Wednesday, November 10, 2010

La Mer The Concentrate - My Addiction

I have an expensive addiction. It's one I can't break. Like most addicts, though, I don't really want to break it. I want to savor it, every last drop of it.

La Mer's The Concentrate ($350) is my addiction. It's a part of my life now. I attribute many good things about my appearance to The Concentrate. And whether my younger-than-I-really-am skin is a result of La Mer, my genes, or the other products I use, I won't take the chance to find out.

Billed as "a revolutionary treatment that complements skin's natural healing process," The Concentrate is a serum that envelopes the skin in moisture. From everything I read, it's intended for skin that needs to heal - from something like cosmetic surgery, sunburn, scarring, or other assault.

To complement skin's natural healing process and improve the appearance of scars, thoroughly massage onto affected area at least twice per day.

Even if I stray from The Concentrate during the summer, using a lighter product, I return in the fall, when the air turns crisp and dry. My skin tells me it's time to pull out the heavy-duty treatment, and it works every time.

La Mer reps want me to use The Lifting Face Serum ($315), whether I need "lifting" or not. That's the much-loved La Mer firming serum, targeted at people over 40. I have friends (men and women who aren't sagging) who swear by it. I've tried the silky lifting elixir, and I like it. No complaints! But I don't need two serums each morning, and I'm addicted - so I stick with my first love.

The Concentrate is a thick liquid. It comes with an applicator that stays dipped into the bottle so that users can "withdraw" just the right amount for the face and neck. A little of the liquid goes a long way, spreading comfortably over my skin. Once I have applied The Concentrate, I need less Crème de la Mer ($230) or other moisturizer. My thirsty skin slurps the first product that goes on, so The Concentrate is its first drink of the morning after a light cleansing in the shower.

Many will say that La Mer isn't the most advanced, up-to-date product on the market. I've heard it all - no hyaluronic acid, no peptides, and so on. Perhaps, but I use a multi-layered cocktail twice a day to get all the cosmeceuticals I need, while staying true to The Concentrate most mornings. I've tried to go without it, but after a few weeks, my skin shouts, "Get me some help, I'm dry!"

Right now, I am finishing up a bottle. The applicator no longer reaches the product. That's OK. I'm adept at reaching my finger into the bottle to get the last remaining product out before the bottle is recycled. I have my next full bottle ready to go. I try to purchase The Concentrate when Saks is having Friends & Family or at some other fabulous event with a discount. Every dollar saved allows me to continue my addiction!

You can purchase The Concentrate at La Mer's Web site, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and other sources. There is usually a freebie or two with purchase at La Mer online, and Saks and Neiman Marcus sometimes have gifts with purchase. You can usually talk a friendly La Mer rep out of a sample of something when you buy. They know how addictive their products are.

Photo courtesy of La Mer

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Whoa. As a blogger, I find that things I once thought expensive, no longer make my wallet and I recoil in terror. Fifty dollar concealer? No problem! $80 sunscreen, sign me up! $200 hairdryer, umm, sure! But I think you have found the price point that makes me afraid to proceed. I'm slightly scared to try La Mer because of it's addictive nature and high price point. Although you do make it sound enticing....

Charlestongirl said...

LOL - Kelly, maybe your skin isn't dry enough to make the plunge. Be thankful!

I would rather do without all those new lipsticks than my La Mer Concentrate. What good is cool makeup if your skin is peeling/flaking/dull/tight?

Kelly said...

So true. I think my skin is pretty dry. Maybe I should take the plunge???

Charlestongirl said...

Wait for a F&F sale or gift card event. At least you'll "save" money, and those events are frequent enough.

Eileen said...

La Mer is the quintessential dry skin remedy. As you mentioned, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles for which the cosmeceuticles are known, but it is soothing and healing which is a godsend when the skin is being assailed by dry, harsh weather conditions or heavy-duty retinoids. I don't use it daily, but when the air is dry or my skin is stressed for any reason, it's the first thing I pull out of my "skin care" drawer.

As for it's cost, it isn't nearly as expensive as one might think because a little bit goes such a long way. When I first started using La Mer many, many years ago, the SA showed me how to take a pea sized amount, warm it between my fingers to help it liquify, and then apply it to my face. I also use it on my neck and décolleté. A 2 oz. jar lasts me a year!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Can I simply say Ditto?

Good point about a little going a LONG way. My La Mer products last much longer than my MEG 21 must-haves.

so said...

There are other great products out there that don't cost and arm and a leg. I could never afford La Mer. It's nice some people are able to spend the money.

I just tried Vichy's new Aqualia deoxidising fresh treatment. It was about forty five dollars if I remember correctly. I had more comments then I can remember in along time. I was told how beautiful I looked. People I didn't know said hello. It was weird. But most of all I loved how my skin looked, Smooth and glowing.

Charlestongirl said...

Good selection, So! Vichy makes great skin care.

Eileen said...

Hi So, Eileen here.

There are some wonderful products out there at all different price points. I love La Mer, but I also love the anti-aging serum by Jack Black (ostensibly for men). It's got peptides, antioxidants, moisturizing and skin tone evening ingredients, etc. and it's only $60 for 2 ounces. And, with Sephora's VIB 20% off sale, it' s quite the bargain. It all goes to show that no matter how much or how little a person is willing or able to spend, there are effective skin care products to be found.

Unknown said...

i am always tempted to try new skincare (new to me, at least) but from what i heard La Mer is not the best for oily congested acne-prone skin like mine. i get flaky patches during winter but my t-zone is always shiny. i guess La Mer would not do much for me- or so i say to myself :)

Unknown said...

I love this post. My skin has been quite red and reactive as of late, and I found a sample I had of this. Wow! My skin was immediately soothed, and redness gone. I ponied up for the large bottle and am so glad I did. Worth every penny! Do you use any other serums with it at night, like a Retinol?