Tuesday, April 17, 2012

YSL Beauté Golden Gloss for Summer 2012

YSL has introduced a stellar collection for Summer 2012.The promotional photo shows a woman with full makeup hanging on the edge of a swimming pool looking up at what I assume is a fully clothed man. Perhaps he just returned from work to find his trophy wife doing leg kicks? While the photo is unique, it didn't do it for me. The makeup did. Isn't that what matters?

All four Golden Glosses ($30) reached out and grabbed me when I saw them at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie. I've always been a fan of YSL's Golden Gloss. One can never have too many of them.

Worth its weight in gold, this gorgeous gloss dresses the lips in a sophisticated, high-shine shimmer that’s truly precious. Sparkling 24K gold flecks (0.2%) create a mirror-like effect for guaranteed glamour, while a complex of nourishing oils protect and hydrate for optimal comfort. Scented with a subtle hint of Mango that’s utterly irresistible.

Here's my own photo of the fab four. I placed them in numeric order, left to right.
  • #51, Golden Shell
  • #52, Golden Pebble
  • #53, Golden Pearl
  • #54, Golden Sand
All four are exquisite - in the tube, on the lips, with or without lipstick. I took my swatch photos in full sun. I swatched in the same order shown above, with Golden Shell (#51) at the top of my arm (you won't find these names on the tubes, but they are on the boxes). Look at the glorious shine!

Golden Shell is golden, but it's also a complex mixture of warm mauve and metallic rose. Seriously stunning and my favorite of the four. It's hard to select favorites among gorgeous glosses.

Golden Pebble, the next swatch down, looks raisin on my arm, and I guess that's a good way to describe the shade, but somehow it doesn't do justice to the sophisticated mix of brown and rose.

Golden Pearl is not your everyday, ordinary pink. It's suffused with shimmering, weightless gold and pearly particles, giving it a radiance that will turn your ho-hum lip colors (the ones that have been stuffed everywhere because you seldom wear them) into favorites. The golden and perfectly named Golden Sand at the bottom of my arm takes us back to the beach, the inspirational scene of many new summer collections.

I'm smitten with my new lip glosses and suggest you stop by your favorite YSL Beauté counter to take a look. The collection recently arrived here. It's also available at YSL's Web site, where you may have a hard time figuring out what's new and what's not.

Photo at top courtesy of YSL Beauté; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been eagerly awaiting this collection! YSL has really been attracting me lately and this collection is the most I've ever been tempted! I really want to get the bronzer since it looks so perfect for fair, cool skin! Does Golden Pebble settle into lip lines at all?

Aging Ophelia said...

Elegant colors, such as I'm into lately. Nice review-- it's nice to see another beauty blogger that isn't fifteen and in love with her own face!

Peace, Mari

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PP!

I don't think so, but I don't have any lip lines. I'm not sure I'm the best one to answer that question.

Charlestongirl said...

Mari,

I died laughing when I read your comment. Thanks for brightening my day.

cytaormina said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I am drawn to the raisin colored one. Love your blog, look forward to it every day with my morning coffee!

Unknown said...

Wow lucky you! I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a completely smooth lip surface. Not even teenagers. Non wonder you live buying lipsticks and glosses so much! I've never tried any YSL glosses but I think I may just cave with one or two of these. Thanks!

Mary Ann said...

Very pretty, I like the Golden Shell and Golden Pebble, usually get a new golden gloss each season. They are shiny and have just enough sparkle.
Thanks for the review.

Eileen said...

Living here in the country's epicenter for TW's, I got a real chuckle out of your comment. She does have that "I'll worship at your feet so long as you pay the bills" look about her, doesn't she? LOL Seriously, though, the makeup look is gorgeous. The terracotta and sapphire blue on her eyes really pop. YSL has a special knack when it comes to combining unapologetically bright and clear colors of superb quality. If you're going to try something bold and colorful, summer is the time to give it a go and YSL is a good brand to try. I must admit, I am a bigger fan of YSL's eyeshadows than I am of the glosses because they tend to dry my lips out :-(

Leigh said...

The ad does make me pause. The target audience seems to be us, but the perspective puts us into the man's position. The effect is slightly disconcerting.

But oh the glosses are so beautiful! The only one I'm not sure of is Golden Pebble. How do you think it would look on a fair-skinned brunette?

Nida Moughal said...

OH my these glosses are so nice!

Nawi said...

wow beautiful glosses nr 51 was your favorite and the the 53 of 54? I am only allowed to get two from myself :-)

Unknown said...

what color of glitter would you say # 53 has in it?