Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dior Summer 2012 Croisette Collection: 5 Couleurs Croisette Edition Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Aurora

The 2012 Dior Summer 2012 Croisette Collection invites us on the sundeck of the Croisette for a very chic escape. With a touch of French glamour, Dior’s beloved French Croisette unveils its warmth and freshness for an elegant and glamorous season.

The Promenade de la Croisette is a prominent road in Cannes, France. It stretches along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea and is about two km long. The Croisette is known for the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès, where the Cannes Film Festival (Le Festival International du Film de Cannes) is held. Many expensive shops, restaurants, and hotels line the road, which runs completely along the coastline of Cannes. The Dior Croisette Collection combines the peace of the French countryside with the splendor of Saint Tropez.

Two limited-edition 5 Couleurs Croisette Edition Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palettes in luminescent sunny shades were inspired by the most glamorous emblems of the French Riviera. One, Swimming Pool, evokes the shimmering azure of the Mediterranean sea. The other, Aurora ($60, #654, and my selection) was inspired by the blazing heat of the sand. I can almost see the sands on the beach when I look at Aurora on my eyelids.

The unique shadows are embossed with sunburst pleats, inspired by the sophisticated “pleating” technique used on the fabric of Dior dresses.

Although the pink shade in the center of this palette looked a bit strange, surrounded by warm, sunny shades, it actually works on the skin. I swatched all the shades clockwise, top to bottom on my arm, finishing at the bottom with the pink. I used a sponge-tipped applicator and applied the shades heavily. My photos were taken in full sun.

I really love this palette. I know I must have a hundred gold shadows, but most new ones delight me. This one is a warm, yellow gold that applies evenly (always a plus). The brown is a wonderful shade because it's subtle and wearable with a light application, but offers a copper-toned punch with a dark application. The orange shades is brilliant with a heavy application, as shown here. It reminds me of a shimmering summer sun.

The fleshy gold in the lower left corner of the palette makes a great base shade, setting the stage for the other warm, shimmering shades - or a highlighting shade. Now, check out the pink at the bottom of my arm. To some, it may look jarring - out of place. While I can't wear it with the orange hue, I can wear it with the other shades in Aurora. It's different - good different.

I purchased my 5 Couleurs Croisette Edition Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette at Neiman Marcus, where InCircle is underway. You can also find it at Sephora. I'll bet it's available at all Dior counters (although I haven't had any time to shop this week).

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Nawi said...

I bought both palettes just could not choose I love them both. Did you get any else from the dior summer collection. I love reading your reviews

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nawi!

YES! More to come tomorrow. Those lipsticks were calling my name.

Imperfectionist said...

Really nice palette. I find their eyeshadows to be great quality. Must check these out!

Michelle MaBelle said...

It looks nice in the palette but the swatches on your arm look very light. One of the colors does not look like it shows up at all. Judging by all the blue veins and pink on your arm, you seem very cool toned. How do you pull off such a warm colored palette? Don't forget to use sunblock! I see some sun damage on your arms, sadly.

Charlestongirl said...

Michelle,

That sun damage came from college and the years after when we older gals had no idea that tans were harmful! Tans were in, and I tried very hard to get one. In retrospect, it was stupid. Now I have sun spots. Now I use SPF 50, wear a hat, the whole routine. Older and wiser.

The colors are are very buildable. The only one I'd call particularly light is the fleshy gold.

My skin works with warm and cool colors. I love the options!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Imperfectionist,

Yes, the quality is consistently fabulous. I love that about Dior shadows.

Lena said...

Thank you for this post! Love this palette!

yesplease1816 said...

I had been seriously considering this one--but I don't think I can justify spending that much on this particular palette. I just have way too many colors that are dupes or very similar. These are nice though! Did you get Swimming Pool too?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lena,

Did you see the blue one, Swimming Pool? It's really pretty, but not practical for my life.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Yesplease,

No. Swimming Pool is just not "me." I have many gorgeous Mediterranean blue, e.g., Armani. I don't wear them often, so I was able to forgo SP.