Sunday, September 13, 2009

Let's Talk about Stains!

I mean cheek and lip stains, not the dry-cleaning variety. Many stains are multipurpose and can be used on both cheeks and lips. Others focus on either cheeks or lips, although you can use lip stains on your cheeks. Unless the product says you can use a cheek stain on your lips, I wouldn't recommend it.

Over the last week, I have played with various stains. I will admit that stains have been one trend that I have only toyed with in the past - never got serious about them. That may change with Suki's Pure Cream Stain [for] Lip and Cheek. I told you recently that I had purchased this stain from Beautorium. I had to try one after reading Amber's review, and, like Amber, I choose Nectar. I love it!

Suki's pure pigments transform on the skin into vivid neutral colors with natural shimmers, making your skin look like your own skin - only better. Packed with organic omega oils and extracts, this super-moisturizing, velvety cream tint is specifically formulated for all skin tones. It works really well for me because it's so creamy. My skin is dry, and I need some slip with my cream products. The stain is exceptionally blendable. I used my foundation brush to apply it, but you can use the Sukicolor puff or your fingers if you like. The stain imparts a gentle chamomile aromatheraputic fragrance that is a nice bonus during application, a very light and natural scent, and it's gone before you know it (perfect). Used on the lips, the formula is lip quenching and hydrating without any heaviness or waxiness. Because it has a bit of glow, the color isn't "flat."

Now, I want more colors! I think Sandstone may be next. There is a lot of product in the jar, which is priced at $40.15, so it will last a long time.

I also got my hands on a deluxe sample of Laura Merciers' Lip Stain ($20), courtesy of Chris Coles, my Nordstrom go-to guy for makeup. Laura Mercier Lip Stain is said to provide the visual effect of a stain with the comfort and sheen of a lip gloss. I wouldn't go quite that far to compare it to a lip gloss, but it is creamy for a stain. The sample Chris gave me was Mulberry, and it's a nice color - just a bit darker than I usually wear. If I were purchasing one, I think I would select English Rose. I like the online swatch, and I like the name too.

I used my finger to apply this one. The little pot was small, and I didn't have a lip brush handy. After application, I decided I needed a touch of gloss over it, so I used lip gloss just in the center of my lips. The overall effect was pretty, and the color lasted a long time.

The third stain I used this week was Tarte's Green Siren Limited Edition Natural Cheek Stain ($30). I'm sure you know that Tarte is famous for their fabulous cheek stains. They come in solid colors and swirled, and they provide long-lasting, buildable color. The application is completely “goof proof” – unlike traditional stains, these will not streak, leak, or drip. You have about 20 seconds of blending time before it dries down for a finish that's so natural! These cheek stains won't dry out your skin or clog your pores. I have several - love them all.

Green Siren is advertised as "golden apricot." That's an accurate description, but don't let it scare you if you have cool-toned skin like me. It will work for you. I applied it with my foundation brush - the same Bobbi Brown brush I used to apply the Suki stain.

The Tarte t5 super fruit complex in the cheek stain is a proprietary blend of five "superfruits" - goji, acai, maracuja, acerola, and pomegranate - that together are an effective blend of naturally occurring, antioxidant-rich nutrients and vitamins. Each application is good for your skin. Not only that, with the purchase of every Tarte Green Siren stain, you will support Sambazon's Sustainable Acai Project, which helps to preserve the Amazon Rainforest through conservation, improved living conditions, and educational opportunities for communities in Brazil. I like that!

Suki stains are available at Beautorium. Laura Mercier stains are available on the Laura Mercier Web site and at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and other department stores. Tarte cosmetics are available from Tarte online and Sephora.

I'd love to know if you have tried cheek or lip stains and what you think.

Photos courtesy of Beautorium and Tarte Cosmetics.

2 comments:

Lexi said...

I love Tarte! I use their Tickled stain and I love it. It is the perfect color... Very natural.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lexi, isn't Tickled wonderful? It is "the perfect color." That and about five others Tarte makes. :)