Monday, April 23, 2012

YSL Beauté Pure Chromatics Wet & Dry Eyeshadow Palette for Summer 2012 - in No. 9


YSL Beauté's new Summer 2012 Look offers three new Pure Chromatics Wet & Dry Eyeshadow Palettes ($52): #7, Shell, #8, Sand (featured here), and #9, Stone. I had planned to purchase one and selected #8 quickly. Neutrals and I get along. Then I started swatching and selected #9 too. It was much more neutral on my skin than I anticipated by looking at the compact.

Through the magic of water and a revolutionary new process, Yves Saint Laurent has pushed the limits of color with Pure Chromatics, a new generation of eye shadows. Real makeup artist magic is made easy with emblematic harmonies that captivate the eyes.

A new water-process technology, exclusive to YSL, is the latest discovery in color for pigments that can be more intense and dramatic than ever before - or can be applied for everyday wear (more me). You can use these shadows wet or dry to vary your eye look from office-appropriate to party-ready.
 
Water enhances the color pigments in Pure Chromatics. When used wet, the water activates the pigments and gives full intensity to their color. The effect is the satiny powder transforms into a luxurious cream while pearls shine with a metallic finish.

Pure Chromatics #9's three neutrals appealed to me the first time I saw them. I had a lukewarm reaction to the charcoal navy shade - a misleading impression. Once I swatched it, I saw beautiful possibilities.

My swatch photos were taken in strong outdoor light, but the sun was pulling a disappearing act the day I snapped them, so they are not as bright as I'd like. I've had no opportunities for a re-do since then. What I hope you see is that these shadows are not at all outrageously shimmery when applied dry. They are beautiful neutrals - three brown-based and one navy grey thrown in for contrast.

I swatched clockwise, starting at the top left in the palette, and I applied the shadows with a sponge-tipped applicator. My favorite shades? Second down and bottom swatches on my arm. The light shimmer brightens my eyes and adds a little star power to taupe.

As reader Eileen pointed out, it looks like the model for the collection is wearing the copper from #8 and the charcoal blue from #9. Even if she's not, they would be a pretty combination.

You can purchase YSL's new Summer 2012 Look at YSL's Web site or any YSL counter. There are plenty of other goodies to tempt you if you aren't in the market for a new eye shadow palette.

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! I've anxiously been awaiting your review of this. Are the shadows in this palette more sheer than the other Chromatics quads? They look quite sheer in these swatch photos especially given you applied them with a sponge tip applicator?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This one is calling me!

Zeynep said...

I love this quad and I can't wait to get mine. Gorgeous colors.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, PP!

They are actually sheer. I built the color for these photos. If you want kapow, use them wet.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Grace!

I really like it - I'm conservative, and it is too. :)

Charlestongirl said...

They are on counters not, Zeynep. Let us know what you think!