Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Stila Açaí Crush Lip & Cheek Stain

Recently, I purchased Stila's Açaí Crush Lip & Cheek Stain ($24). It sounded fun, and I love Stila makeup. Here's what enticed me.

We can all use a little boost over the holidays...and thanks to our latest addition to the Stila Crush family, which comes infused with Açaí, one of the richest super-fruits in the world, you can get the boost you need with a click of a pen. Known for its amazing healthy benefits, Açaí is celebrated for its high levels of antioxidants and immunity-boosting powers. It also helps protect cells from free radical damage to keep skin looking younger longer.

Our latest Crush delivers a rich, vibrant red color, a not-so-
subtle, but still perfectly sheer stain that is super long-lasting. Açaí Crush also happens to be super smart too. The formula reacts with the pH level of the skin to create the perfect pop of color on the lips and the cheeks that is uniquely you.

Infuse your holidays with a
nourishing color fix that has incredible staying power. This is a must-have Lip & Cheek Stain for a beautiful, naturally rosy flush.

Sounds fabulous, right? I love Stila - I just bought a box full of new items, and I'm very pleased with all of them, with one exception. I learned that some descriptions have clues, hints that you should heed. Now that I've tried Açaí Crush Lip & Cheek Stain, I can tell you that Stila wasn't kidding when they used these terms.
  • Not-so-subtle
  • Super long-lasting
  • Incredible staying power
I think this stain was made for: 1) women who have trouble with blushers that disappear a few hours after application, 2) those who want a "serious" stain on their lips and/or cheeks, and 3) beauties with dark complexions. I match none of these criteria.

Let's take a look at the "kapow" color. On my arm at right, I swatched Açaí Crush with no blending - just applied straight to my arm with the brush - and blended below. You can see that it's very dark and bright, something I discovered after applying it to my cheeks. It's too bright for me. It's also way too long-lasting.

To demonstrate, I thoroughly washed it off with soap and water, giving my arm a gentle scrub. The photo of the result is at left. I had blended it with my finger, and my finger was still bright pink, which you can see below. Next, I used long-wear makeup remover that wouldn't touch it. Then I used an exfoliating body scrub. I was able to remove most of the blended stain, but the pink stripe is still on my arm and is likely to be for days. The things I do for you!

The Stila Web site provides tips for application, and they recommend that you use your fingers or Stila's #27 brush to apply it evenly. I wouldn't recommend that you use your fingers unless you don't mind looking like you were fingerpainting that day). I would also caution you to avoid using a brush that you love - you will dye it bright pink. Interestingly, there are no removal tips.

My final photo was taken after I had tried all of the measures mentioned above to remove it. A little lasting flush on your cheeks or lips isn't so bad. Having one on your arm and fingers isn't nearly as attractive. Whatever you do, don't get it on your clothing!

Need a blush that won't melt? Lip color that stains? Have a dark complexion? This is your makeup! What do you think? Anyone going to try it?

You can purchase Stila products at Stila's Web site, Sephora, SkinStore, and Beauty.com.

Photo at top courtesy of Stila

5 comments:

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

Thanks for the warning. I know it would be way too bright for me too.

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, given your photos, this is not the stain for you. :)

Leigh said...

I chuckled that you "took one for the team"!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh, That's a good way of looking at it. I added to the pink stripe with real blood above it as I picked up Savannah at midnight last night as she was in the throws of a seizure (she's epileptic). Nice claw marks on my arm now. I guess the pink stripe can remind me to swatch below the injury zone.

Leigh said...

So sad about your S-cat - - you are a special human to help her out. Don't forget to photo her for us one day - - -