Saturday, April 7, 2012

Tom Ford Gold Dust Lip Lacquer

The limited-edition Gold Dust Lip Lacquer ($30) by Tom Ford was calling my name. "Charlestongirl, buy me because I look beautiful." Gold Dust, I wanted to buy you, but I was shopping at Saks online, and they wanted to charge me over 1/3 of your price for shipping. I mentioned the shipping constraint in a comment, and reader Kate reminded me that I could buy you at Neiman Marcus online. I'm so happy she did - and I did.

Tom Ford, the man who does little wrong, "brings a solar-touched seduction to your lips" with Gold Dust. I say "little," rather than "no," because some of his fragrance ads seem to me to be in bad taste. I continue to buy his fragrances, so they aren't that over the top. I've been known to stop buying fashion from a male pair of designers because their advertisements were demeaning to women - their customers. Go figure.

Back to the lip gloss. In Gold Dust, delicate, gold-particle pearls are infused in a clear and lustrous lacquer that creates a super-reflective shine and a lavishly soft, moist, lightweight feel. The feel on the lips is great - almost imperceptible. Not only is it not sticky or tacky, I can barely tell I have it on, except for the stunning shine I see when I apply it.

Wear Gold Dust on a nude lip as a sensuous lip accent (you can!), or layer it over your favorite lip color for a glistening, sheer, warm gold sheen. I think you'll be happy with it.

Can you see the lively shine in my swatch photos? Gold Dust isn't really sprinkled with gold glitter, as the name implies (and unlike the new Guerlain's gorgeous new Shine Automatique lipsticks, which do have sparkles that outlast the color). It's sheer and shiny. It adds a touch of gold, which lasts longer on my lips if worn over another lip product. While there is fragrance listed in the ingredients, I smell or taste no discernible scent or taste.

Everyone needs a gold lip gloss for summer (I need them year round). Tom Ford's new option is worth your attention. If you don't have a Tom Ford Beauty counter near you (I don't), check it out online at Neiman Marcus, where shipping is free with the code SPRINGFS. Because Gold Dust is a limited edition, you should consider it this spring, before it makes way for the next seasonal blockbuster.

P.S. My finger isn't really that crooked. I think I must have had it bent forward when I snapped the photo.

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Eileen said...

Ooooh, I'm so glad you got this one! Isn't it just like a ray of sunshine? I was captivated by his original Vinyl Lip Lacquer (white pearl) and ordered Gold Dust as soon as it became available. White pearlescence as a topper for my cool pinks, roses, and berries and a bit of golden sunshine for my warm pinks, corals, and peaches--I've got it covered ;-)

Every woman needs a gold layering gloss, but some of the glosses, although extremely beautiful, are a bit heavy handed when it comes to the glitter factor. Either the particles of glitter are too large or there is simply too much. I think TF got it just right; especially for those of us who just want a bit of sunshine rather than full on gold plating.

TheDiversePhD said...

Very pretty :)

Charlestongirl said...

I agree, Eileen...just right!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Beauty and the Scientist!

Ditto!

yesplease1816 said...

That is gorgeous! I love gold glosses--I have an Estee Lauder High Gloss in Bronze from a while ago that I loved and a Juicy Tube in a lighter, glittery gold that looks great over anything. I guess I could use a new lipgloss...:)

beautiful me plus you said...

great review...I love golden glosses, they add such a dimension and fullness to the lips, but my God the price of that lip gloss.... hefty :) x Marina

sunnlitt said...

Gosh, you and Eileen are just MAJOR cheer leaders for stuff that I did not know that I NEEDED!!
That gloss is lovely. Sigh.
Glad to know that your finger is straight and strong.
Happy Easter....

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Yesplease,

We can always make room for a new gloss, can't we?

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Marina, TF makeup isn't inexpensive - but generally is so worth the price.

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, Sunnlitt!

I swear Eileen was my sister and BFF in a former life.

Karym said...

Hi Charlestongirl! I have Chanel's Sparkle D'or from the Holiday 2011 collection, do you think this is different enough to warrant a pucrchase?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Karym!

I do, but I don't know your "tolerance" for related colors. Me? I need them all. :)