Monday, April 9, 2012

Guerlain Shine Automatique Hydrating Lip Shine

Guerlain has a new superstar. Shine Automatique Hydrating Lip Shine ($35), the latest lipstick formula, offers shine and sparkle in colors so luscious you'll have trouble selecting only one. I did. Look at the assortment I purchased!

For the fun and flirty girl who wants to add a little sparkle into her life, Guerlain introduces Shine Automatique. This moisturizing and long-lasting lipstick combines bold color with pearly particles to give your lips discreet yet exceptional shine. Lips are left soft, smooth, and luminous.

The lipsticks employ Guerlain's unique and successful Rouge Automatique core formula and tube. The color emerges from the gold tube when you slide a lever, which opens the cap and reveals the color bullet. You can push the lever up only as far as you need to use the lipstick and not break it.

The formula features:
  • Sensory oils and waxes with different fusion points that gradually liquify during application, depending on the temperature of your lips -  the result is a soft film that becomes one with the skin, offering impeccable coverage that isn't thick or heavy;
  • Non-opaque crystal pigments that make it possible to obtain luminous and clear colors, resulting transparent radiance without any whitening or frosty effect;
  • Various shimmering pearly particles that boost the lips with exceptional shine.

This sheer, shiny, and hydrating formula will capture your heart - just like Rouge Automatique did. I'm completely smitten. My five selections, shown above from left to right are Mi-Mai (#202), Rose Impérial (#261), Extrait de Rose (#262), Rose Pompon (#264), and Pao Rosa (#265). I tried to select at least one from each color family: beiges, reds, oranges, and pinks.

I had a tough time getting swatches of all five on my arm - that plus these gorgeous sheer lip colors don't really pop on a photo. I swatched in the same order described above. Mi-Mai (described as a neutral pink) is the brown-rose at the top of my arm. I had started to look at another brown shade, but my wonderful Guerlain representative stopped me and told me that she thought Mi-Mai would be better for me. She was so right! Below Mi-Mai is Rose Impérial, described as a rosy pink. To me, it look like a pink-toned peach, and it was displayed among the corals and orange shades. Isn't it beautiful?

The photo directly above shows full-on sunlight and the reflective finish of these lipsticks with direct light exposure. The third shade down on my arm is Extrait de Rose. Although described as a rosy pink, I'd call it a pale pink. Rose Pompon is a mauve-pink on my skin. Pao Rosa, is actually a gorgeous plum. I'll try to post some close-ups of the shades as soon as possible. Long story why I was unable to do that today. For now, just click on the swatch photos to enlarge them.

What do you think? I think this is an exciting launch. I purchased my Shine Automatiques at Neiman Marcus. They are also available at select Sephora, Bergdorf Goodman, and Saks locations.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

34 comments:

shontay07108 said...

I have 2 of these: 220 and 240. One is a coral and the other is red. I love these. Never been a huge Guerlain fan,but some of their recent products are very exciting.

I have brown lips, but these lipsticks are surprisingly pigmented, though still on the light side. They also wear well and I love the brilliant shine. I also appreciate the fragrance is toned down as opposed to the original automatique lipsticks. I'm going back for a couple more of these.

Eileen said...

Oh! You got the beautiful Mi-Mai! Isn't it splendid? As for the pinks, I knew you'd be hard pressed to pick just one or two. I've already blathered on about my Mi-Mai and Pampelune in last weeks Forum so I' won't go into it all of that again. Suffice it to say, these transparent sparking colors will flatter so many women. I've been wearing my two for a week now and plan on going back for more. As for the frequent reapplication that these sheer formulas require, no problem. They're effortless, swipe and go colors. Love, love, love RA Shine <3

Adele said...

I didn't want to like these - I was hoping to hear that the formula was mediocre... HA. Now I want about five.

morelikespace said...

Wonderful choices! Although they aren't for sale yet here, I did get to see and swatch them. Rose Imeriale and Pao Rosa were my favourites and will definitely be coming home with me.

Now the big question... If you had to choose these or the Rouge d'Armani sheers, which would you pick?

Charlestongirl said...

Yea, Shontay! Ditto on the fragrance!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I will end up with more shades, maybe Pampelune, before much time passes. Fantastique!

Charlestongirl said...

You are a wise woman, Adele.

Charlestongirl said...

Kate, seriously? You want me to make a Soloman's choice? Guerlain and Armani may be my top two lines, even more exciting than Chanel overall. I'd rather starve than choose.

Jessica said...

I love that they are sheer and look like gloss

AZ said...

Oh yay I'm so glad you swatched these =) do you remember seeing 260 Jardin de Bagatelle at the counter? I'm interested in that one and it seems like it might be a color you're interested in so I'm wondering why you didn't pick it up.

Evelyn said...

It's hard to go wrong with Guerlain, their lipsticks are beautiful. I will definitely try these. I tried a few of the Armani sheers and I wasn't so happy with them, then again the stand in which they were placed made me drop half of them on the floor as I was putting them back which soured my mood.

Charlestongirl said...

AZ, I did and it was a toss-up. I liked it equally with one I did purchase. I'm sure I'll go back to get it.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh No, Evelyn! Did not the Guerlain rep pick them up or help you? Sounds like a poorly designed stand. At my NM, they were insert into a very large display of all kinds of Guerlian colors. No way to tip over.

Charlestongirl said...

Jessica, these should look great on your clients. I love that shiny look - even for TV.

CGirl said...

I bought Rose Imperial (couldn't resist on when these appeared on Sephora the last day of the sale). I love the way it looks on your arm, but I'm wondering how close is it to Chantecaille's Sunrise lip chic?

Evelyn said...

Oh no, it was the Armani's I dropped when I was trying them at Sephora. They have that unique shape that you have to fit properly in these slots in the wall. Not the most intelligently designed display.

I'm sure once they fix up the Guerlain area it will be perfect.

Unknown said...

Fabulous

too_busy_to_stitch said...

I am SO looking forward to these getting to the UK - I only hope that they get all the shades!

Michelle MaBelle said...

You purchased ALL of them? Wow!

bisbee said...

We must be aligned in some way - I've been looking for a review of these, and here it is!

I've added a few of these shades to the running list on my phone. I'm going to Tyson's on Saturday with my friend...actually going to look for an outfit for a wedding, but I will look at makeup as well (of course)!

By the way, have you seen the Sephora Beta site? I already sent them a STRONG comment - I HATE the way they are showing the swatches now - no info until you click on the swatch - no name or number - it's really horrid! Hope they fix that soon!

yesplease1816 said...

These are so beautiful, CG! I've never tried any of the Guerlain Shine Automatiques--but I think I'll start with one of these! Goodness...reading your blog has become dangerous for my wallet! :P

Mary Ann said...

Thank you for the review and swatches. I don't mind a little sparkle on the lips. My dentist always compliments me on it, even though I try to clean my lipstick off before he works on my mouth. Good time to order since Saks has triple points on thursday.

Charlestongirl said...

CGirl,

I think it's very different from Sunrise. Check it out at the counter.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soo, they are indeed!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi To Busy!

I found it interesting that I bought a shade Sephora doesn't offer. There was no mention from Guerlain of store exclusives, so I had no explanation.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh. my, Michelle...not all of them. "Only" five.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bisbee,

I am not thrilled with the new site. I believe one should fix what's broken, but leave the rest alone. That's called enhancement, not radical overhaul...of something that already worked well.

Charlestongirl said...

It's dangerous for mine too, Yesplease.

Charlestongirl said...

What a nice dentist, Mary Ann!

Isla said...

Oooh...these look spectacular!

Gia said...

These look lovely, thanks for this post. Do you know if they are permanent or a limited edition launch?

Isla said...

Oh, yes, hopefully permanent?

Hummingbird5 said...

I so love both the formula and splendid spectrum of colors in the entire Rouge Automatique range, but I absolutely hate the container. Am I alone in this, or does anyone else feel that application is made very awkward by the wide, lidless design? Unless you hold the tube at almost 90 degrees to your lips, the lipstick must be pushed so far out to compensate for the wide container, I feel as though I will break it right off.

Hummingbird5 said...

I so love both the formula and splendid spectrum of colors in the entire Rouge Automatique range, but I absolutely hate the container. Am I alone in this, or does anyone else feel that application is made very awkward by the wide, lidless design? Unless you hold the tube at almost 90 degrees to your lips, the lipstick must be pushed so far out to compensate for the wide container, I feel as though I will break it right off.