesn't say much, since I'm not a M·A·C groupie (the term used with love), but I do appreciate certain items from M·A·C, and I have fallen hard for A Tartan Tale. Yes, the packaging is beyond "appealing," explaining my enchantment (see the compact photo below), but the makeup inside is enticing too. What I particularly love about these Face Kits is the range of shades in one color family. I suspect they will become reach-for compacts.

I bought two limited-edition Face Kits. I had to get them from M·A·C online because Nordstrom had sold out. My favorite of the two is Hark the Heraldry ($38). The red plaid, tartan double-decker compact with its M∙A∙C crest speaks of the regal lineage of this fabulous face trio! Highlight, contour, perfect, and shimmer, with a heraldic mix of Oh So Fair Beauty Powder, Plum Foolery Sheertone Shimmer Blush, and Dame Powder Blush (shown left to right in the palette photo above).

That's the order in which I swatched them. They were applied to my arm with a large sponge-tipped applicator intended for eye shadows. I took my photo in full sun. The Face Kits provide a range of blushers with a color theme. Simply put, the theme of Hark the Heraldry is pink. The other day, I wore a red jacket to work. You may know that pinky-pink blush looks garish with a red jacket; I need something with more brown in it. Dame worked perfectly. As you can see on my arm, it's very neutral. It looked great!

Yes, I am one of those women who ensures that her makeup doesn't clash with her outfit. I have read that I'm not supposed to do that, but the fashion gods will just have to nash their teeth. I can't imagine wearing bright pink blush with a red jacket, looking like Betty Boop, that sweet and seductive baby-doll, but without the looks (or cleavage) of Cara Bow to distract the eye from the mismatch.

I also ordered A Triumphant Blush ($38). It was one of those situations in which I couldn't make up my mind and didn't want to miss out. This kit includes the warm, peach tones of Smooth Harmony Beauty Powder, Peachtwist Sheertone Shimmer Blush, and Melba Powder Blush. Just click on the link to see it. They also work nicely on me, but will be best saved for next summer. On the other hand, they look darn good with brown, one of my winter wardrobe staples!

You can find these at MAC's Web site. At this point, I'm not sure about the list of M·A·C stores, or Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's stores, that still have them in stock. Call ahead.

Photos courtesy of M·A·C, except for my arm

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi CharlestonGirl! I have been really pleased with my Tartan Tale purchases (pigment set and palettes) and am enjoying your reviews of the collection. While I rarely wear blush this trio is tempting. Incidentally, while I don't *match* my makeup and ensemble, neither do I like them to go in very different directions, eg cool outfit with warm tones on my face. I'm right there with you on finding that discordant.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi there, Daseined!

So glad another of us thinks about color coordination. :)

I like the trio because it has three totally wearable shades.

I didn't buy any of the pigments. I am not very good with them (in general), and the ones I saw at Nordstrom all had a glitter finish. Did they have others?

I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving too! Have a lovely weekend!

Unknown said...

very pretty swatches. MAC is one brand everyone seems to rave about but i never saw anything i just must buy. maybe it's for the better :)

Charlestongirl said...

Anna, if you are trying to avoid spending, then you can live without a lot of things. When I was in grad school, I spent only what was necessary (well, except for shoes). The thing I like about this compact is that it has three shades for the price of one high-end blusher. That's good value.

Happy Thanksgiving!