Friday, November 26, 2010

Don't Try This at Home: Orange Eyelids

The magazine editors have deemed the orange eyelids shown at Derek Lam's Spring 2010 show the cat's meow. I first saw them in WWD's Beauty Biz and thought, "How bizarre!" Then, they appeared at Lucky. Now, "tropical" eyelids are featured in the December issue of Allure, where you can find orange, bright lime green, and all kinds of bright colors billed as spring's tropical "it" trends from the runway.

Translating the runway to real life will be difficult. Tom Pecheux may be able to make a gorgeous model look exotic with orange eyelids (Visine nearby, I'm sure), but it's likely you will draw stares - and not the kind you'd prefer. I have found orange lids dubbed "completely wearable" by bloggers who published Estée Lauder's press release. I guess that makes me a contrarian.

Orange will be a big color again this spring, and Lam's orange belts were stunning. The models? There's no doubt that orange can make blue eyes look very blue. Adopt the trend, but use peach on your eyelids. Break down, if you didn't last spring, and buy an orange-toned lipstick, lip gloss, or blusher. There will be many new ones from which to choose. You won't scare your family, friends, colleagues, or pet if you keep the orange off your eyes - and you certainly won't risk commitment.

Would you wear bright orange eye shadow?

Photo courtesy of Estée Lauder by way of Lucky

8 comments:

Suzy said...

Yes! I have fair skin and red hair and it looks great. It really brings out the green in my hazel eyes.

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
I agree with you, it's one of the most difficult colors to wear (you must be 20 to get away with it!)
It looks beautiful on models in magazines but so weird in real life!
Recently though I have seen a make-up by Shiseido with one of this season's famous trio (black, orange and beige/grey) and it was lovely because the orange was blended with the lighter color. Otherwise it's best to keep coral for lipstick or blush and then it can be stunning!

Ebontien said...

It reminds me of the Givenchy's upcoming spring collection...and Guerlain's from a couple years ago as both had eyeshadow quads in tropical colours of brown, green, orange, and pink.

I think the hardest part is finding the right hue and shade of orange to work with your skin tone.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suzy, yes, it will make your green eyes green, and I hope you found the right shade of orange.

I read a hilarious blog post today, and the blogger recounted the reactions she got when she wore orange shadow. Let's just say, they weren't what one might hope. Here's the link: http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/03/09/we-try-it-traffic-cone-orange-eyeshadow/

Charlestongirl said...

Hi there, Clarisse, we are all recovering from overeating - an American habit on holidays. :)

I was struck by the Allure page that showed bright tropical shades that were just too theatrical for my tastes. Orange blended down could be pretty on anyone, but the runways featured flaming orange.

There's an Armani orange that I'll bet Loyd could make look good! I think I'll stick to the tamer pastels.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ebontein!

Yes, there are a lot of bright shades coming our way, and skin tone makes a HUGE difference. My chocolate-skinned friends can wear all the DayGlo colors and look pretty snazzy. I would look like a fashion victim. :)

Eileen said...

Would I rock an orange eye? Not only would I; but I already do! I have fair skin with peach undertones and deep moss green eyes so I really love it.

We all know that magazine and runway looks are there to inspire us, not lead us to blindly copy. That being said, this is what this 62 year old does:

I use Estee Lauder's Summer Linen as a base color. It's a matte and is similar to Chanel's Vanilla but a bit warmer. Next I use MAC's Rule which is a matte burnt orange. I begin applying the color at the iris (to keep it light in the inner corners of my eyes) and over the lid up to and into the crease. I use Edward Bess'Escape in the crease and in the V. It's a warm, fox-brown with just a hint of shimmer. Chanel's Ivory goes on the brow bone to add some sparkle and lift. Then Blend! I use charcoal liner and black mascara to finish it. Modesty aside, I get lots of compliments when I do this particular look. And no one mentions the orange I'm wearing. They just say I have beautiful eyes.

Charlestongirl said...

Now that sounds nice, Eileen! I think the huge difference is that you don't make the orange the dominant shade, and you don't take it into the inside corner of the lid, which makes the eyes look red. I looked at hundreds of Derek Lam photos, and I couldn't find one in which the gals looked sharp.

You gals with green eyes seem to be the best candidates! Between you and Suzy, we have two orange fans. Ever tried the Armani orange (Maestro #5, I think)?